1990 Toyota Supra Turbo Buildup - Satans Little Helper...

What will happen when i turn the key?

• Total voters

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Progress is good :)
Have you looked at the rust from the other side? I see that someone have done some welding, but skipped it from the boot.
Have you looked at my thread and at my rust in the same area?
Since you are about to weld everything, don't be afraid to cut out bad metal since all it takes for the rust to come back is one tiny little overseen rust spot.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
The rear arches were done on the outside - although not very neatly, i may end up cleaning those up in the near future as well - possibly even today. All the bad metal will be chopped out, and new steel welded into place. I've had a look at your build thread, and it looks like all Supra's in wet/damp climates suffer the same fate - probably due to all the salt and grit thats thrown up into our ungalvanised, and unlined rear arches!

After the welds have been ground down - i'll prime, wait for it to dry, and then give it a flat coat of Toyota 3E5.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Ah, it'll happen. It's worth waiting for to have it done right the first time. Nice lookin car you've got there, Sir.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Sorry about the lack of updates people - a combination of lack of internet, switching countries (back in France again), and heart surgery has all contributed.

Anyway, as its my first day back from hospital, and i'm supposed to be resting (pfft!), so i thought i'd post up the 'what went on' and pictures etc.

So, the welding got sorted in the end, the passenger side took about an hour or so - tack welded a mild steel strip into place at the, beat it with a ball pein hammer until it took the shape of the inner arch, and filled around it. It's definitely a nice, strong weld, although it's not exactly pretty - thanks mainly to the fact that the MIG welder we were using couldn't supply the wire feed at a slow enough rate, and was having thermal overload issues (ie, it was crap).

The drivers side only needed two patch sections welding in as the grotty looking metal on the inside was...well, redundant, as the outer arch job had filled almost all the gash, and was strong enough. MIG actually looks pretty simple to do, as long as you prep correctly. I may have to buy a MIG welder myself.

At the same time though, the curious (yet sizeable) oil leak, was found, and fixed. Turns out that the guy that did the work on the car, fitted the cam cover gaskets (rubber, re-usable), fitted them SO badly, that it was p*ssing out oil from both sides, at both ends - soaking the belt tensioner and crank pulley & gear at the front, and down the bellhousing at the back. The central gallery plugs were also loose, so new washers, and some loctite sealant sorted that out. The only casualty in that regard, is the gallery cover - it's crunchy like a rich tea biscuit, so it's hit the bin. If i'm doing the IS300 Coil-on-Plug mod, then it will be redundant anyway. The other casualty, is the Cam Position Sensor Cover. It disintegrated in my hands, literally. Nothing left of it.

At the same time, i took the opportunity to drain the coolant, and fit 90% of the Samco Hoses. I'll take pictures of the engine bay as it now stands tomorrow.

For now though, welding pictures, and one of how it looks in my courtyard...and alongside Shaz's (currently my D/D) :D

Attachments

• DSC00477.jpg
    DSC00477.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00480.jpg
    DSC00480.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 81

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Today:

Small job, as i'm not upto anything heavy yet - stitches and all that - don't want to burst open like a sausage!

The climate control unit on the UKDM/JDM cars is different than the USDM ones (unfortunately for us - we never got a cool digital one, and you can't retrofit!), and suffers from dry joints, meaning we're driving along and all of a sudden, you get a face full of cold air!

So, removed the unit (i need more screws i think), and took it indoors to the workbench. Granted, i only have a piddly 15watt Antex soldering iron, but resoldered about 1/2 of the boards joints, properly desoldering the old crap, and using fresh solder on the joints. Once installed in the car again - i have heat! Actual, adjustable heat! Auto setting even works!

However, i need a few of those 'grain of wheat' bulbs, as the screen demist/ac/econ & internal recirc buttons aren't lighting up.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Kai;1459168 said:
Today:

Small job, as i'm not upto anything heavy yet - stitches and all that - don't want to burst open like a sausage!

The climate control unit on the UKDM/JDM cars is different than the USDM ones (unfortunately for us - we never got a cool digital one, and you can't retrofit!), and suffers from dry joints, meaning we're driving along and all of a sudden, you get a face full of cold air!

So, removed the unit (i need more screws i think), and took it indoors to the workbench. Granted, i only have a piddly 15watt Antex soldering iron, but resoldered about 1/2 of the boards joints, properly desoldering the old crap, and using fresh solder on the joints. Once installed in the car again - i have heat! Actual, adjustable heat! Auto setting even works!

However, i need a few of those 'grain of wheat' bulbs, as the screen demist/ac/econ & internal recirc buttons aren't lighting up.

WOOT! I can always do without AC but a car with no heat burrrrrr.....

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Well the A/C in mine is....well...dead. The compressor, lines, evap etc are all there, but i'm all outta RS24. If i can find out what reciever/drier/seals i need, i'd like to do a retrofit to R134a, but if not, i'll get more RS24 and oil in the system.

But yeah, this time of year - you NEED heat. It's bloody freezing here.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Kai;1459192 said:
Well the A/C in mine is....well...dead. The compressor, lines, evap etc are all there, but i'm all outta RS24. If i can find out what reciever/drier/seals i need, i'd like to do a retrofit to R134a, but if not, i'll get more RS24 and oil in the system.

But yeah, this time of year - you NEED heat. It's bloody freezing here.

Yea I know, its cold here so its gotta be like our jan/febs there right now, and we have mild winters compared to you all.