Won't rev past 2 grand

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
So I found a supra that I'm interested in buying the owner says that he replaced the plugs but didn't gap the plugs correctly and it won't rev past 2 grand. Before I commit to buying I wanna know what else could cause this that I havnt thought of I'm Hoping that this is or something else that is simple that is wrong. To my knowledge the car is completely stock so I was thinking that if the cat is plugged that it wouldn't rev up either so if you have any ideas please let me know.

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
Ask if the AFM was upgraded. Sometimes the L-AFM fails upon installation because of the sensor either being dirty or just needing to be replaced. I had the same problem when I had first purchased my Supra and happened to be the L-AFM w/cone upgrade, having a dirty sensor.

hidenplanvew

Feb 4, 2012
Colorado
ya gap wouldnt do that, maybe high in the rpm under boost it could blow out spark but not at 2k rpm.. timming, fuel, tps, I have also seen where engine temp sensor can cause an issue like this.

A spark should be able to jump a gap of almost 1/2 an inch with a good coil

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
Thanks for the responses I have been talking to him most of the day so far picking him for information about the car when i asked if he had done any upgrades the only things he mentioned was the tranny being rebuilt eboc or what ever springs new muffler and he wasnt sure if any of it further up stream was replaced a greedy turbo timer and a knn cone airfilter but i had to pick at him to get all of that info out of him. so im thinking that it is the plugs because he said that its drive able plenty of power till around 2k

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Greyscorpion;1811353 said:
Thanks for the responses I have been talking to him most of the day so far picking him for information about the car when i asked if he had done any upgrades the only things he mentioned was the tranny being rebuilt eboc or what ever springs new muffler and he wasnt sure if any of it further up stream was replaced a greedy turbo timer and a knn cone airfilter but i had to pick at him to get all of that info out of him. so im thinking that it is the plugs because he said that its drive able plenty of power till around 2k

LOL" plenty of power till 2k"

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
AJ'S 88NA;1811373 said:
LOL" plenty of power till 2k"

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.
"hella lotta power in that 1,000rpm powerband"...
I also doubt that it's either the plugs OR the cat. You'd definately be able to get past 2,000rpm with either issue.
Maybe you could describe the quality of the idle, and are you able to get past 2,000 on part throttle? is there any smoke?

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
When i go look at it tomorrow morning i will know more I just wanted to get some ideas from you guys and from what i gather check the codes look for signs of a bhg make sure that the wires are hooked up correctly and also consult the tsrm. once again thanks for the responses and if you all have any other ideas let me know.

SRZMK3

Greyscorpion;1811659 said:
When i go look at it tomorrow morning i will know more I just wanted to get some ideas from you guys and from what i gather check the codes look for signs of a bhg make sure that the wires are hooked up correctly and also consult the tsrm. once again thanks for the responses and if you all have any other ideas let me know.

check the plug to the tps if the power wire and the variable power connections are touching or arcing then it will cause this exact issue.

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
SRZMK3;1811664 said:
check the plug to the tps if the power wire and the variable power connections are touching or arcing then it will cause this exact issue.

That would be awesome if that is the only issue with it.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
When my Tps was not installed correctly, it would idle fine and rev to 2000-2500 and then fall on its face. Buy a compression check gauge, and check for compression on all cylinders. Make sure there is no chocolate milk, and check the reservoir for rusty looking coolant. Also look along the radiator for rust stains. Some.ways of spotting a Bhg.

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
Ok update I went to go look at it and it turned out that the only things that were wrong with it was when he did the tune up he didnt tighten up all the intake hoses and the accordion hose was loose and the afm was also dirty. after i tightened everything up and cleaned the afm with some afm cleaner it started working perfect besides the fuel being old.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Congrats dude.
I think we all figured it'd be something reasonably simple to fix.
Er... did you say you used afm cleaner?