1uz mkII build/full on resto

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
i got home pissed off from work and i had about 3 hours before the wife got home, so i had a couple of beers and got the ebrake handle in place and rigged up the cables, and also got the upper end of the engine dissasembled so i can start running wire..
p1509970_1.jpg

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
RedPhoenix;1510284 said:
The build is looking good man!

hey thanks man,
im still trying my best to have it running and moving by april.... intirror/exterrior not so much, just enough to be road legual would be fine with me!

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
took the rear rotors into work yesterday and turned .040" off the ebrake drum radius.
they work perfectly now...

but, damn, every thing has been an up hill battle today...

go the car rolled out of the garage,

started sand blasting my caliper bits...

the check valve in my compressor nuked now when ever it shuts off the check valve opens and bleeds all the air out thru the head. so I have to let it build to almost 120psi than start blasting...

then the bleeder screw on the last caliper i was taking appart snapps off on me....

so i tried the easy out and that wasnt happening,

then the pb blaster, heat and easy out...

no go.

now ive been building up weld to get a nut on it, welding the nut and over heading it (glowing like yellow , hot) then doucing it with pb blaster, letting it cool, then turning it...

so far all thats acomplished has been braking 4 nuts off the broken bleeder stud...

looks like i have to admit defeat here and find a new left had side front caliper...

Im starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by this project... I mean, ive gotten so much done, and its decently close to running... but im starting to look at it as a chore... i have to really work up the ambition to go out there and get any thing done on it... that and aprils comming quick! Ill be real pissed if i spend the whole summer working on it without being able to enjoy it!!!

well, at least the caliper hangers are sand blasted... Ill force my self back out there after dinner to finish the sand blasting on the 3 calipers at least...

p1513821_1.jpg

p1513821_2.jpg

p1513821_3.jpg

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
the ghoul;1513821 said:
looks like i have to admit defeat here and find a new left had side front caliper...

Have you priced them? It's not worth your time to save the other one. I had the exact same thing happen on a Sunbird. When the easy-out breaks, it's time to throw it out.

Im starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by this project... I mean, ive gotten so much done, and its decently close to running... but im starting to look at it as a chore... i have to really work up the ambition to go out there and get any thing done on it... that and aprils comming quick! Ill be real pissed if i spend the whole summer working on it without being able to enjoy it!!!

I've been there. Sometimes it's best to let your goals slip a few months and come back at it later. I mean, if it's not fun, what's the point?

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
limequat;1514159 said:
Have you priced them? It's not worth your time to save the other one. I had the exact same thing happen on a Sunbird. When the easy-out breaks, it's time to throw it out.

I've been there. Sometimes it's best to let your goals slip a few months and come back at it later. I mean, if it's not fun, what's the point?

yeah last night i saw that a rebuilt caliper thru rock auto is only $30 shipped...
Icing on the cake.... this morning i woke up and ive got flash burn so bad my eyelid is all swelled up and puffy.... stupid me decided that it was only going to be some tack welds so there is no point in braking out the mask....

I guess it depends on if the guy down the street comes back with one or not... In the long run though, i think id be better off with the rebuilt one simply because after i take it appart i only need to do some light sand blasting to it before powder coating.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
the ghoul;1514200 said:
yeah last night i saw that a rebuilt caliper thru rock auto is only $30 shipped...
Icing on the cake.... this morning i woke up and ive got flash burn so bad my eyelid is all swelled up and puffy.... stupid me decided that it was only going to be some tack welds so there is no point in braking out the mask....

I guess it depends on if the guy down the street comes back with one or not... In the long run though, i think id be better off with the rebuilt one simply because after i take it appart i only need to do some light sand blasting to it before powder coating.

^ Lol, I did that too in december. I think I got you beat with the stitches though.

