why wont supras hook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Actually I do, I loved the curves of that car and the way it sounded too, best sounding car I've owned, too bad it wasn't reliable, not to mention slow (damn 420A :3d_frown:).

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
ouch...open deck neon motor....talk about hondas thats pretty much one right there. I wouldnt even consider any dsm with that engine, mines a turbo fwd...dont get me argueing about how the fwd is actually better.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
riddle me this...... with eibach springs on tokico illuminas, how good will my car hook on the "normal" setting useing et streets/drags, or another compareable stout drag tire. I would put these tires on 15, or 16" wheels.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
tturnpaw said:
ouch...open deck neon motor....talk about hondas thats pretty much one right there. I wouldnt even consider any dsm with that engine, mines a turbo fwd...dont get me argueing about how the fwd is actually better.

Yeah, I hated the engine, love the car itself though. The damn thing would only go 130 MPH, not bad for a neon engine I guess.

I got the car before I knew shit about DSM, otherwise I would have bought a 1G and said "kiss my ass" to crank walk that the 2G's are plagued with ;).

hks_trinidad

Aug 25, 2006
nyc
well thanks for all the productive comments guys. first of all i was not trying to compare a supra to a honda that was just an example, im am aware that they are two different cars intended for different things .my question was really why wont a mk3supra with power hook.people just seem to have got stuck on the honda thing, my baD for bringing it up. i know these cars perform their best when they are on open road ,highways. but i dont see why they cant perform all around. they certainly are capable of it.

yotatoysupra89

What da heck is a Lurker?
Apr 29, 2007
Zebulon, NC
Well i mean i see what your getting at but it sounded like a comparison.....The main reason why supras dont launch well at the track is bc its some spoiled kid that just got an aftermarket shop to do a swap in it and slam it then decided...now is a good time to tear the crap out of my car.

There is a thread in this section about how to launch your car and how to setup weight transfer, tires, trannies....the whole nine if you will. but most people just drop em at 5000rpm and rip through the gears spinnin and hopin for the win. when you can leave a 4 or 6 foot black mark in each gear let it gain traction then open her up and holding a good line with even throttle, then youll see good times. just bc a supra can build 800+ HP dont mean it is goin to run fast ass 1/4s. Its ment to run the JGTC and win. and the closest thing after that is id hate to admit it but drift...with the torque that these cars produce stock you can hold it at 35 degree angles at 60 mph on a dry road(dont ask me how i know)

Some guys dont mean to burn and some do but its the internet.....so burns cant affect TOO much if it does just close down the window(not a burn just a tip to keep you from getting booted)

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
good man, at least you know where its at. Oh and crank walk was solved by the end of 97. My friend shane has a 99 gsx with black leather interior, its definately sick.

as for ragging on hondas, the only reason i do it is because, i STRESS the fact that they are economy cars and that will never change. The only "fast" ones are either jdm conversions, or totally built with another companies parts, therefore not making it a honda anymore (including the trans) That and 90% of the owners that come with them...they talk shit and only 1/3 of them can back it. (an estimation of course)
starscream5000 said:
Yeah, I hated the engine, love the car itself though. The damn thing would only go 130 MPH, not bad for a neon engine I guess.

I got the car before I knew shit about DSM, otherwise I would have bought a 1G and said "kiss my ass" to crank walk that the 2G's are plagued with ;).

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
What i dont understand is why grand nationals run like hell with only .8 liter more engine and somewhat more aftermarket support. i dont think theres a single person out there that owns one with some sort of aftermarket part thats running slower then a 12.9.

Its roughly the same weight car, with a 6 cylinder turbo, rear wheel drive, with less RPM to play with, yet they are fast as hell. Whats the problem with our cars that it takes so much more horsepower/effort to get the car to run the same?

For example This turbo ( http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/it...RESTF-AD4DD068F39C}~ic~628GTB6131~eq~~Tp~.htm ) Is rated at a low 11 high 10 second 1/4 pass on a grand national. from the name it seems like a 61MM turbo, i havent even herd of someone in the low 12's with a 61mm turbo, whats wrong with that?? only people ive herd of in the 11's are 67mm and up.

I just want to kno what the secret is with low revving small turbo 3.8's running like hell in the 1/4.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
nosechunks said:
What i dont understand is why grand nationals run like hell with only .8 liter more engine and somewhat more aftermarket support. i dont think theres a single person out there that owns one with some sort of aftermarket part thats running slower then a 12.9.

Its roughly the same weight car, with a 6 cylinder turbo, rear wheel drive, with less RPM to play with, yet they are fast as hell. Whats the problem with our cars that it takes so much more horsepower/effort to get the car to run the same?

For example This turbo ( http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/it...RESTF-AD4DD068F39C}~ic~628GTB6131~eq~~Tp~.htm ) Is rated at a low 11 high 10 second 1/4 pass on a grand national. from the name it seems like a 61MM turbo, i havent even herd of someone in the low 12's with a 61mm turbo, whats wrong with that?? only people ive herd of in the 11's are 67mm and up.

I just want to kno what the secret is with low revving small turbo 3.8's running like hell in the 1/4.

I went 10.50s with a 61mm turbo and weighed in at 3550lbs.

Its all about the converter/auto tranny setup as to why theyre so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.