Wiring a Light fixture - please help

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Yes, I'm that dumb.

I am trying to replace the overhead 4" light in my carport, because the ballast is gone. I am trying to replace it with a similar fixture that plugs into an outlet. My question is, "Is this possible?" The existing fixture had a black and a white, and had a bare copper ground wire. The one with the plug also has a green wire, and I assume that is for the switch on the side of the unit. If I cut off the plug, and don't use the green wire, will the light work, but the switch now be non-functional? I have nothing to attach it to.

This light hangs directly over where I park the Supra. It hasn't worked correctly since I bought the house. Now that I'm unemployed, I have time to address it, but am trying to fix it this way instead of spending money I don't have on a new ballast for the old one.

Thanks for any help you can be

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Why not swap your plugged light for one with no plug?

When I was shopping Lowes and home depot for my garage lighting, the non plug ones were bigger and more economical anyways...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
In the US, the color standards for 110 volt residential wiring are:

White Wire: Neutral/Common
Black Wire: Hot Wire
Green Wire: Ground
Bare Copper Wire: Ground

(There are also blue, red and yellow, but they are not common and are usually used for hot wires or switched runs - if you run into these you're possibly dealing with a complex circuit (like a 3 or 4 way switch setup) and you should call an electrician before you hurt yourself. :) )

That is what you should find, but verify all of this with a voltmeter, never trust the previous guy, it's possible he didn't know what he was doing either... :D

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If they're of the same size, you could also just swap the ballasts and leave the fixture (ballasts are wear items just like the bulbs)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supracentral;1770954 said:
That is what you should find, but verify all of this with a voltmeter, never trust the previous guy, it's possible he didn't know what he was doing either... :D
My parents bought a house from a local guy who's last name was Taylor. If I didn't know better, I could swear he was related to "Tim" off of Home Improvement. The guy was a complete tard when it came to housing projects. Our faucets were flipped (hot/cold handles), the original garage was burned down and converted into a master bedroom due to leaving flammable chemicals near a heater, the secondary garage (the one where the guy worked on boats) was set on fire in a similar fashion, many of the lights and wiring throughout the house were wired incorrectly... the list goes on, but it's a wonder this guy is even still alive. He and I share enough knowledge about electricity to hurt ourselves, which is why I leave this sort of thing to my dad. I'll inspect and try to figure things out on my own, but I ALWAYS consult with him or an electrician friend before messing with anything.

ForcedTorque;1771001 said:
Socket installed, and fixture securely mounted and working. Thanks guys!
Good to hear, congrats!