Wideband says running too rich when buildling boost

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
So my 7M Supra build of the past two years is just about come to completion, and only a few small bugs remain to be worked out before it's ready to be broken in, and had some miles put on her. My current problem arises when building boost.

The boost controller is turned way down, and I’m only talking about 4-6 lbs of boost here. The engine can build up to 8 when it’s cold but less when it warms up. The turbo begins to spool; the computer dumps a ton of fuel and the engine sputters and gags. The wideband goes off the chart in the rich direction, and it is no longer drivable. The check engine light flashes for a second.

The motor starts, idles and runs beautifully otherwise.

So we’re trying to figure out what the issue could be. Do we have a vacuum leak somewhere? Is the MAF sensor bad? Bad fuel delivery? I know it could be a multitude of things, but I thought I’d seek the help of the 7M community to offer me guidance, and possibly a direction to take to get this issue resolved so we can break in the motor correctly.

Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Craig Batstone
Burlington, Vermont

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Dinner>helping someone with readily available info

I would think you're in the top ten, but never the most hated................:biglaugh:

CBatstone

Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
don't think I don't know about cygnusx1.net, that place is a godsend.

We're pulling the codes tomorrow, the car is 5 states away from me. My friend owns a shop in Blairsville, PA www.murdawgcustom.com My car has been there since it's thrust washer blew apart 2 years ago, a full align hone and balance, some chassis stiffening and a solid new paint job amongst other things.

I've got a one way ticket to Pittsburgh to pick the car up at the end of May. I've put my time in, living in pa at the shop owners house (my friend) for a month at a time to advance the progress of the car through 2006 and 2007. This is a conclusion of a lengthy, solid build. I'll have a build site up and I'll open a post once it's ready. Nobody has seen this supra yet.

Thanks for the help

CBatstone

Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
craig%20batstones%201990%207MGTE%20supra.jpg

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
CBatstone;1023512 said:

We're pulling the codes tomorrow, the car is 5 states away from me. My friend owns a shop in Blairsville, PA www.murdawgcustom.com My car has been there since it's thrust washer blew apart 2 years ago, a full align hone and balance, some chassis stiffening and a solid new paint job amongst other things.

We'll I've got a one way ticket to Pittsburgh to pick the car up at the end of May. I've put my time in, living in pa at the shop owners house (my friend) for a month at a time to advance the progress of the car through 2006 and 2007. This is a conclusion of a lengthy, solid build. I'll have a build site up and I'll open a post once it's ready. Nobody has seen this supra yet.

Thanks for the help

CB i live 30 mins from blairsville, I would like to see your car when you come in. John

CBatstone

Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
suprahooked;1023527 said:
CB i live 30 mins from blairsville, I would like to see your car when you come in. John

Hey John, I'll be down there friday, May 30th through saturday the 31st, driving home to Vermont sunday morning at 2am is the plan.

You should stop by friday afternoon or sometime on saturday. The shop phone number is on the website if you want to call first, my name is Craig and the shop owners name is John. Come check it out~

CBatstone

Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
3p141592654;1023948 said:
Sounds like a boost leak to me. Check your intake plumbing for leaks, pressurize it is you can..

Yeah it really does seem like that, we're looking into it today. We put on all new intercooler piping so its pretty likely

Thanks

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
CBatstone;1023512 said:

I've got a one way ticket to Pittsburgh to pick the car up at the end of May. I've put my time in, living in pa at the shop owners house (my friend) for a month at a time to advance the progress of the car through 2006 and 2007. This is a conclusion of a lengthy, solid build. I'll have a build site up and I'll open a post once it's ready. Nobody has seen this supra yet.

Thanks for the help

That is a good looking car.

Just curious about what type of chassis stiffening you are under taking?

Wayne

CBatstone

Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
GrimJack;1024307 said:
Yup, +1 for this. Codes will likely point this direction as well.
tnTorquing%20Down%20the%20Main%20Caps.JPG

We found the leak and will be driving it more tomorrow.

we went into it intending to build in some subframe connectors, but the lack of space under a supra quickly turned that wish into a more serious venture if we had decided to cut open the boxed unibody and weld in metal there. So we opted to keep it simple, a behind-the-seat turnbuckle style frame rail brace mounted very well, and a rear strut tower bar should help out considerably from stock, but its hard to say how much. We all know a stock supra in targa mode is awfully sloppy. I'm hoping this will help for the first round of mods.

Polyeurethane bushings everywhere up front and a diecent tokio suspension for now will be good for a little while. The car is super clean anyways, with only 110k on the clock when I bought it four years ago, i've only driven it one summer and a few months out of the next before it was torn apart.

tndustyrear.jpg

tnIMG_2267.JPG

tnstiffening.JPG

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
CBatstone;1024521 said:
tnTorquing%20Down%20the%20Main%20Caps.JPG

We found the leak and will be driving it more tomorrow.

we went into it intending to build in some subframe connectors, but the lack of space under a supra quickly turned that wish into a more serious venture if we had decided to cut open the boxed unibody and weld in metal there. So we opted to keep it simple, a behind-the-seat turnbuckle style frame rail brace mounted very well, and a rear strut tower bar should help out considerably from stock, but its hard to say how much. We all know a stock supra in targa mode is awfully sloppy. I'm hoping this will help for the first round of mods.

Polyeurethane bushings everywhere up front and a diecent tokio suspension for now will be good for a little while. The car is super clean anyways, with only 110k on the clock when I bought it four years ago, i've only driven it one summer and a few months out of the next before it was torn apart.

tndustyrear.jpg

tnIMG_2267.JPG

tnstiffening.JPG

That looks like the do-luck RXB. Thought maybe you had some new ideas on targa-flex elimination.

Wayne