Wideband bung placement!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Hey guys, I've read a couple threads in the search bar, but didn't find any pics. my motor and tranny is out right now and will be going back in next week, but I wanted to get my bung welded on so I can watch everything once I get it started.

I was looking to get it welded to the down pipe down by the tranny. I was reading my manual it says to make sure that it is mounted vertically.

I just wanted to see if you guys had any pics of yours installed on the DP.

Don't want to install it in the test pipe because I'll run open every now and then at the track.

Thanks

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
exh08.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I think it's suppose to be a minimum of eighteen inches and as far as thirty six inches away from the turbo. Ian is smarter than the average bear so I'd do like he posted.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I'm diggin' that tension clamp setup you've got going on there, Ian. :) Seems easier and faster than v-bands!

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Mine is 36 inchs away from the turbo on the downpipe, with a slight tilt upwards. You always want to put your wideband bungs/sensors (if you look at a exhaust, you want it aiming like 45degrees upwards) so water does not form on the sensor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
suprahero;1351064 said:
I think it's suppose to be a minimum of eighteen inches and as far as thirty six inches away from the turbo. Ian is smarter than the average bear so I'd do like he posted.
I fake it well ;)

shaeff;1351076 said:
I'm diggin' that tension clamp setup you've got going on there, Ian. :) Seems easier and faster than v-bands!
Thanks Chris I did it that way as it was the lowest point of that system so any other clamp would have dragged on the hump in my driveway, reused the idea for the Chev (was lazy)

Fubar231;1351077 said:
Mine is 36 inchs away from the turbo on the downpipe, with a slight tilt upwards. You always want to put your wideband bungs/sensors (if you look at a exhaust, you want it aiming like 45degrees upwards) so water does not form on the sensor.
Personally never seen evidence of mounting them at 90 making a single bit of difference in the real world.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
IJ.;1351095 said:
Something you've read or experienced?

Seriously think about it for a few minutes.

Mechanic experience. My mechanic had 2 sensors go bad within a month. It was the winter so dont know if that matters but his was 90degrees flat and they went bad, so he welded a new bung in at an angle and didnt have a problem. This was in a supercharged carbed chevy s10 though. But, non the less, it is experience.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Personally don't see it being that much of a factor and really can't see the thermal shock thing people talk about as any condensation is going to be at much the same temp as the surrounding exhaust and gases.

As for water collecting on the sensor can't see that either as the sensor is a restriction so flow past it's tip will tend to accelerate due to the venturi effect so that would pull any water off it.

Like I said never had an issue here and ran 2 sensors in that configuration for many years.

A bigger problem with the sensors is they don't take kindly to being dropped so that is always a factor in failures as who knows what's happened on it's journey from the assembly line to the car.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Yeah. Wasn't trying to argue in the first place lol was just trying to give him advice. Anyways i believe hes got enough now.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Ian, there's no more room in your noggin for more info unless you dispose of some of the other stuff that's up there.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Thanks again. I think that I'll be good, cause my R154 doesn't doesn't hang as low as your auto did so I shouldn't have any problems. I'll be taking dp to the shop today and getting it welded up.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
MA70witBoost;1352290 said:
Heres mine:
p1352312_1.jpg

p1352312_2.jpg

What turbo do you have and what DP do you have? I have a BIC dp and boss turbo.

Ok, never mind I just looked at your build thread, Nice build.

Last edited: