WTF are these? I just made 16 of them.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
This thread spun off of an AIM convo. Kurt said what is up? and I replied I just made these things, take a guess why.
Asked him if I should entertain the crew, and we agreed we should.

I have been busy and have taken longer than I expected to reply.
I did not think this thread would still be at the top of the list and so bumped! lol

MassSupra89 said:
I'm more interesting in how you cut the cd's so straight. they always snap into little shards and whatnot.
I used a Dremel tool with a small cut-off tip. You don't have to cut all the way through, just mostly, then snap. Sort of like cutting glass, I guess. :)
Loki said:
I think you need to get out more Tony, and I agree with Joel. They must be HG scrapers.
Thank you! Now I have it in writing/print.
I will show this post of yours to my keepers. They keep me locked up in the attic far too much! And only let me go outside once a month.
No, they are not headgasket scrapers. Do you really think that duct tape would allow them to scrap that well?
DreamerTheresa said:
masturbatory device?
No....no! Damn, what kind of S&M are you into!?@ Yikes! lol

LuvMySilverSupra said:
easy

it's the topic of the worst thread ever made.
Um, you can feel free to check my posts and then check your posts, and then see if you are qualified to bash my posts. :)
I also did say, "Yeah, the thread will get better, so don't write it off yet."
There are many threads that don't interest me, so I just leave them alone.
If this is not to your liking, find a thread that is and then stay out of this one.
I don't expect every thread to enlighten/entertain me.
dcrusupra87 said:
They are almost symmetrical the way you layed them out...
Eh, I am just a neat freak of sorts. That is just how I am sometimes.
shaeff said:
using them to airbrush flames?

-shaeff
Pretty close. Airbrush paint will be applied to them. Also auto paint will be applied to them as well.

I will use them for step 7 of my 31 step process of fixing a job I did.
So basically, they are to be paint chips. I am really afraid of not matching up the color blue of my bike. It is a water based paint and has the characteristics of a candy paint in that it gets darker and changes color the more you apply it. Many said it is not even sprayable with a paint gun.

Step 7: Samples/Paint Chips
Inspect and match up to panels for needed info in determining a plan to match the paint.
Make more samples with matching previous paint chips to see if I can match them.
Match up to panels to determine what my options/tasks will be needed for matching.

I always do a project plan when I do paint jobs. It helps me get an estimate of how much work I have left before completion, and it also helps me stay focused because the project can change—and usually, unforeseeable things do come about while doing things that one may never have done before. (Every job I have ever done always required at least one different skill that I have yet to program in my hands – as you would expect from custom work.)
And here is the build up plan with pic's to come shortly:

1) Remove decals
2) Remove glue
3) Clean the parts thoroughly
4) Apply filler to any imperfections
5) Sand the filler
6) Repeat steps 4 & 5 until the body work is perfect
7) Samples
Inspect and match up to panels for needed info in determining a plan to match the paint.
Make more samples with matching previous paint chips to see if I can match them.
Match up to panels to determine what my options/tasks will be needed for matching.
8) Sand the entire parts w/280/320
9) Prime
10) Dust coat
11) Sand w/400
12) Paint white & clear coat
13) Touch up or clean any possible problem area or dust particles
14) Sand w/500
15) Mask for red
16) Spray red & inter-coat clear
17) Remove masking
18) Clean paint edges
19) Sand w/600
20) Lay out the lines for the blue
21) Mask for blue
22) Spray blue & inter-coat clear
24) Remove masking
25) Clean paint edges
26) Sand w/600
27) Clear All
28) Color sand w/600 to knock down the paint edges
29) Clear All
30) Sand w/2000
31) Polish

Some background on why I have to fix it:

Some background information (in case you care or are as curious a person as I would be):
This one job I will have to do is going to be almost as much of a challenge as the original paintjob that was performed by me. It will take a few different skills to perform this project than were required to paint it originally such as matching up existing colors and what is involved with that.
I am making this thread and releasing it onto a couple of different forums since some of my internet friends and acquaintances have never even been on the same forums.

