1uz mkII build/full on resto

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Lol! That's a bit of the reasion why I want to header wrap it the welds don't look the greatest...

Nah I'm still not worried about that linkage. Plenty of people have rin theirs closer to that shaft with no issues. The only real option to bypassing it would be going single pipe real close to the engine block.... Er... That or twin turbos up by the radiaror!

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Well, as usual things were a little more clear through sober eyes. The shifter situation was an easy fix, all I had to do was line up the gates and re-assemble.
Unfortunetly when I bolted the bellhousing up to the engine to do the measurements as instructed in the throw out bearing instructions; the measuremenst were way off...
Well it turns out I did need that 1/4" shim that was between the felx plate and crank... So the clutch and flywheel had to come off.

Setting up the throw out bearing was a snap. I ended up welding the alignment stud in the kit to one of the bolts holding the input shaft plate in place..
p1566908_1.jpg

the only thing that worries me is there was a missalignment in the clutch so the engine and trans didn't go together easily.. I'm affraid that it might have pressed the pilot bearing in ferther so I'm afraid the input shaft isn't seated properly into it...
It will be good enough for testing but I may just have to take it appart again to verrify it...

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Totally productive, anti-productivity day!
Got the drivers header finished.... Er... Ish...
I laied extra weld around the runners on the head side so I could port match and smooth em out and I may re-cut the collector to re-work the filler welds on that side... I'm not sure yet... The welding wasn't my best work, but I have done worse...
p1568017_1.jpg

p1568017_2.jpg

p1568017_3.jpg

p1568017_4.jpg

also pulled the trans down... Turns out the pilot bearing was right where I left it! That means the resistance I was feeling when mateing the engine and trans was just the clutch disc aligning and not the pilot shaft pushing the pilot bearing farther into the crank!!!

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
I hooked every thing up.
She turns over but no spark, I didn't hear the fuel pump kick, and the kill switch and nutral safety switch dosent work....

So it looks like I got some work to do.. I have a feeling there are some grounds I missed; now that it's light out they should be easier to see

p1570454_1.jpg

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
Not a whole heck of a lotta progress made after a full day of working on it!
Turned it over alot and it didn't fire;
sprayed either down it and got a few pops;
checked over all my wire work, verrified all the grounds were in place and all the relays were wired and working;
checked for spark, nuddin;
jumpered the fule pump cuz I didn't hear it and blead out the air from the fuel line;
and it was pumping fuel..
Checked and the coils are getting power, nothing at the spark plugs.
I ran a ground strap from firewall, to both the heads; still no spark.
So I stuck some narrow screw drivers in the distributer cap and rotated the crank and got no continuity out of the one... Didn't bother with the other one yet; got no continuity between the coil and plug... So I'm thinking either it's cap and rotors or I need better trouble shooting tools...

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
SHE RUNS !!!

Turns out there were 6 bad injectors!

Luckily i had a set of 6 7mgte injectors kicking around. I swapped them in just to see if the car would start... The 7mgte green tops are apparently an upgrade *reasion i bought them to start with* so i might as well find two more and wire up my AF guage and Perfect power SMT6

the ghoul

Sep 30, 2009
warren, MI
WTB.... $4k come pick it up!
Still needs;
- some sensors wired up
- exhaust fabricated
- brake/clutch system blead
- an to flaired adapter for clutch lines
- driveshaft lengthened
- alternator installed
- coolent system hooked up
- power steering hooked up
- put every thing back together...

MR2 build thread; http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-2-mr2-sw20/Toyota-MR2-49943-91-mr2-project-dd.html
as my friend boby put it "this car is a kentucky fried bucket of sadness" it literaly has been one cluster *bleep* after another