Wideband install question

silvergsx623

WIPLSH & HWY KNG
Oct 16, 2005
Alabama
What is the optimum distance to install the oxygen sensor (wideband) from the turbo?
Whats the closest safe distance from the turbo?:1zhelp:

Thanks guys

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
With manual in hand, I quote

"Mount the O2 sensor in the exhaust system at least 18" downstream from the exhaust port. If you anticipate high EGT's (over 800C), run a turbocharger, run at high RPM for extended periods of time or plan on running leaded race fuel then you must mount the sensor at least 36 inches or more downstream of the exhaust port as all of these ca cause the sensor to overheat. "

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ'S 88NA;1095598 said:
Widebands can't be too close to the heat.

Throw your stock N/A manifold back on, put the wideband sensor there and get back to me. ;)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1096486 said:
Throw your stock N/A manifold back on, put the wideband sensor there and get back to me. ;)
No way, it's probably been turned into washers by now anyway :)
Didn't you fry one in the stock location?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ'S 88NA;1096500 said:
Didn't you fry one in the stock location?

Yeah, I killed one and the replacement wasn't very happy either (until it was moved). I wasn't sure why you'd say they *couldn't* be too close to the heat.

Some people have no problem with their sensor in the stock location on the GTE. Are the exhaust temps at the turbo elbow cooler than the GE's location in the manifold? (well, obviously they must be... durrrr.)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1096511 said:
Yeah, I killed one and the replacement wasn't very happy either (until it was moved). I wasn't sure why you'd say they *couldn't* be too close to the heat.

Some people have no problem with their sensor in the stock location on the GTE. Are the exhaust temps at the turbo elbow cooler than the GE's location in the manifold? (well, obviously they must be... durrrr.)
My mistake, I guess I should have said "shouldn't", didn't I say "can't" be too close to the heat?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I put mine in the rear section of the HKS cat back..

It is straight up and down pretty much, and sits in the space between the gas tank, and the rear diff housing. :)

I don't have a photo, but it was easy to remove the rear section of the exhaust, weld on the bung for the WB, and then extend the wires so the WB controller can reach the sensor...

Have to say that my PLX has stopped working, but I'm not sure if it's from my mods, or when it was wired up.. or that it sat out in the sun for almost a year, where as before it was always pretty much garaged, and I used the sun shade... PLX has suggested I rewire the connections for the power.. I've done that, but have not started up my car as there are just a few things left to complete before I see if it will work again.

I figure the sensor should never fail there. Not hot enough. But since the sensor has it's own heating element, it should be fine for readings, and to stay clean... Just a guess. I've tried a new sensor, and no joy, it's the controller that is screwed up on my PLX, or the wires... I suppose I'll find out soon.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ'S 88NA;1096610 said:
My mistake, I guess I should have said "shouldn't", didn't I say "can't" be too close to the heat?

ROFL! Indeed you did... I read it to mean the opposite. As in "there's no such thing as 'too close'"... my bad. :icon_razz

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
From what I recall when I installed mine the AEM paperwork said 18 - 36" from the turbo outlet.