windows vista help please=)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you can run the Mac OS on a PC...

I'm a former Mac guy, but PC's are cheaper, faster, and there are a zillion more apps (ESPECIALLY GAMES) for them..

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
Poodles said:

I'm a former Mac guy, but PC's are cheaper, faster, and there are a zillion more apps (ESPECIALLY GAMES) for them..

Well, right now i only own a Dell laptop.
im saying the next desktop i buy will be a apple.

i can play games on my xbox 360.
ive never really been a pc gamer type. But i do like a good game of starcraft every once in a while :naughty:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
well, then you're fine as starcraft is for Mac too...

the new Mac's can dual boot into windows as well, but they're still majorly overpriced...

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
Poodles said:

the new Mac's can dual boot into windows as well, but they're still majorly overpriced...
yeah i was looking into these. But for the price they are asking i might as well just get two desk tops and put them to the same monitor lol.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Macs aren't necessarily more expensive for what you get: http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/features/macproprice/index.php

There was another comparison that I can't find now that used the price if you built the PC yourself. It found that the costs were about the same. Apples do not carry the same price premium that they used to.

Now granted Apple doesn't offer much in the sub-$1000 range, but that doesn't mean that they are overpriced for what you are getting. My next desktop will be a Mac Pro.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Poodles said:
True, but its not necessarily a boot up and install and you cannot use an AMD chip set. You need to get a hacked version that allows you to install it on a PC.
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page will be your god.

This all being said, I have not successfully got a working OSx opperating system on a PC. I got lazy and bought a mac.

Poodles said:

Their displays are worth the price jump. I <3 Apple displays

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
apple displays aren't made by them... and they also work fine for a PC...

keep in mind in that article it did NOT include the display price for the Mac, but did for the PC, among quite a few other things...

Even with equal hardware, the PC is faster in most benchmarks I've seen.

I'll update this post after reading the article a bit more though...

EDIT: after reading the article, and finding the follow up to it here: http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/opinion/dellmacprofollowup/index.php , it still doesn't take into consideration that you can BUILD a PC far FAR cheaper than buying a custom built PC from a vendor...

Last edited:

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Go to this guys site and learn to turn off all those windows services you'll never use that rob your systems resources. I've been using his xp settings for years with no anti-virus since its the windows services that are default enabled that allow easy hacker access to your computer. When you disable all these resources your games may run better.

http://www.blackviper.com/

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Poodles I'd love to see the article about vista and who it reports to. If you have a chance could you dig that one up please. I've already begun taking peoples brand new systems back to XP after a good debranding. Also have you seen an XP cd is up 20.00, there must be a reason.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
suprageezer said:
I've already begun taking peoples brand new systems back to XP after a good debranding. Also have you seen an XP cd is up 20.00, there must be a reason.

People not adept with computers are changed. I have swapped so many office 07 installs for office 03 as well. God, I hate to see what will happen when we switch all of our school faculty to vista, we still have someone running windows 2000.

A

ArthurRitus

I love office 07. I think most people dont like it because it, by default, saves as .docx files as opposed to .doc files. Dumbasses don't know they can change it.

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
bboyRITUS said:
I love office 07. I think most people dont like it because it, by default, saves as .docx files as opposed to .doc files. Dumbasses don't know they can change it.
i cant figure out how to shade percentages in excel 07 still damnit.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I wonder how they will change XP and/or Vista in order to make people, even those who protest now, switch to Vista.
Does anyone have any insight as to how they would do just that? Win98, especially SE, was a huge improvement over Win95. ME Sucked, but Win2K was really quite nice. It had problems with drivers not being signed, but they still worked well.
XP Pro was a natural upgrade to Win2k/98, and MCE2005 was a nice version of XP Pro with added media functions for HTPCs and the like..
Those were all compelling reasons to upgrade. XP is far from perfect for the average user, BUT I never really have problems. I have no reason to upgrade.
Directx10 was a selling point to many, but for now there are few improvements over DX9 [not worth the performance hit].

What is it going to be?
New processors/chipsets or other hardware that have too many new instructions or drivers that XP cannot handle? An eventual stop put to XP drivers for brand new hardware?
The only thing I see keeping Vista alive at the moment is that it comes with new PCs [unless you specify otherwise which more and more people are STARTING to do] and the idiots who don't know any better and think that it works as fast as they need, is pretty, and can handle the newest games.

A small prediction: New hard drives that eventually go near/over the 2TB mark? Maybe a new BIOS will be required, and XP guys will be out of luck? Not everyone needs a HD that size though, so that is a doubtful way of phasing it out..

MS has to have an ace in the hole for this one.

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
drunk_medic said:
I wonder how they will change XP and/or Vista in order to make people, even those who protest now, switch to Vista.
Does anyone have any insight as to how they would do just that? Win98, especially SE, was a huge improvement over Win95. ME Sucked, but Win2K was really quite nice. It had problems with drivers not being signed, but they still worked well.
XP Pro was a natural upgrade to Win2k/98, and MCE2005 was a nice version of XP Pro with added media functions for HTPCs and the like..
Those were all compelling reasons to upgrade. XP is far from perfect for the average user, BUT I never really have problems. I have no reason to upgrade.
Directx10 was a selling point to many, but for now there are few improvements over DX9 [not worth the performance hit].

What is it going to be?
New processors/chipsets or other hardware that have too many new instructions or drivers that XP cannot handle? An eventual stop put to XP drivers for brand new hardware?
The only thing I see keeping Vista alive at the moment is that it comes with new PCs [unless you specify otherwise which more and more people are STARTING to do] and the idiots who don't know any better and think that it works as fast as they need, is pretty, and can handle the newest games.

A small prediction: New hard drives that eventually go near/over the 2TB mark? Maybe a new BIOS will be required, and XP guys will be out of luck? Not everyone needs a HD that size though, so that is a doubtful way onephasing it out..

MS has to have an ace in the hole for this one.
i think ms has two aces in the hole on this.
Theres probably plenty of ways to force the upgrade.
Only reason i have Vista is because it came with my laptop, otherwise i would never of upgraded..