Won't Idle After Rebuild

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
I just finished rebuilding my 7m. I have everything in and back together for the most part. I have made sure the CPS is aligned multiple times. and the timing marks all match up, and have done this with the #1 piston at TDC. I have made sure to the best I can that the vacuum lines are all plugged tightly and new. What am I forgetting? It sounds like its not firing on all cylinders, and barely puts at 400 rpm with no input from me, if i give it throttle it seems to run hesitate then run up to 2k rpm.

I pulled the plugs immediately after this video, and they were all black except for #5 which still looked silver and new, and wasn't wet at all. Does that mean that injector isnt firing?

[video=youtube_share;M35mXNqkAmY]http://youtu.be/M35mXNqkAmY[/video]

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Forgot to mention the PS pump has not been filled so thats the whining noise you hear. On this start I jumpered the fuelpump to see if it made any difference.

[video=youtube_share;1OBYGw982Mk]http://youtu.be/1OBYGw982Mk[/video]

Last edited:

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
I guess you have no code.

Is the Iscv plugged in, is the checkvalve inserted the right way in the intake manifold. Have you tested it?
Just throwing bone here

edit: cam timing good?

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
No engine Codes. Ill try to get a video from the inside. When its at REALLY low RPM, like cant keep up the CEL will flash and go out, and when I scan the code it says ENG- OK. I have Super Monitor. But I have also checked using the diag box.

ISCV has been disassembled, cleaned, and made sure operational. I can tell because it will rev up on its own to 2k if you just blip the throttle.

I will have to check on the check valve. I suppose it may be the wrong way? The check valve is there to seal the manifold under positive pressure from the turbo.

Cam Timing should be good. I followed the TSRM to the T when the engine was out of the car, and everything matches up including having the #1 piston at TDC with the Cam marks aligned, with engine on the compression stroke - confirmed through oil filler.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
+1 on the compression test. Are you sure you stabbed the cps the right way? Can you take a pic at tdc of the cps? Do you have the wires in the right firing order?

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
I went and bought a compression tester, spark tester, and stethoscope today to check for spark, compression, and the injectors firing. I didnt get a chance to test anything because I was too busy. I did make sure that spark plug wires were all going to the correct spark plugs and were all plugged in. Tomorrow I will test the other things.

There is the CPS at TDC piston 1

20120815_203151.jpg

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
I havent gotten to time it yet because the idle is too poor. I'm going to take the injectors off and either get replacements or find a local place that can test/clean them for me. I'm positive they aren't all firing

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
So I got a compression tester from harbor freight, and im not sure if its because its a bad tester or if its my compression is that bad, but all cylinders were showing 120psi

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Damn didnt think about that...I cranked it for 10 compression strokes, and no I did not have the throttle open at all

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
jetjock;1869499 said:
Pull the EFI fuse, hold the throttle wide open, try again...

Thankfully that was the only part I had right. Will try again and report back tomorrow

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Retested the compression. Made no difference

I :

Pulled all plugs
turned it over for 10 compression strokes
pulled efi fuse
WOT

displayed compression was no different at all. For some reason I feel like the car will not run at all on 120 psi compression.