why wont supras hook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hks_trinidad

Aug 25, 2006
nyc
i live in ny and there are alot of mk3s out here , whenever i hear about these cars (mk3)winning races it is never from a dig it is always from a roll. whenever i go to e town or atco i dont see any mk3 running lower than a mid 12 second pass, they are on d/r, whats the problem? why cant these cars launch properly.....i know its has to do with driver skill also but there are a few very competent drivers and they all said that the car just wouldnt hook, i hate to go to the track and see these turbo hondas do 10s and some even in the 9s streetable (drove to the track and then drove home) while the supra cant even break 11s,dont get me wrong its amazing what some of these hondas are able to do, but why cant we do the same?

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
hks_trinidad said:
i live in ny and there are alot of mk3s out here , whenever i hear about these cars (mk3)winning races it is never from a dig it is always from a roll. whenever i go to e town or atco i dont see any mk3 running lower than a mid 12 second pass, they are on d/r, whats the problem? why cant these cars launch properly.....i know its has to do with driver skill also but there are a few very competent drivers and they all said that the car just wouldnt hook, i hate to go to the track and see these turbo hondas do 10s and some even in the 9s streetable (drove to the track and then drove home) while the supra cant even break 11s,dont get me wrong its amazing what some of these hondas are able to do, but why cant we do the same?

First off, you CAN make them fast at the drag strip, but Supras are meant to be driven on a road course anyways.

Properly equip the vehicle and teach most of these guys how to drag and they will perform. Is mostly driver error.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
because people drop their cars, dont have a good alignment and are afraid of breaking shit. ive launched my na on the street at 3000-4000 and been able to hook perfectly, with shit tires.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
hks_trinidad said:

I've never seen a "streetable" nine second honda. Driving there and driving home does not qualify it as streetable. just this week at E-town there had to be a dozen hondas, mostly bubbble backs struggling to get down to the twelves a couple made it into the elvevens. Most if not all of these had no interior, no A/C, no P/S, Basically no power anything. Just about all they were was a drivetrain and seat. And forget about being street legal. No bumpers and no emmisions equipment. Just about any domestic car in this state of prep came in on a trailer and left on a trailer.
Comparing a supras performance at the track to one of these is just stupid.
Compare these to cars of similar weight, power, and equipment or don't bother starting a conversation.
You are right about the fear of breaking though. just about any time I've seen a 500+ hp supra or cressida or lexus at the track try to drop the clutch at 4000+ rpm, It spits its gears out the back. And thats if they're lucky because thats cheap to replace. At the last meet at E-town, one of our locals twizzlered his drive shaft.

So my Supra will never run 9's. So what ? It takes a lot more skill, money patience and effort to get one of these into the 11's. But I'll do it with A/C on radio blaring and the top off with my power seat leaned back.

WylBil

I must say that is a well thought out reply! I've been live'n in Germany for the past few years. Shipped my Supra here to run a bit on the autobahn. You will be suprised just how fast your car is?! LOL!!:naughty: A car is only as good as it has been prepared. Meaning you need a good mechanic. I've run 13 flats with a leaking turbo, bad headgasket, and shit tires! This was a week after we put the car together (Hawaii Raceway Park). She will dance if you know how to hold her, but let me tell you. She is build for touring, but will do the nasty if you build it right. :naughty:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
its about car setup and driver. IRS doesnt lend itself to easy drag racing.

slammed on some h&r springs, 18" wheels and 35 series tires will not fare well at the track, even if john force was driving.

people make fun of my 4x4 ride height and muddin' tires but the bitch hooks!

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
Slow66 said:
Most supra guys are afraid to use a real tire (i.e. ET street, or full slick) for fear of breakage.
yep!!!! big tire (28" slick plus 430 gears plus antilag at 25lbs = good drag time with supra)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I've never seen a "streetable" nine second honda. Driving there and driving home does not qualify it as streetable. just this week at E-town there had to be a dozen hondas, mostly bubbble backs struggling to get down to the twelves a couple made it into the elvevens. Most if not all of these had no interior, no A/C, no P/S, Basically no power anything. Just about all they were was a drivetrain and seat. And forget about being street legal. No bumpers and no emmisions equipment. Just about any domestic car in this state of prep came in on a trailer and left on a trailer.
I haven't personally seen a Honda run faster than 11 that wasn't trailered either. And it was gutted, hacked, and sacked. Not close to streetable.

This was a few years back, and the ricers finally figured out that boost is artificial displacement, and they should be faster by now.

nottooslow

Apr 3, 2005
arlington TX
foreverpsycotic said:
because people drop their cars, dont have a good alignment and are afraid of breaking shit. ive launched my na on the street at 3000-4000 and been able to hook perfectly, with shit tires.

bullshit, you have a n/a and and an altima. try getting to 300 hp and have those same tires "hook up"

300 hp aint shit.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"i hate to go to the track and see these turbo hondas do 10s and some even in the 9s streetable (drove to the track and then drove home)"

I would just love to see that.. The 10 second hondas I see at the track are trailer queens with big slicks on the front wheels. Most of then can't even make a clean pass with them falling off of boost between gears because of there big turbo and lack of displacement. Not to mention most of these guys are sponsered with a big budget that allows for drivetrain and suspension mods.

All the supra needs is some ET streets and a driver with enough balls to launch it.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
My supra can pull a 1.7 sixty foot on 225 50 R 16's at the moment. What's the rest of you guys excuse?

When I go to the alignment shop next time, I'll get them to give me a printout of my current rear settings and share. It hooks up good :)

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
toyo4life said:
So my Supra will never run 9's. So what ? It takes a lot more skill, money patience and effort to get one of these into the 11's. But I'll do it with A/C on radio blaring and the top off with my power seat leaned back.
Sig WORTHY!!

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"My supra can pull a 1.7 sixty foot on 225 50 R 16's at the moment. What's the rest of you guys excuse?"

So how come your only running an 11.9 with such a high trap speed(of 124mph)?

Status
Not open for further replies.