In case you happen to wonder why I have to fix this paintjob in the first place:
I was riding down this road in the city at a legal speed and this truck ahead of me slammed his brakes suddenly for no reason. I hit the front brake, but did not have enough time to stop. I don’t think that people should be able to slam their brakes on if they want to look at a map while in an intersection, nor should people be able to stop suddenly on the highway; but being that I was behind him, the law basically states that I am $hi+ out of luck. I will admit that after racing the mountain roads for years at the edge of my skills, I now find riding down roads behind traffic or even at the speed limit to be extremely boring, and I find myself sometimes losing concentration. I am not trying to come off as cocky but just stating that when you are used to doing something at X speed mostly (what I primarily used my bike for [mountain roads]), riding at 1/3 X is about as mentally stimulating as walking one inch slow steps down a straight long empty hallway…or using a dial up connection after being used to broadband.
Regardless, that driver would not have slammed his brakes like that if I were driving an 18 wheeler. Bikers don’t get respect while on the road, where many drivers think, “F him – if he can’t stop in time, it won’t hurt me!”

So that is what happened, some of my credentials in custom painting, and my rant/complaints…On with the project.

EDIT: I typed this up in a hurry and have realized that I repeated myself. Some of this was written quite some time ago, and some was added to it to make this post.
Repeated statements and excessive cockiness have been removed. heh

Last edited:
B

Boostaddctn

TONY! said:
This thread spun off of an AIM convo....

<SNIP>

So on with the build up thread......

Wow, such a fun thread turned hella boring... aight peace :chicken:

Last edited by a moderator:

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
nice project tony, and good thinking for the paint chips. Good luck with the final product im sure it will turn out great... you think things through very well

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
definitely gonna have to post pics of the bike. and i love the ergonomic ninja stars. tired of killing people and getting carpal tunnel? not any more!

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
i'm no expert on painting, but wont the shade of the paint sample be affected by the color of the CD or if the CD is partly clear? like how on high end custom paint jobs they put white primer with yellow paint because it would make the yellow seem brighter, as opposed to grey primer of black primer with yellow paint? or are you gonna prime the $hit outta you CD's? would seem to be important when you where trying to match colors.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
supra90turbo, swaq, shaeff, D34DC311, xarewhyayen, & clip,
Thanks for the comments! I appreciate it. :)

souprat,
That is a good question.

On some paints, different colored bases/substrates will definitely affect the shade the paint ends up being.

Other things that can also affect the color are:

Clearcoating (that usually gives the color a cream or yellowish tint)
Amount of paint applied (some get darker the more you put them on)
Exposure to the sun/UV rays (some paints fade more than others)
Paint not shaken enough (especially with metalics)
Paint not dry (dry paint and wet paint with some colors are different)

I will be painting these discs then clearing only one side.
I will match the clear side to my work, and if that works out, I will aim to match the paint to the uncleared side while I spray.
I got that notion from the HOK tech sheets.

Here is another reading on paint matching (but won't apply to my situation):
http://www.airbrushtechnique.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7151
(see post 2)

Also, I don't need to prime the samples, just spraying their base of white is enough. Just to mention, I compared all these whites and they are all identical--some pro painters that I have met were not even able to do that....so many incompetent people out there!

Were:
p245458_1.jpg

Now:
p245458_2.jpg

Yeah, they aren't blue yet.

Bert,
heheh You got me there--boring indeed. I know you meant that to bust my b@llz, but that is also true.
Part of the reason why I am on this thread is to make this boring job more interesting.

But I can make it more interesting for you though, aight.
So to you and to LuvMySilverSupra I say, aight peace! with a collage:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fun is back in this thread! .... No?

Last edited:

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
In my collage, aight peace finds its way into the hearts of everyone in the universe!

If only we had more AIGHT PEACE!

LuvMySilverSupra

Bay Area Supras
Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area, CA
i dunnoe. i think my comment still stands correct. painting your bike? sounds like the wrong forums to me

and you don't have to get so butt hurt, im just kidding. cry baby :)