<Jeff Foxworthy> You know you're a car guy if...you weld by braille...you've ever gotten a sunburn on your eyelids...your car was obsolete 20 years ago...you've ever gotten a concusion when the ratchet slipped...</Jeff Foxworthy>

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
limequat;1514231 said:
^ Lol, I did that too in december. I think I got you beat with the stitches though.
LOL, i think your right, i think the only stitches ive ever gotten were when i had dental work done...
i seem to get by ok with just wrapping any major cut in a on teeshirt!

with exceptions of the caliper from hell, i got the rest of the stuff sand blasted today.

p1514437_1.jpg

guy down the street didnt find a cliper at parts galore so i think i will just order one form rock auto and call it a day...

im thinking for powdercoat *since you all seem geeked on me turning out something classy* going with this dark grapite metallic with a thick clear topcoat *some radiator mounts i did for a guy a while back*

p1514437_2.jpg

also, i ordered some KVR brake pads for all four corners today from george at raptorracing

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Jetfixr757;1514824 said:
That car is going to be a beast what if you put a blower on the UZ, all bets are off.....
Jet

there are a couple of kits out there, and down the road im planning on building an extra engine just for that..
My favorite option is a company out of australia *i think* that sells an intake manifold, and drive snout kit for a 1uz to slapp a svt lightining roots style super charger on it... rumor has it with the stock pully, all you need is 7mgte injectors and some type of tuning and it will boost up to 6-7 psi all day long on the stock 1uz bits.....
but ive never talked to any one running this or looked into it too deep....

Kinda trying to keep focused on getting the thing runnin! LOL

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Nice progress, keep at it! You'll love it once it is finished. Got to start mine up this past weekend since I was moving and moved it to its new garage. I really miss my car during the salt season here :( As for schedules slipping, just need to make sure it is done for the June show. My plans were to get mine done by April as well...it finally made it on to the road in July/August. Hang in there! If I weren't on the opposite side of the state I'd come help wrench/wire.

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
milisakeracing;1515515 said:
Nice progress, keep at it! You'll love it once it is finished. Got to start mine up this past weekend since I was moving and moved it to its new garage. I really miss my car during the salt season here :( As for schedules slipping, just need to make sure it is done for the June show. My plans were to get mine done by April as well...it finally made it on to the road in July/August. Hang in there! If I weren't on the opposite side of the state I'd come help wrench/wire.
Either way I'll be T the show. Weather it's with the supra or with the 91 mr2 I'm picking up Sunday.....
I hope by then the supra will at least be on the road!
As far as progress....
Got the caliper in the mail a few days ago... Finally today I got out of work on time and stripped down the caliper, sand blasted it, and powder coated everything. Turned out good, sad that I put the clear on just a little too thick and it cools a little too fast so there are a few cracks in the clear on the valve covers....
All and all, not a bad use of a night.
p1521706_1.jpg

p1521706_2.jpg

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Been a little side tracked by a 91 mr2 I picked up for a daily driver, but despite the work that's been going on there I made some headway on the supra.
aside from one dust boot that i mangled (make sure the old one is removed fully before you attempt to press the new one it! :rofl: )
calipers are all rebuilt and ready to go in
p1523986_1.jpg

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
been about a month... figgured id let you all in on whats been keeping me busy

I got sick and tired of driving the minivan around so i went out and bought a piece of junk MR2 to get me around town till the supra was done enough...
well little did i know that it was actually a piece of junk!!

here was the car when i bought it;
p1542087_1.jpg

p1542087_2.jpg

Kid tried to start it in the middle of winter and couldnt get it to fire, and let it sit. When i went to pick it up, it started right up (after i talked him down to $700 from the $1400 he wanted; and he kept his rims, seats, steering wheel, and battery).
What i knew was wrong with it when i bought it;
- lower radiator core support was busted off
-200k on the car, 150k on the engine he put in it
- new bushings and suspension all the way around
- seats he gave me were ripped up and nasty
- needed body work like crazy
- part of the exhaust was missing
- timing belt was frayed
- idle would not settle down to 800rpm (stayed at 1200)
- passingers mirror was busted
- radio was missing
- shifter boot was missing
- wheels were comically bad
- drivers door panel was bad
- upper timing cover was missing
What i discovered while loading it on the trailer;
- none of the drivers door/window controles were working
- you had to push the clutch peddle to the floor to get it to dissengauge and after holding it there for a while it would slowly start to re-engauge
- all the bolts were snapped off in the engine hatch
- e brake didnt work

So far this car has had a snow ball effect in repairing it; one thing leads to another, leads to another ect....

