1990 Toyota Supra Turbo Buildup - Satans Little Helper...

What will happen when i turn the key?

• Total voters

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
So, basically... You're proving to us that you're too much of a tightarse to actually FIX any of your car's issues, yet you wish to pass on "techinical" advice???

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
LilMissMkIII;1502383 said:
So, basically... You're proving to us that you're too much of a tightarse to actually FIX any of your car's issues, yet you wish to pass on "techinical" advice???

uuuum no....im building my turbo car for a reason....im retiring the na....its not worth spending money on as its an 87 and needs too much work....my 1990 turbo is just about finished and thats gonna be the new daily...

dont judge before you know the whole story...

i purchased that na....month later i installed a new flywheel, clutch, transmission, drive shaft, master clutch cylinder, slave cylinder, brake master, rotors, pads, tires, interior, shifter, radio, etc.....i realized that i cant build my daily driver so i need another car...purchased a turbo supra that is just about finished its build..

thank you

p1502389_1.jpg

briggsy

TEAM BHG 247
Feb 4, 2007
with the kangaroos
i think we have every right to judge you, yes kai has and oil leak, you shouldnt have to watch you oil levels consitantly, and what your saying is just keep driving it. IMHO you shouldnt drive a car that is leaking it does more damage than anything else. i still dont see why you have to show everyone what a stock engine looks like..

sorry to hear about this kai, anything we can do let us know

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
briggsy;1502407 said:
i think we have every right to judge you, yes kai has and oil leak, you shouldnt have to watch you oil levels consitantly, and what your saying is just keep driving it. IMHO you shouldnt drive a car that is leaking it does more damage than anything else. i still dont see why you have to show everyone what a stock engine looks like..

sorry to hear about this kai, anything we can do let us know

i didnt exactly say to "keep driving it"....i told him not to abandon the car....an oil leak is very minor and easily fixed...

i showed the engine as its obvious that i fix things that need fixing....the na isnt worth it

i give you props...you accomplished being a dick

TRG22

May 18, 2007
UK
Those cam covers look beautiful Kai, think I will steal that colour scheme for mine.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member

I used 5 very light dust coats of primer (high temperature), 1 can of Ford's 'Solar Gold' for both cam covers (6 coats), NO clearcoat, and then the detailing was done with masking tape, and brilliant hammerite lacquer, good for 200+ degree's.

Take your time with masking though, is all i can say. While they look good, they could have been a LOT better if i had spend a good hour more on the masking!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
This week! :

Removed the old CPS, and the guys came over from the UK & installed a new one with the proper airgaps and resistances with a new oil seal - all nice and shiny and not full of gunk! Throttle body removed, cleaned, calibrated and ready for install. I think while the throttle body is off, i'm going to remove and clean the ISCV and rewire the coil pack leads with the proper plug, and some heatshrink. GO GO GADGET CAR :D

Also got the N/A power steering reservoir and almost new hoses to go on - just need the bracket and some more Dexron II and i'm good to go! :)

Apologies for my earlier moodyness - winter brings out the worst thoughts!

Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
ITS BACK, BABY! :D

Coil pack wiring isn't perfect, but twisted & soldered, and covered with heatshrink should do the trick...ideally, i'd like to rewire half the fucking engine bay...but right now - not feasible - and i'll just have to deal with what i've got!

The power steering fluid reservoir hasn't been changed over yet, but, i've remounted the cleaned and primed bracket and put the reservoir in position temporarily, so it's driveable.

Timing was set to 12' BTDC as a test - and so far, no issues at all with regards to detonation or anything - if anything, it FEELS quicker. More punchy.

Still SO much work to do....but for now at least, i'm happy enough to drive it places without the worry that it's going to EXPLODE in a shower of bottom end ;)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Today!

Been spending some time cleaning up more of the wiring harness on the passenger side (Drivers side, for you), so off came the ignitor, the injector resistor pack and the relay. The bodywork was cleaned with a toothbrush and some kerosene, then wiped clean with a soapy sponge. Came up nice - although the paint underneath is in poor condition. The amount of accumulated gunk all over the engine bay surprises me. The blue one i have is OLDER than mine by 3 months, but it's in MUCH tidier shape. Oh well.

