Would a code 22 make my Gen 3 shut down?

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
So I've been trying as hard as i can not to bug you guys with stupid questions and use the TSRM as much as possible, but i need help and bad this time! So anyway I was on my way home from work last friday and as usual traffic was hell. I was on the highway traveling at around 60 m.p.h. when some idiot pulled out in front of me so i switched lanes and goosed it, got the supra up to around 80 mph and let off the gas and thats when all hell broke loose. Upon deceleration i lost all power and blue smoke started pouring out my exhaust! The car died, so i pulled off the highway and let it sit for 30 minutes with my fingers crossed hoping for the best and then i tried starting it again, nothing but more blue smoke pouring out the exhaust. The vehicle in question is a 1989 N/A 5-speed that is totally stock, has 237,000 miles, and the engine was fully rebuilt at 215,000 miles along with the alternator. At first i thought it was the timing belt and the front cover is ridiculously easy to remove so i checked it out, no problems, idler pulley is new with no play in the bearing, and timing belt is still new looking with tension in all the right places, after that i was like now i feel like an idiot, so i checked the codes, the only code i got was a code 22, which i believe is the water temp sending unit, after that i did a compression check and all the cylinders were at 155 lbs.,no coolant in the oil and my coolant wasn't low, so I have 2 questions would a code 22 stop the car from running? and what the F am i doing wrong??!!! this car is my daily driver and my baby she can't sit there broken down it's just not right! PLEASE any help would be appreciated

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Threw my car all back together today, replaced nothing but cleaned the connections for the water temp sensor. hit the starter and the stupid car started perfectly no smoke, running fine, zero problems, no codes!! so why would it just randomly lose power and shutdown on the freeway like it did?? btw taking the car on a test drive after this post to try to replicate the problem so when i drive to work 2marow it dosen't pull this shit again. any help would be very very appreciated thanks :)

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
any ideas on why it would just die going down the freeway? i know for sure it wasn't out of gas. btw thanks for your input

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

I think i might have a bad battery, i feel extremely stupid right now, but yeah thanks for getting the twin cam gears in my head turnin

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
No idea. Could be anything from loss of fuel, spark, bad crank angle sensor, wiring, you name it. A bad battery shouldn't cause it unless you had a ton of load on the electrical system but it's not good to have for lots of other reasons.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Definitely wouldn't cause tons of blue smoke, either. A bad ISCV could cause it to die, bad valve stem seals could cause the blue smoke. Might have a few problems going on here.

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
jetjock;1762155 said:
No idea. Could be anything from loss of fuel, spark, bad crank angle sensor, wiring, you name it. A bad battery shouldn't cause it unless you had a ton of load on the electrical system but it's not good to have for lots of other reasons.

i don't see it having a huge load on the electrical system, stereo wasn't even on, did test the ign system via instructions from TSRM, havent cracked a fuel line yet or tested pump from diag box, just started the car and it seems like the problem just went away. I'm stumped and this car is seriously making me rethink my mechanical knowledge.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Quin;1762157 said:
Definitely wouldn't cause tons of blue smoke, either. A bad ISCV could cause it to die, bad valve stem seals could cause the blue smoke. Might have a few problems going on here.

would it still run normal with a bad ISCV? the engine was fully rebuilt 21,000 miles ago do you think the valve stem seals would go bad in that amount of time? and fwiw the car has never smoked ever, just last friday when it died, even started it up today and no smoke

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
well i took it on a test drive and white smoke started pouring out the exhaust,and the it was loping at idle running like crap,still no codes but now the radiator light is on, i did my compression check wrong and guess what I have a blown head gasket on a 21,000 mile rebuild so now my car won't be on the road for another 2 months!!!! I'm hotter than a hundred hippies on harvest day right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

and just encase my head is warped anyone know where to find a good one?