The lower core support was broken off and twisted like it had been run into a curb;
- replace the core support
- radiator turned out to be bad
- radiator fans were missing (just gone, no trace of them)
- lower radiator isolator rubbers were bad

E brake cables were snapped;
- replace cables
- all the brackets/clips/pins were missing from the rear calipers

passingers side pop-up headlight was bad
- had to remove front bumper cover to access it
- had to cut the front pumper off destroying it ferther
- had to distroy front turn signals and trim bits

*this one is my fave*
trouble shoot the fast idle
- discover the coolant temp probe was bad
didnt fix issue
- decided the egr valve was bad, removed egr system.
- in the process of removing the egr system i had to undo a fitting next to the distributer wire connector, paranoid that i might damage the connector i attempted to remove it from distributor. As i wiggled the connector i realized that the whole distributor was rotating (the bolt was never fully tightened)
- looked for timing marks on lower timing belt cover and found out
#1 the lower belt cover was also missing
#2 the bolt holding the crank pulley on was backed out about 1"
#3 alternator belt was chewed up
- removed crank pulley bolt and discovered why it was backed out 1" (cross threaded)
- attempted to remove crank pulley (stuck on there so hard i snapped off 3 of the grooves on it and dislodged it from the rubber center isolator) I had to devise a pully puller to get it off.
- discovered the reasion the timing belt was chewed ( the aligment washer that goes between the timing belt cog and pully was bent and twisted)
- discovered why the alt belt was chewed up (alternator was locked up solid, casing was shattered)
- checked all the timing belt pullies, 1 was extreamly bad, another one had 1/8" of in and out play. The one with in and out play turned out to be the oil pump! :32:
- oil pump is intigrated into the front housing of engine, which attaches to the oil pan
- had to remove the new headder i just got done installing, get a new oil pan gasket
- found out why i had to rebend the header i bought for the car (was hitting the oil pan); turns out the engine the kid used was from a celica and featured a crank shaft counter ballance to lessen engine noise and vibration. This required a deeper oil pan to accomidate, thus the fitment issue.
- counter ballance was promptly removed, and oil port plugged.

All the new bits are arriving little by little and hopefully after this weekend she will be moving under her own power again.

Dont think its all a massive sob story,
i have been having fun when ordering parts;
- only oem replacement radiator I could find was $500, so i went with an aluminum unit for $200
- all the body repair panels i would need came up to $1000, so i went with a full widebody kit
p1542087_3.jpg

p1542087_4.jpg

for $700 shipped and a local set of good doors for $100
- decided to throw my old corbeau racing seats in the car with brand new micro suede seat covers
p1542087_5.jpg

for $400 *including the seat brackets and sliders*
as apposed to a set of good stock seats for $300
- naturally going with a ricer steering wheel insted of keeping the massive air bag steering wheel that was in there!
p1542087_6.jpg

- Ive also been having fun with the sterio; installing my touch screen dvd player, 6.5" componets on all four corners, 4 channel amp, 1 channel amp powering a pair of 8" subs, and a making behind the seat boxes to house the rear speakers and subs
p1542087_7.jpg

p1542087_8.jpg

p1542087_9.jpg

well, seeing how there is an end in sight for the MR2 build i started braking off a chunk of the mad fat gov-ment refund cash for supra bits;

- KVR brake pads i ordered about 3 months ago are finally shipping soon!

- dash board that i bought 5 months ago is finaly shipping

- bought the flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing and all the hardwear from www.Quantum-Auto.com

- ordered the howe 82870 throw out bearing from summitracing.com

- ordered the howe 8287 remote bleeder kit from summitracing.com

- ordered another quart of por-15 semigloss black from summitracing.com

and after the MR2 is out of the garage the supra is going right back in for more work..

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Altezza576;1543984 said:
How are you engaging your W58 clutch with the 1UZ bell housing?

Howe throw out bearing, with bleeder relocation kit... if you do a quick search you will come up with the correct part number and it can be had thru summit for $200 ish for both parts....

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

Well that sucked!!!!
that demon MR2 sucked up a heck of alot of time and money with not alot to show for it...
so i kicked her out of the garage for the time being and got back to work on the supra....

p1561360_1.jpg

So back to it;
found some time to install the valve covers; I was worried they would clash with the body color too much but I think they are just right
p1561360_2.jpg

p1561360_3.jpg

btw; I loooooove real jdm engines!
p1561360_4.jpg

I got the hole knocked into the firewall for the engine harness and did a quick test fit of the passingers side header.... Looks like the only modification I will have to make is opening up the hole pattern (again these are cheap eBay 3uz tundra headers)
p1561360_5.jpg

p1561360_6.jpg