1uz mkII build/full on resto

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Fubar231;1474858 said:
You know your from michigan when you come to ohio to get rust free cars!

(Coming from someone who lives in columbus ohio)

yeah, sad aint it?
ive been plucking cars out of ohio forever.
On the way to pick up the supra we passed by 2 caprice areo backs (didnt know any one still had those around), basket case 78 trans am, and a 80's elcameno all by the side of the road with for sale signs asking for next to nothing for them... The trans am looked solid and the guy only wanted $800 for it. I was tempted to rent a truck and trailer and tell my friend with me to drive it back!

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Merry x-mas to me!
Went on a buying binge… I been a good boy!
-xenocron.com 255lph fuel pump (model xfp-341)
-cheap-o ebay tundra headers (I know they are not going to fit, but they should be close enough for a good starting point)
p1474944_1.jpg

- 1.5” dia “J” pipe sections (two of them)

so after the stitch welding is done and the underbody is por-15’ed I can throw all the hard lines back into it, hoist the tank into place (with new pump!!), install the rear cradle for good, and start fabricating the exhaust system…

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
hu, didnt get as much done as i wanted to...
guy 2 doors down from me gave me $50 to finish pulling an enging for him (just had to dissconnect the o2 sensor, and take out 3 bolts supporting the passingers output shaft housing and she popped right out)
then as soon as i finished stitch welding the intirror i ran out of weld gas....
and the gas supply place is closed no thru the end of the weekend...
so it looks like ill have to wait to finish the stitch welding on the underbody.
but at least the intirror is done!!!!
p1476622_1.jpg

p1476622_2.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I purchased a set of those headers as well! I had to drill out the top holes on the flange to get it to slide onto the exhaust studs though. Other than that, the only other thing I see as a bad point would be the cheezy flanges, but the welds are very well done.

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Chambers;1476645 said:
I purchased a set of those headers as well! I had to drill out the top holes on the flange to get it to slide onto the exhaust studs though. Other than that, the only other thing I see as a bad point would be the cheezy flanges, but the welds are very well done.

wow, i was totally expecting to have to replace the flanges!!
I think with the mk2 im dealing with less room between the frame rails and i think my steering linkage is in a diffent place...
so i think mine will need lots of re-work...

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Hey Kevin, looks like things are rolling! To my understanding, is that the tundra headers hit the steering shaft for the LS/SC/GS chassis. I'd imagine the fit is going to be much more difficult for you chassis.

I'm keeping up with your thread everything looks way promising!

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
ihiryu;1477063 said:
Hey Kevin, looks like things are rolling! To my understanding, is that the tundra headers hit the steering shaft for the LS/SC/GS chassis. I'd imagine the fit is going to be much more difficult for you chassis.

I'm keeping up with your thread everything looks way promising!

yeah, im approaching these headers from the stand point that i will have to cut them apart and re-configure them. I basically bought these ones hoping the head flanges are some what correct, and for the exhaust flanges, collector section, o2 bungs, and piping. Any thing close to correct fitment would just be a bonus.

I figured if i couldn’t make these work its been proven that the sc400 headers fit with minimal modifications.... i just want something that looks a little bit more flashy, and hopefully flows better...

thanks for the encouragement and for lookin!!

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
ogre;1478058 said:
nice work... what kind of welder are you stich welding with?

nothing special, little linclon 115v model with 135 in the name (can never remember). Im running .023 solid wire with 75/25 gas i use that little welder for darn near every thing!

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Please don't use a mig welder on your headers.
But the build looks great anyways. Keep up the good work

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
dslocal;1478918 said:
Please don't use a mig welder on your headers.
But the build looks great anyways. Keep up the good work

ill just dip into my trust fund and pick up a tig....

serriously, on this project, i gotta work with what i have.

I know the ebay listing clames its stainless, but im betting its a very low grade. that with the clean air mask i picked up from work (has a resperator tube built into it for a fresh air supply) I have no doubt i will be able to weld them safely.

They wont look the best, but im not going for show quality. Im going to clean them up best i can and eaither do some headder wrap or i have some good high temp header paint...

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
oh mannnnnn...
ive been a shut in since the snow started flying around here!
but progress has been made.
Ive slowly been working on the wire harness
- AC, cruse, headlight washer and rear window washer systems deleted
- fuse panel and all under hood modules and relays relocated to trunk
- battery relocated to trunk
- 1uzfe wire harness integration

Im going to force my self out into the garage tomorrow to finish up the body welding, get it por-15ed and get the brake/fuel lines hung along with the gas tank fitted with a 255 fuel pump.
who knows, i much just get the rear suspension back in place as well as getting the drivers lower rocker patched...
see how well my new space heater thermostat works!!

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
the ghoul;1486487 said:
oh mannnnnn...
ive been a shut in since the snow started flying around here!
but progress has been made.
Ive slowly been working on the wire harness
- AC, cruse, headlight washer and rear window washer systems deleted
- fuse panel and all under hood modules and relays relocated to trunk
- battery relocated to trunk
- 1uzfe wire harness integration

Im going to force my self out into the garage tomorrow to finish up the body welding, get it por-15ed and get the brake/fuel lines hung along with the gas tank fitted with a 255 fuel pump.
who knows, i much just get the rear suspension back in place as well as getting the drivers lower rocker patched...
see how well my new space heater thermostat works!!

Good luck, may your heater be warm. I'm headed over to Parts Galore today. I hope I can see the cars under the snow. You need anything?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I have projects to work on it the garage as well and the heater isn't cutting it at all. Cold hands don't work correctly and I've always gotten the worst injuries because of it.

I need a bigger heater...

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Poodles;1486501 said:
I have projects to work on it the garage as well and the heater isn't cutting it at all. Cold hands don't work correctly and I've always gotten the worst injuries because of it.

I need a bigger heater...

^^