Anyway - like i said, i've already done the coil pack wiring, although i have a feeling that sooner or later, i'm going to need to pull the entire engine bay wiring loom and start from scratch. It's a temporary fix. The parts that came off were treated to a nice brush with kerosene and paper towels. Everything came up a treat. You can now even see the colour of the wires! *feigns shock*

The bracket that the resistor pack and the turbo pressure sender mount to came off, got scrubbed, lightly sanded to key it and given a good going over with the primer. For now, it's looking a million times cleaner, but eventually, i'll get out the can of 3E5 and do them body coloured, with a clearcoat. However, that day will be when the engine bay wiring loom gets re-done!

Here's a picture of how the bay looks now:

IMG_2227.jpg

And a closeup of the cleaned up wiring & brackets:

IMG_2229.jpg

And of course, as a special treat for you lot - a video!

[video=youtube;TlFzOxVFX9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlFzOxVFX9Y[/video]

Comments? Ideas? :)

Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I AM NOT A HAPPY MAN.

Check this...driving today culminated in the Power steering belt snapping on a hairpin bend at 50mph...try having your steering just go DEAD on you. Nearly stuffed it into a tree at high speed. Missed it by a Rizla. If that wasn't bad enough, the headgasket blew on the way back. limped it home, pissing coolant and PS fluid all over the road in the process. Won't even kick over now, although, i have a feeling the PS belt is wedged in the pulleys tight now, stopping it from moving. The engine was running before i turned it off, albeit lumpy, and there was still coolant, and plenty of oil in there.

So what next? Top end rebuild.

*sigh*

Thankfully, i have a whole engine gasket set & timing belt going spare here, as well as an engine hoist, and pretty much everything i need. I swear, this car is testing my fucking patience! :(

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Here are the pics of how it stands now:

IMG_2241.jpg

Yes, thats the upper intake manifold on the floor.

IMG_2243.jpg

Still struggling like a bastard to get the turbocharger off, so i can get the exhaust manifold off. Then i can get the head off, and then fit a new headgasket. For now though, i've been working for a few hours and my heart feels like it's about to pack in (only 4 months since heart surgery). I hate being disabled :/

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm sorry to hear about your new problems :(
But you seem to have the will and go to make it road worthy pretty soon :)

Are you just going to change the head gasket or are you doing anything else with the block and head?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Today!

*FINALLY* managed to get the turbo off the manifold, the annoying bolts holding the oil feed on came off after much swearing and scraped knuckles and back twisting, although i have NO idea how i'm going to put it all back on.

Been re-conning the turbo today - the oil feed gasket was totally perished and turned to dust when i touched it. The water feed was lacking a gasket at all, and was just held on with FIPG. Ran the tap & die over the actuator bolts & holes, and the 1/8" NPT hose takeoff from the compressor housing to the actuator. Cleaned with some petrol (not the internals, that'd be suicidal) and it's come up a treat.

The turbo itself, turns out that it WAS a Turbo Technics Stage 1 afterall - the compressor wheel in it looks almost identical to a Garrett T04B-S3 (70mm/48mm, 7 main fins, 7 sub) so it should be good for about 1.2 bar (17psi or so), although i'd hit fuel cut at around 10psi until i get around to fitting a new AFPR, SAFC II/SAFC Neo, 550cc injectors and Lexus AFM.

Tomorrow - the removal of the manifolds begins, and the head finally comes OFF with any luck.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Today!

The wiring is OUT and boy, does it look a mess! The lower intake is off, the exhaust manifold is off and so is the head. Bolt #9 was a bastard to get out as well, necessitating a 10mm allen key, a 10mm deep reach socket, and 9" of extensions. FINALLY got them all out - although they're done for, threads are mangled, some of the heads in them are going soft and i'm glad i have a set of ARP studs to go on instead. Just been cleaning everything thats been removed so far - the cylinder head is laying on my garden table, dribbling everywhere. I'll do it later.