yellow or white mark??????

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
On my aristo 2jzgte the crank pulley has two lines one yellow and the other one white. Now I know how to line up the cam pulleys but want to make sure I'm using the right line on the crank pulley. I know it's a rookie question but I looked every where. I watched a video that was a vvti and his cams had two marks to go along with his two on the crank pulley. I down loaded a pdf file and it only refers to one line on the crank pulley. Those with aristos let me know.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
All jz have both marks on the crank and cams. Iirc either will line up the same. But from memory it's the white one or what ever one comes first.

Can also just pull a plug and make sure it's on tdc no1.

Also I know when on tdc the cams won't move when the belt comes off.

And I think the tdc marks on the cam gears are lines and the second ones are dots. Maybe.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
And I only remember one mark on my crank. But I have all timing stuff so I could easily get pictures

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It prolly wouldn't start. If the cam marks line up and the crank mark lines up before you take the belt off mark it with a paint pen. Take belt off and Install new belt making sure paint pen marks are lined up. Turn crank shaft 720* and verify marks and put back together.

Also pretty sure there's 2 marks on the cam gears. There is on my 1j and on 2jzge. Second one is just a little dot. You want the one with the lines.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Possibly tps as well. Idl contact could be screwy.

If timing was off a tooth it will most likely either not run or run like shit and stall.

Easy to check if the timing is set. Pull no1 spark plug set to tdc. Verify cam marks are matching on the backing plate.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Here are some pics. I had it right. The lines line up with the marks on the plate, and the white mark on the crank pulley is at 0. Here are pics of the lines on the cam gears with the yellow line at 0. Next pics are of the cam gears with the white line on the crank pulley at 0
imagejpeg_2.jpg
imagejpeg_2_2.jpg