wow.. i have more coolant than i started with.. i think something is wrong...

Puppy Eater

from the rooftop...
Mar 31, 2005
in your dreams....
alright.. before you say im dumb... i searched and searched..and nothing on this.. i have a GE and just put in a new hg. i noticed before i had a bhg i started leaking coolant. i thought it was just part of the natural bhg process.. (heh) well.. strangely.. i dont have any coolant in my oil. actually the only way i kno there is a coolant leak is because i smell it in the air (exhaust, under the hood etc.) and the coolant level drops or it rises out of nowhere. i didnt install the hg myself and i still got the leak. just wondering if anyone has any ideas.. or if youd like to say im dumb..

lewis87t

Dec 24, 2005
maryland
Puppy Eater said:
alright.. before you say im dumb... i searched and searched..and nothing on this.. i have a GE and just put in a new hg. i noticed before i had a bhg i started leaking coolant. i thought it was just part of the natural bhg process.. (heh) well.. strangely.. i dont have any coolant in my oil. actually the only way i kno there is a coolant leak is because i smell it in the air (exhaust, under the hood etc.) and the coolant level drops or it rises out of nowhere. i didnt install the hg myself and i still got the leak. just wondering if anyone has any ideas.. or if youd like to say im dumb..

I've had my share of coolant problems too... my best advice to start is to
buy a new toyota radiator cap from the dealer, and burp your system.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
well does it fill back up when your system turns off? or when does this happen. if its empty at one point and full at the next, id check ur engine thermostat. It may be reading wrong and not putting enough coolant at the beginning start up and then causing this rush of full-non full. And yeah id agree, get a new rad cap and burp ur system.

Puppy Eater

from the rooftop...
Mar 31, 2005
in your dreams....
hmm.. yeah i think ill try that (burpin it) but its odd cause sometimes when i lose it its gone for good. yeah it does come back after im done driving except the motor is still running when i check it.. i dunno ill burp it and tell ya guys wat happens

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Puppy Eater said:
hmm.. yeah i think ill try that (burpin it) but its odd cause sometimes when i lose it its gone for good. yeah it does come back after im done driving except the motor is still running when i check it.. i dunno ill burp it and tell ya guys wat happens

make sure that when you burp it that you have the front end jacked up in the air or you are on a very steep driveway and also have the heater on high.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
If you are still smelling the coolant and don't see it on the ground you might want to check the coolant hose right after the ISC bypass, mine was leaking there before and it didn't hit the ground because it was falling in the curve of the intake manifold.