XXR rims

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
wornoutsupra;1650166 said:
nice they do look good in that flat black and i am getting rid of the rear ones in my avatar pic because they are just huge thats why I am look for a 17x9 for the rear to fit it a little better super secret how do you love those megan tracks i love mine but they just wont go low enough:3d_frown: for me lol also how much does your 521 wiegh? Thanks my wife is pretty cool she keeps me motivated to keep this thing around and is always researching parts for me when I dont have time I belive right now she is in the middle of doing some engine research for me since i dont have the time lol

remember. its about offset and size not just size.
i love love love my megans. they ride super stiff or super soft. although i have them stiff all the time. i was able to get lower by removing one of the collers in the rear. my front can slam till the lip touches the ground. i also have a way of making the rears lower but still need to do so more research. i dont have just the rim alone to weigh it. maybe next time i change tires i can do it

wornoutsupra

i gots a poopra
Jan 23, 2010
canton,ohio
let me know what you find on going lower cause I want this thing to be stupid low lol and the xxr 006 models that I was going to get was a 17x9 in the rear and 17x8 in the front i forgot what the offset is on both but i do know the lip on them is 1.75" front and 2.5" rear lol and yeah my megans are very nice i hav emy all the way stiff also plus it doesnt hurt i got them for a steal lol

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Enraged;1650202 said:
honestly, it isn't the design/look copies that really bother me, it is the huge number of wheels that simply are not engineered. there are several brands that directly copy brand name wheels, down to the casting of VIA and other certification, even though they don't HAVE the certification. this can be dangerous

How do you figure that they are dangerous or not engineered?
As long as they are ont falling apart than there shouldn't be an issue..

Personally the budget comes into play ~$2000+ for a set of used Volks? Or ~$600 for NEW rims with tires..
I could go out and buy $2000 rims, but that doesn't really leave you with much at the end of the day.

BTW Ed, I could look at your car allll day long! Please feel free to post more pics :)

Sam

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
87M-GTE;1650346 said:
How do you figure that they are dangerous or not engineered?

majority of the failures that i have seen are from companies that copy the design completely (the look), but don't copy the materials. for example, a volk wheel would likely be engineered and tested for a specific process, such as forging. now another company, lets call them atoR, comes along and copies the design, but uses a simpler and cheaper casting method. now the wheels look the same, have the same casting marks, colors, etc, but one wheel is an inferior and dangerous product. im not saying XXR does this, i don't know what their processes are, but as a consumer you have to be aware of what your buying, as a failure on something like a wheel can have deadly results. imagine your wheel has a hairline crack from a casting fault, and it breaks while you are racing at 150mph...

and there are lots of sources for used wheels, i have seen lots of 16 and 17 inch used brand name wheels for under $800. the more popular designs in larger sizes and widths obviously cost more, supply and demand.

as i said before, it is up to you what you spend your money on, whether its wheels, exhaust, etc

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
87M-GTE;1650346 said:
Ed, I could look at your car allll day long! Please feel free to post more pics :)

Sam

just for you

p1650450_1.jpg

wornoutsupra

i gots a poopra
Jan 23, 2010
canton,ohio
most of my money goes to getting my engine to run decent and trying to get it to rev past 3500 rpms in first lol and super secret whats the stats on your wheels again?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Poodles;1650179 said:
Oh look, the "fake" wheel debate...

I know, right!? I tried to find some unbiased, 3rd party comparisons (maybe even from the government, DOT), but as luck has it, I could only find manufacturer claims/info from their sites (and other's "opinions"). My interweb search skillz may be failing/weakening.

Does anyone have a link to such a site or database which would have safety/legal/engineering specs for each manufacturer? Is there any real (verifiable) data out there to support either claim?

FWIW, I have only seen 1 wheel failure and it was because the wheel was customized/widened (not by the manufacturer).

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
i have xxr 502's like the other black one in that last pic, while i like the look of them, the "seperated" lip design makes the lip extremely suseptible to damage.
in other words, if you drop a screwdriver handle first onto the lip, it will dent....

not sure how many of their other wheels are designed the same way, easy way to tell is just flick the lip, if it sounds hollow you've got you're answer.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Value vs price ....... There isnt any real data to support that XXR wheels are not made well........ its more like people telling us what they heard and others just dont like the word "cheaper" ..... There is a difference between value and price. I love talking to ford/linc/jaguar, toyota/lexus or nissan/infiniti owners, because most of them dont know they are driving the same car with a different symbol on it, a higher price tag and a few more features.

“Most knock offs” don’t get all the kinks worked out until the 2 or 3 wave parts. I have an authentic HKS and I could not tell the difference between the knock off I used for years. What makes a bov worth $300-500? Beside the name of its company it is a valve that opens depending on VAC, what exactly are you paying that kind $$ for? The only real value is the name, the parts might cost actually cost less than $10 bucks and I guess labor is $100, and profit is $190? Dont get we wrong I am all for making money, but I am not for giving my money way.

Value vs price

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have the Sportmax 502s in silver. That lip is just a thin metal cover for dressing (and is not replaceable, I asked)... mine are scratched and small dents here and there. But this is just the cosmetic design of this particular wheel/model... Nothing "really" tells me that this wheel will perform better/worse than it's non-fake couterparts. That's the data I'm interested in, instead of all the conjecture.

