windows vista help please=)

A

ArthurRitus

ok suposidly, everyones telling me that games run better on vista.
well i have a comp with both XP and vista installed. and i play CS:Source on the XP OS, highest settings (on my GeForce 8600 GTXXX), and still get about 80-110 fps average. (running on only one of my two monitors)
same settings transported to vista, and im getting 25fps..
anyone know a way i can change this?

Ive tried searching and couldnt find anything related.
(I always get scarrreeddd that someones going to go nazi on me with a "USE YOUR SEARCHH OR GOOGLE!!!!")

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
bboyRITUS said:
well i have a comp with both XP and vista installed. and i play CS:Source on the XP OS, highest settings (on my GeForce 8600 GTXXX), and still get about 80-110 fps average. (running on only one of my two monitors)

(I always get scarrreeddd that someones going to go nazi on me with a "USE YOUR SEARCHH OR GOOGLE!!!!")

games fail on vista...

vista fails on vista...

easy fix:

1. format hard drive
2. instal XP
3. ????
4. Profit!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it's vertical sync, and it won't do crap...

Vista is the single WORST downgrade you can install on your computer...

XP is alright, but a good install of Windows Server 2003 will outperform the same box on XP any day...

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I don't run vista yet but i heard somewhere that directx 10 will only run on vista? Any truth to this or have they just not worked on directx 10 for XP yet?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
true.... at least until DX10 is hacked to work on other versions...

keep in mind there are very few games slated for DX10 only...

not to mention the next server version of windows that is supposed to be what 2003 is to XP... basicly the same OS, but without the bullshit.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ok, now I have to weigh in with a bit more reality again.

Vista does not suck. It's not awesome, and it has driver issues still, nearly a year after it was code complete. Even so, it is not terrible. I'm playing Team Fortress 2 right now, on Vista, in 1920x1200 mode, at over 60fps.

And it's by no means the single worst downgrade you can put on your system, that title is held by Norton Systemworks, hands down.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
bboyRITUS said:

Check your settings, I'm running CS:S and TF2 both @ ~60-70fps and I have a weaker system than you. Make sure that you have the most updated drivers available. I also have HDR turned off and am running wide screen in windowed mode.

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
bboyRITUS said:

http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
foreverpsycotic said:
Will it run steam? I have not been able to make WINE work with steam.
really? because I'm pretty sure wine will run steam if not i know there are some paid for programs that will run it

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
The graphical advantages have not been huge with games that run both DX9 and DX10, but the performance hit you take IS huge when comparing DX9/XP to DX10/Vista. When it comes to games that run in both DX9 and 10, it's best to stay with XP and DX9. If you absolutely MUST play a DX10 only game, maybe it's best that you either build another rig for newer games, wait on better/faster/cheaper everything to run Vista faster, or rethink your priorities in life.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yep...

keep in mind that Vista also reports back to quite a few government agencies... can't seem to find the article, but it was at the kernel level...

Vista is NOT more secure, does NOT control more RAM, DOES take up tons more RAM, and can't be slimmed down to acceptable levels.

You're being fed dogshit, and the only reason bigtime nerds will run it is for DX10, which is M$'s plan all along... Can't wait for their new server OS...

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
From what I have been reading, I heard that MS was eventually going towards a subscription model OS.
I can barely stomach paying $120ish for an OEM version of XP Pro or '05 MCE, and those two haven't been a letdown. I can't believe that people actually spent good money on monstrosities like Windows ME. I have a feeling that MS is going to have a hard time getting people to pay annually for services. Really, they are going to have to do more than just announce groundbreaking technologies - they are going to have to build equivalent programs and utilities into the OS that people actually MIGHT pay for to get updates.
These types of programs and updates include:
Spyware killer
Antivirus
Ghost/Backup
Firewall/Security

Basically, anything Norton has, equal in quality or better - and updated more often. Even with this type of service built in, it would take an amazing amount of performance, bang-for-buck, and smoothness [no problems with performance on even a mild built system] for me to consider.

If "the man" has a prying eye in Vista, what makes you think he also won't have more than just an eye on future OS models from MS?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the server OS's tend to be clean from this kind of clutter and are built on a more stable kernel for obvious reasons...

remember that most viruses, spyware, ect only do damage because they can run or shadow themselves as easily hacked processes... My install doesn't even run those processes, so even if they got on my system, they can't do anything...

not to mention that I usually don't sign in as admin...

If I can find the article about the packets being sent off from the Vista kernel, I'll post it here, but it was THE deal breaker for me to "upgrade"