Wont go into gear, video inside

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Well for a little while now my supra has been making a horrible racket. I knew it was driveline related but didn't have time to tear into it yet. Anyway now it finally wont go into gear at all and when i rev it i can feel a vibration. Here is a video of the sound it makes.
R154, DM stage 2 clutch(put in 2 years ago)
Any idea on what it could be?
[video=youtube;XCSiaGflZdE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCSiaGflZdE&feature=g-crec-u[/video]

Additional info: On the 4th of july i was driving the car on the highway and came to a stoplight and i noticed i couldn't shift into gear. Pulled to the side of the road, inspected everything i could on the side of the road, didn't find anything. Got back in the car and it drove away just fine and ran fine until now.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Broken clutch release hub? Have you at least taken off the inspection covers and have a look see at what's going on?

Or maybe a broken clutch release fork. I'm betting it's one or the other. Good luck.

89supraowner

Oct 12, 2009
Fort Myers
Sounds cammed. lol But try and check what Suprapowaz said first. If those look fine then I'm not sure what it could be. I know on my daily it wouldn't go into gear unless I forced it to. Come to find out it was my master clutch cylinder or slave what have ya, replaced that and everything has worked fine since then. Sorry I'm not much help.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
Sounds clutch related for sure. If you can shut the car off and put it into gear and then start it, its definitely clutch related. Beware, the car might lurch forward, because the clutch is not disengaging, so be prepared to stall it by applying the brakes. Basically your syncros are keeping you from forcing it into gear so do not continue to try to press very hard when the engine is running.

If you dont know how to drive a car with a failing clutch, while being nice to the syncros, DON'T you can only hurt your transmission. This will be ABOVE and beyond any damage you do to (or has already been done to) the clutch.

Sounds like if its vibrating the throw out bearing or some other portion of the clutch has come apart.

Is that rattling in the video coming from the exhaust, or the clutch? In the video it sounds like an exhaust leak, but it could also be a mechanical clacking that the video does not replicate well.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I have to say, you have one of the smoothest sounding 7Ms I have ever heard.. By that I mean like no valve tick at all..
When my clutch release hub failed, I just had a sort of metallic rattling, not the clanking like you have. Also, the clutch wouldn't disengage, so obviously no shifting into gear.. Once I got rolling I was fine.. Clutchless shifting ftw ;)

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Yeah i've had a lot on my plate lately so digging into it right now is just not an option. I'm guessing throw out bearing died but i guess i'll see when i pull everything apart. As for the exhaust leak.. thats what i thought the noise was at first because i know i have a head to mani leak. I can think driftmotion for doing a great job on the engine 70k ago, thats why its so quiet;)
Also i've been chasing a miss down for a LONG time now, that's why it sounds cammed.
I suppose it could be a combination of slave cyl dying and an exhaust leak but the chances of both happening within one trip of eachother are pretty slim.
Thanks for your thoughts everyone, i hope to get into it after i get the 91 fixed and on the road.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
11hw876.jpg

20f6d5k.jpg

Turns out the flywheel bolts came loose like i thought. One actually sheared right off flush so i really don't know how i'm going to get that out (or if i even will)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
That's going to be fun trying to drill that hardened bolt while still in the trans tunnel. See what happens when you take short cuts? You get your ass kicked in the end. =/

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
This isn't the first case of ARP flywheel bolts backing out that I have seen on this forum...not to say the OP isn't at fault but I've never heard of stock bolts backing out while its becoming quite common to see ARP bolts back out.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Yeah I'm going to try the old pick and hammer thing. I'm guessing if I can get it spinning it won't be hard to get out. It obviously isn't in there tight still being broken off like that. I'm hoping that thread lock and a proper torque will make this never happen again. Can't stand pulling these trans in the cold on a garage floor. Had a bit too much of it lately.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
CyFi6;1921986 said:
This isn't the first case of ARP flywheel bolts backing out that I have seen on this forum...not to say the OP isn't at fault but I've never heard of stock bolts backing out while its becoming quite common to see ARP bolts back out.

The OP said they weren't torqued properly or any thread lock being used so that didn't help. I wouldn't blame the ARP hardware for backing out, it's more likely the installer error. The OEM bolts could have a tighter thread engage so they're less prone to backing out or use a groove ring under the head of the bolt.