I pay for my mods/accessories, according to it's value (to me). My wheels are accessories which I like to replace often, thus have no interest to invest the kid's college $$ or sell the wife's MKIV to get what I want.

To me it's the Return on investment (ROI) principle, or Value vs price.... I got what I wanted at a VERY reasonable price. If someone thinks paying more means getting more (wheel-wise), I'd like to see the data supporting it regarding this wheel debate. Maybe I'd consider fact over opinion...?

At the very least, the factual data may allow us to know which companies/manufacturers to definitely avoid.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Enraged;1650445 said:
majority of the failures that i have seen are from companies that copy the design completely (the look), but don't copy the materials. for example, a volk wheel would likely be engineered and tested for a specific process, such as forging. now another company, lets call them atoR, comes along and copies the design, but uses a simpler and cheaper casting method. now the wheels look the same, have the same casting marks, colors, etc, but one wheel is an inferior and dangerous product. im not saying XXR does this, i don't know what their processes are, but as a consumer you have to be aware of what your buying, as a failure on something like a wheel can have deadly results. imagine your wheel has a hairline crack from a casting fault, and it breaks while you are racing at 150mph...

and there are lots of sources for used wheels, i have seen lots of 16 and 17 inch used brand name wheels for under $800. the more popular designs in larger sizes and widths obviously cost more, supply and demand.

as i said before, it is up to you what you spend your money on, whether its wheels, exhaust, etc

LOL, knew Rota would come into this. Guess what? They make OEM wheels as well. Rota wheels are bought by retards with hondas or "drift" cars and they smack a curb and they break. That's FAR outside what a normal wheels is designed for. Want a wheel that can take it? Buy a rally wheel. They're ugly, don't have a small number of thin spokes, and aren't made for low profile tires.

Also, comparing them to knockoff seats is really really stupid. I could make knockoff seats in my garage, you're not making knockoff wheels without a factory.

The only wheel I've ever seen break from normal use was a CNC'd Boyd wheel that costed more than Work wheels...

wornoutsupra

i gots a poopra
Jan 23, 2010
canton,ohio
I am like satan i like to change wheels alot cause I get tired of lookin at the same rim over and over so thats why i am interested in XXr models because they are decent priced and from what I have seen and from having talked to friends that have them and hearing what some of the guys say on here they dont really sound that bad of a company

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
i feel you wornout... i alrdy got tired of looking at my mk4 TT wheels at times and i was thinking of gonig for a set of those xxr rims, they look nice and are at a fair price and im also in a budge lol. i dont race with it, its my daily for now.

wornoutsupra

i gots a poopra
Jan 23, 2010
canton,ohio
yeah I have a spare set for driting that i dont care about these would be my hey look at me rims lol and yeah I am on a budget to so thats why they cought my intrest lol

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Poodles;1650608 said:
LOL, knew Rota would come into this. Guess what? They make OEM wheels as well. Rota wheels are bought by retards with hondas or "drift" cars and they smack a curb and they break. That's FAR outside what a normal wheels is designed for. Want a wheel that can take it? Buy a rally wheel. They're ugly, don't have a small number of thin spokes, and aren't made for low profile tires.

Also, comparing them to knockoff seats is really really stupid. I could make knockoff seats in my garage, you're not making knockoff wheels without a factory.

The only wheel I've ever seen break from normal use was a CNC'd Boyd wheel that costed more than Work wheels...

Hmm, this topic is getting pretty interesting. How about Tenzo? They are roughly the same price range as XXRs. How are they in terms of the quality, strength, and weight?

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
attachment.php

Point being...forged > cast. All I'm saying is make sure the process is up to snuff. Forged are expensive, but worth it. They won't do that ^^ due to abnormal stresses such as lots of torque, drifting and such. I'll have to hunt for the picture of the Rotas that my friend torqued so hard that the mounting pad rotated about 30 degrees. They *look* awesome, but even sitting on those wheels makes the spokes bend now.

Someone should chime in about vehicle dynamics, specifically the rolling kind. I'm out of my league here as to how to explain what makes a rim strong or weak.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Bleakvoid;1650672 said:
attachment.php

Point being...forged > cast. All I'm saying is make sure the process is up to snuff. Forged are expensive, but worth it. They won't do that ^^ due to abnormal stresses such as lots of torque, drifting and such. I'll have to hunt for the picture of the Rotas that my friend torqued so hard that the mounting pad rotated about 30 degrees. They *look* awesome, but even sitting on those wheels makes the spokes bend now.

Someone should chime in about vehicle dynamics, specifically the rolling kind. I'm out of my league here as to how to explain what makes a rim strong or weak.

Alright, might be time to put my Enkei J10s up for sale on craigslist... lol

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
wornoutsupra;1650723 said:
Hey now I have enkeis on my DD and I have never had any trouble with them, they are actually pretty nice lol

Torque;1650725 said:
Isn't Enkei a big time oem manufacturer? The HX rims on my civic is Enkei, so is the stock wheel on my girls camry.

Enkei probably makes OEM wheels

^^^That picture was probably some drifter/idiots that hit a wall, pothole or curb..
Notice the wheel covered in dirt and scratches?

Wheels dont just fall apart like that. Forged > Cast, but still if you hit it hard enough, it will break.

Thanks for the pic Ed! Looking great!

Sam