Widest tire on "sawblades"?

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
27" OD is why they rub, must look like a roller skate.

As for sawblades, going over 225/50/16 on a 7" rim gave me a more vague, loose, feeling on the same compound. Never seen that the tiny bit of traction gained and the extra expense was worth that. You want wider tires, get wider wheels, there's plenty of room underneath the car to fit them.

TEMPEST

We're a work in Progress
Jul 29, 2006
New Orleans
www.cardomain.com
Actually I'm kind'a stoked about this. I was wanting to use the Sawblades as my Burnout/Winter wheels. To have 255 Blizzaks on them, oh shit!! and studded!! what a pair That'd make!

TEMPEST

We're a work in Progress
Jul 29, 2006
New Orleans
www.cardomain.com
projectsupra;1482098 said:
27" OD is why they rub, must look like a roller skate.

As for sawblades, going over 225/50/16 on a 7" rim gave me a more vague, loose, feeling on the same compound. Never seen that the tiny bit of traction gained and the extra expense was worth that. You want wider tires, get wider wheels, there's plenty of room underneath the car to fit them.
uh, who's got the 27 inch tires anwyay?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
p1482132_1.jpg

p1482132_2.jpg

Hard to really tell in these shots, but the '89 turbo is running 255/50/16 BFG Comp T/A ZR's and the '87 NA ran 255/50/16 BFG Comp T/A VR's for many years. It was a VERY tight pinch on the sawblades, and I wouldn't recommend it, as the rubber "fatigued" over the years and began to "dry-rot/crack" where it was under such duress on the sidewalls. (Of course, the turbo car SAT for several years in harsh weather with the rubber on un-used for that time, which didn't help...)

I think 245 is a maximum that still maintains a decent profile to the road. I believe you LOSE some contact/traction with the tighter pinch... but I sure had a BUNCH of sidewall and good gumball rollers look! DONUTS for tires!:biglaugh: I actually always liked that setup...

...then again... I remember I had 245's pinched on my '84 back in the day on the stock rims!

p1482132_3.jpg

^^^ Can't tell here, but that's some 245 rubber on my first supra. Always LOVED that black car with the lowered/aggressive stance! Rode like a go-cart... and screamed even after over 200k miles of abuse! Still ran when I sold it for $500 shortly after this photo... I think it finally seized a cam at the quarter million mile mark about a year or so later.

-crisp

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You don't want wider tires for snow tires...

Also, unless it's for the rear with drag radials, going bigger is just going to hurt handling.