Wrapping the stock exhaust manifold in the 7mgte, who has done it?

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I'm in the process of overhauling the engine, and I want to do some heat-control. I have a brand new ct26 57-trim turbo ceramic coated. I have a set of stock heat shields for the exhaust manifold that are also ceramic coated. I am considering wrapping the cast exhaust manifold. I don't plan to go crazy on the power with this engine (300 hp), really looking more for efficiency and reliability. I guess most owners replace the stock exhaust mani, so I can't find much info on here about wrapping or ceramic coating the stock one. Who has done it? How did it work out? Do you have pictures? I also see there are "thermal barriers" and bags out there, but not sure if any of that is do-able on the cast exhaust.

thanks!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I Ceramic/TurboX coated my stock one, Wrapping wasn't so successful on the LSx I built recently but that was due to the HUGE surface area of pipes in the Bay.
42.jpg

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I talked to both the garage that is doing the engine work and the body shop that did the work on my supra (and also does a lot of muscle car restorations), and both said that ceramic coating the exhaust was a waste of time. Obviously they've just seen more poor jobs than good. But I have no way of knowing that the coating I have done will actually last.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I've never liked exhaust wrap because it seems to accelerate deterioration of various manifolds (-from what I've seen).. my understanding is that the wrap holds heat, and that's not exactly fantastic seeing as how manifolds get rod hot already. also, there's the fact that the wrap can hold moisture, specifically when it rains.

The same has been said of ceramic coating in reference to holding heat, but I have seen the opposite with ceramic; good results in other words. the coating also looks great and provides a barrier from the elements.