Would these rims be race or rice?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Okay guys, just looking for some opinions on this.

I was driving down the road the other day and blew a sidewall (thank God I wasn't doing a stupid maneuver at the time). I am now driving on the spare and faced with two options. I can either buy four new 225/50 r16 tires and keep my stock white sawtooths, or I could spend the money on a set of rims and tires instead. For reference, I have a white 89 w/white package, tinted all lights black except fogs, heads, and blinker/reverse slits on the rear. Muffler (tips left chrome), tow hooks, and gas tank all black.

Now I want something that looks clean, professional, and adult. I do not want to be that kid with the junkish sports car driving around on ricer rims that probably gets pulled over a lot. I'm going for the '35 year old with a Sunday driver' look.

I found a set of 5x114.3 17" rims with tires and used for less than a month. I'm not sure how much replacement 225/50 r16 tires will run (feel free to tell me what they ran you), but I'm guessing a cheap set of four will be at least $500 all set and done. Now considering I can get rims with used tires for that, let me know what you think. Let me know what you think. Be honest.

Btw they are Konig Motor Rismo's *edit. konigs out. evo 8 enkei's now.* and I don't know how much experience any of you have with this brand, but if they are the kind of rims that will snap when i dump the clutch or get wheel hop sliding sideways please let me know. Thanks! As usual looking forward to lots of good input.

*EDIT* FORGET THE KONIGS...COMMENT ON EVO 8 ENKEI NOW. THANKS!

Okay, so I found 5 Enkei rims with Michelin Pilot tires. 90% tread. 17x8 rims 38 offset. Stock Evo 8 wheels. 225/45-17. What do you guys think? Would they fit with no rubbing and no suspension adjustment? Note:I would probably Matte black them for a better look.

NEW LINK ----->http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...53zT4bhOdOHqwG7_LjsAw&ved=0CFkQ9QEwAg&dur=155

Last edited:

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
hey...it runs;1854183 said:
b5c88bb2fe.jpg

Well, what are the widths and offsets?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Whats the offset and width on them? It's important.
As for the style, im not a huge fan of 10-spoke wheels. I prefer 5 spoke, and mesh types for the most part.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
I'm still waiting for the guy to get back to me on that. I'll let you know as soon as I can find out. If they aren't 225's I won't mess with them as going skinnier would be a waste and I drive in snow so going wider wouldn't be smart. what offset would you recommend?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Okay, so the tires are 225/45-17. So i'll just assume that they're 17x8 rims. He doesn't know what the offset is so I'm going to do some researching online. Worst case is, I found some metal spacers online. Bad idea?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
hey...it runs;1854210 said:
LOL^^^^^ but for 600 bucks for new rims and 225/45-17 tires I'm debating. By the way, the offset is 40. Will these fit right?

The "flushness" of a wheel is defined by offset AND width (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101). But wether your wheels are 7, 7.5, or 8 inch wide, a 40mm offset is weak on either of those widths and you might as well keep the sawblades.

Different offsets on supras: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?56843-Wheel-Fitment-amp-Question-Thread

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
If wider is not an option I would stick with the saw blades. If you put a narrow wheel on there with a odd offset they will look out of place like a lot of the hondas driving around with aftermarket wheels. IMO i like staggered 5 spoke or mesh style wheels on MKIII's.

Also, do not use wheel spacers, those are bad news.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They almost looks like Feathers with red lines on them. Konig Feathers are pretty damn light as well (they're well liked in the miata world for it)

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Poodles;1854335 said:
Also, you're wrong. Spacers are just fine.
What kind of spacers are you referring to? the thin ones you get from a parts store or the think ones that bolt to the hub then the wheel? I would never use the ones that you have to extend the studs, I've seen a lot of studs sheer off because of those.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
I have installed a lot of konig wheels when i worked at discount. They all look like crap on anything nice. They have some good looking designs but they still all look like k-mart specials when installed. They do however look good on things like... Hyundai sonatas. or <insert cheap economy car the comes with hub caps>

Poodles;1854335 said:
Also, you're wrong. Spacers are just fine.

Discount tire and alot of big chain stores will not touch a car or truck with spacers on them, so unless you enjoy taking all your tires and wheels off at you house and bringing them to a shop, or you feel comfortable with the shop on the corner in someones back yard I would not do spacers. Good high quality spacers are not to bad. But most people willing to pay for high quality stuff would just buy the right wheel. I have known people who have run spacers for years with no problems, but that does not mean it is good practice. Buy a wheel that is designed to fit on your car.
BTW.....rims are on bicycles. The correct term is wheels.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

djshoester

Jun 25, 2012
San Diego
I would not go with those rims, way to much going on and look very week. Definitely a ricer look I feel like.

I personally prefer a 5 spoke matte colored rim. It is more simple and clean =)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Crypton2006;1854339 said:
I have installed a lot of konig wheels when i worked at discount. They all look like crap on anything nice. They have some good looking designs but they still all look like k-mart specials when installed. They do however look good on things like... Hyundai sonatas. or <insert cheap economy car the comes with hub caps>

Discount tire and alot of big chain stores will not touch a car or truck with spacers on them, so unless you enjoy taking all your tires and wheels off at you house and bringing them to a shop, or you feel comfortable with the shop on the corner in someones back yard I would not do spacers. Good high quality spacers are not to bad. But most people willing to pay for high quality stuff would just buy the right wheel. I have known people who have run spacers for years with no problems, but that does not mean it is good practice. Buy a wheel that is designed to fit on your car.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, I remove my own wheels when I have my tires changed. I've had huge issues with discount tire (stripping locking lug nuts, broken studs, warped rotors from morons with rattleguns).

Yes, I mean the proper bolt on spacers as well. They're just fine (seen them used on race cars specificly to have a wheel that will clear larger brake calipers).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Crypton2006;1854339 said:
Justin, you should know by now... car wheels have a "rim" too. That is the part that is inside of the tire, that isn't the spokes. However, it's not very commonly discussed on one piece wheels. ;)

To the OP, I'd probably pass on these wheels, unless you're going for a summer/winter thing, where you swap out wheels/tires when the season calls for it.