wreck, price check please

driftin_supra

May 7, 2009
tacoma wa
my car got side ways in the rain, for the record i wasnt drifting or trying to, S*** happens. but i think i broke my cv half shaft and my rotar my breaks was dangling not a good day.

so im not the first one to do this nor will i be the last now im just wondering if anyone knows how much this is gonna set me back ? anyone have a good estimate im guessing at least a grand.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

update.

my dad and my neighbor and i took off all of the broken rear end. and it doesnt look to bad but man the bolts on the rear end are so f*** tight we litteraly had to use a jack's piping on the end of a ratchet to get enough leverage to loosen the bolts. any ways thanks all for your help and here are some more pictures.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
yea, subframes usual eat shit quick when you find a curb or whatever like that. Just start gathering parts. If sub frame iscrap it's easy to put another one up

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Upper/lower control arms - done
Strut - done
Subframe - likely done
Axial - done
Wheel - done
Rotor - done
Wheel hub - likely done

Just an FYI - my daughter had a similar run in with a curb in my Cressida. I had to replace the entire front suspension, including the subframe that holds up the motor. Every part was tweaked, even though it didn't look that way before I took it apart. Just finished the work this morning.

driftin_supra

May 7, 2009
tacoma wa
how bad is a damaged subframe ? i only hit the one side so im hoping that thats all it did to the car. does anyone know a trusted vendor for these parts ? or anywhere i can order then. thank you for your posts and advice.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I had to get a subframe for the Cressida from a junkyard dealer here:
http://www.everdrive.com/Default.aspx

No longer available at the dealer...if it was, it cost $650 just for the subframe. EverDrive sent me a subframe, both lower control arms, both thrust arms, sway bar with both support frames. Cost $280 + shipping. That saved me a huge chunk of change.

The dealer parts I had to buy cost a total of $900 (dealer cost + 10% - I know the guy)...big stuff was both struts with wheel hub stud, both spring top supports, and both top frame mounts for the strut assembly. Replaced all the rubber bushings while I was at it. Two wheels + tires cost me another $300. Of course while I was there I discovered both sets of brake line were shot, both brake rotors were at min, and had a bad caliper.

I hate to tell you, but it adds up fast. Every piece on both sides was tweaked even though the passenger side took most the impact. Can't use a bent part on the suspension, no matter how slight...that is if you ever want to align the tires again.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Ack, bummer. I don't think you'll be finding a vendor for those parts...just find a good parts car and swap everything over. I'd definitely replace the parts Mr. jdub already listed, then check the rest. I'm not sure if that would affect the diff or not, but check the side gear shafts etc. Everything probably got a good whack. Good time to beef up your rear subframe! gl.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
For the Supra rear, you can also add a toe bar, camber bar, and traction arm too ;)
(I bet they are bent along with the bolts)

Hitting a curb at speed is bad...it gets very expensive, very fast.

driftin_supra

May 7, 2009
tacoma wa
damn, im just hopeing to get the car driving some time soon just around town or something. its looking to be about 700 dollars for it to resemble anything like that.

7m2ner

Boosted MA70
Jan 26, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Sorry to hear that happened man, I hydroplaned into a curb in the rain a bit over a year ago as well (not drifting), and I know how you feel. I ended up trying to fix it by replacing the only thing that looked bent which was the left rear control arm, but the wheel still sat a bit crooked. I ended up finding a whole subframe for 70 bucks at a local junkyard that had opened up. If you need some parts pm me, and il send you some pics, most parts look to be fine, subframe was just tweeked a bit, that control arm I replaced is your gain my loss I bought it brand new from toyota, and it obviously never got any use. It has just been sitting outside for about half a year. Just let me know, thanks Ricardo

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
drifting supra

sorry chief, Shit does not just happen. Stupidity causes shit to happen. And I have driven my supra in worse condition than most here and never lost control of the car. EVER.

SupraCorwin;1319920 said:
Supra < Washington weather

no.

Supra > South Dakota blizzards without one issue to include never getting stuck in the snow, never stranded, and definetly NEVER EVER "ditched".

I am almost positive that WA winters are nothing like SD or MN for that matter.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
X2, the car doesnt come out sideways on its own.

i feel you pain tho, i have a parts car i can pick some stuff off for you, axle, hub, control arms, etc. not sure what condition the ball joints/bushings are in, but if you're intrested PM me and we can work sumthin out.

driftin_supra

May 7, 2009
tacoma wa
what years are interchangeable, with the supra becuase they had the change in 89 and thats the year of my car, also are some parts form the Cressida interchange able becuase partstrain doesnt have a rear sindle for the supra but for the Cressida ? and thanks to all for your help and for the record i wasnt hot rodding or trying to drift but i will admit i was in a hurry, and i was driving agressive.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
i believe the electrical was the only real differences between the years, suspension and drivetrain parts are interchangeable from 86.5 up till 92