Windage tray?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
figgie;1205608 said:
If you do not know. Why guess?

The 7m never had a windage tray. Those are custom. Same with the crank scrapers.

Then, What's difference between the baffle in the pan and the windage tray. I know the tray is closer to the crank, but dosn't the baffle have the same effect?? Or is that not a oil baffle. Just wondering..

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
IJ.;1205728 said:
Windage Tray's have either louvres or screens to help suck the Oil off the spinning crank (my Group A pan has them built in)

Your the man!! Ij, then educate me: What the job of the sheet metal piece that sits horizontaly across the pan between the crank and pan,("shelf" like) As I call it the "oil baffle"?? I'm I right, the tray is mounted closer to the crank?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I repeat: Ij,, your the man,,,Thanks!

Crank Scrapers::From what I see in the picture,, doesn't create more gap at the front and back of the engine? Since it looks like the scrapers are mounted in the side of the pan.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Poodles;1205893 said:
Oil control is ALWAYS a good thing.

Depends on your budget though...

Yeah i learn that the hard way. know im paying for it with buying to rebuild my motor. If your car is going to see some crazy side to side action get an accusump

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
More properly known as a hydraulic accumulator. A device that stores fluid under pressure from a system and releases it back into the system when needed. For automotive applications they can be used in a few different ways.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
figgie;1205608 said:
If you do not know. Why guess?

The 7m never had a windage tray. Those are custom. Same with the crank scrapers.

easy man thats what i was trying to figure out. just adding to the topic.

koenigturbo,IJ.. thanks guys.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
for my road race car i added these wings
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/OIL-PAN-BULGE-ADD-ON,1763.html
a oil cooler setup
crank scrapper
i pushed the tray thats in there now against the walls of the pan so there was not much gap and put a circular ring around the bottom pick up with slits cut in it. have not have any problems yet. what would be a interesting idea would be to pick up a road race V8 pan for cheap and cut the bottom off with the baffleing and make it work, or possibly buy one of the bmw m3 baffle setup and install it into the mk3 pan.