why wont supras hook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
nottooslow said:
try getting to 300 hp and have those same tires "hook up".

if the tires arent hooking you have a problem. get some sticker tires, get your suspention dialed in, or try slipping the clutch instead of dropping it. my goal is to get my supra in the 12s with either a 7m-ge or a 2jz-ge and NO nitrous.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
MRSUPRA said:
"i hate to go to the track and see these turbo hondas do 10s and some even in the 9s streetable (drove to the track and then drove home)"

I would just love to see that.. The 10 second hondas I see at the track are trailer queens with big slicks on the front wheels. Most of then can't even make a clean pass with them falling off of boost between gears because of there big turbo and lack of displacement. Not to mention most of these guys are sponsered with a big budget that allows for drivetrain and suspension mods.

All the supra needs is some ET streets and a driver with enough balls to launch it.

he said .....balls... I dont know to many trying to launch a mk3 at 28lbs of boost on a 28" slick.. If you look at the guys running 10's and 9's chances are they are on a real tire!! Including the honda guys!!

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Because I haven't been back to the quarter mile track since fixing my slammed suspension with screwed up alignment. I went to the 1/8th mile track and practiced my launch. I was running past second gear, only working on dialing in suspension.

However, Gtech pro SS said the other night... 11.31 ;) I don't know if I trust it completly, but the car hooks like hell now.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
My best 60ft in my car is a 1.52 but missed a gear on the run. I have hit 1.56, 1.61 and on and on. I run MT/ET Streets 10.5 x 26 x sawblades.

My new set-up may be different and may require a bigger tire since I will be launching at 15-20 psi.

Bottom line > They "CAN" hook :D

Duane

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
upgradedsupra said:
My best 60ft in my car is a 1.52 but missed a gear on the run. I have hit 1.56, 1.61 and on and on. I run MT/ET Streets 10.5 x 26 x sawblades.

My new set-up may be different and may require a bigger tire since I will be launching at 15-20 psi.

Bottom line > They "CAN" hook :D

Duane
well said

sleeper7m

May 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
A lot of times you'll see guys with good rubber and power but they upgraded the suspension with tougher springs. The harder the suspension, the less weight transfer, and the less traction.

If you have the stock TEMS on normal I'd be willing to be you'll get a better time than in sport. ;)

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
with a honda, you sacrifice everything for a 12 sec run. For a supra, it takes a 1j on stock twins :) Well any built hondas ive seen either 1. Spin tire or 2. break axles/transmissions. Period. The fastest run ive ever seen a turbo gsr hatch was a 12. Whenever people realize hondas are economy cars and they give up building them the world will be better off. Of course, after that they jump into dsms....:nono:

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
tturnpaw said:
with a honda, you sacrifice everything for a 12 sec run. For a supra, it takes a 1j on stock twins :) Well any built hondas ive seen either 1. Spin tire or 2. break axles/transmissions. Period. The fastest run ive ever seen a turbo gsr hatch was a 12. Whenever people realize hondas are economy cars and they give up building them the world will be better off. Of course, after that they jump into dsms....:nono:

Well, I have a Honda friend that runs 10's on stock axles and little work to the car. 10.90@135MPH ;) (CRX)

Duane

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
tturnpaw said:

easy with the comments.... my friend had a 12.1 civic on street tires driven EVERYDAY. they are fast cause they way nothing. if ppl want to drive civics, let them. http://www.bullseyepower.com/news.asp?id=6 this civic is pure sex, watch the vids. also.... i happen to love dsms......

Last edited:

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
gilberjj said:
easy with the comments.... my friend had a 12.1 civic on street tires driven EVERYDAY. they are fast cause they way nothing. if ppl want to drive civics, let them. http://www.bullseyepower.com/news.asp?id=6 this civic is pure sex, watch the vids. also.... i happen to love dsms......

Easy with the comments my ass! This is a Supra site and some one that posts stupid comments comparing Supras to Civics should expect to get flamed. Even the title is stupid. There are very few cars that "hook" stock. They don't build them for that from the factory. You can get any vehicle to launch properly with the proper setup.If this was about just going fast I would have bought something easier to work up.
The problem is that there are too many people out there that want something easyfast. This is not the car for them. They may have seen a video of a 1000hp supra and figured it was easy because it may have been done on a stock bottom end. The truth is I've spent more money getting my Supra to be complete and 100% operational Than I did getting my last 98 Z28 into the 12's.
And don't think I'm hating on Civics. An 02 SI and 04 EX were the last two that I owned. Great comuter cars, but there's nothing sexy about understeer.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
i own a dsm i can say whatever i feel like. also, it depends on how you drive your cars. if i had the civic, i can almost garantee you it would be down most of the time. i like dependable power thats just how i feel.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
we all know supras can hook up. It's all in the Setup. I don't truly understand why people want a touring car to do the 1/4 mile anyways, unless you are building a drag car that can drive on the street. :)

Also why in hell would you want to compare your Supra to a Civic? Skyline = yes 300zx = yes and many others but why a Civic?

Take that Civic to a High Speed Track and see how it does, your supra will lap it for sure ;)

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
bobiseverywhere said:
we all know supras can hook up. It's all in the Setup. I don't truly understand why people want a touring car to do the 1/4 mile anyways, unless you are building a drag car that can drive on the street. :)

Also why in hell would you want to compare your Supra to a Civic? Skyline = yes 300zx = yes and many others but why a Civic?

Take that Civic to a High Speed Track and see how it does, your supra will lap it for sure ;)

exactly that is what they are made for. high speed driving, comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.