Why do most of the MKIII owners not buy hood struts?

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
YakuzaKirby;1837163 said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA love it. i bought new struts while cleaning up the engine bay/rebuilding the engine... and then i just picked up one of the cf top secret style hoods from T701jz... and i can not has struts :( lol time to figure some way to go standard hood prop

if i made a for sale thread for my hood struts and put a picture of an engine bay with the stick, circled the stick in red, and put a caption saying 'performs the same function as supra-stick' do you think people would take it seriously? lol

phatbimmer;1837185 said:
Let me tell you I finally installed my CF hood from VIS racing and I left the shocks on and it was making my hood bow when closed. I decided to leave them installed and would only connect them when I was going to work on the car or have to leave the hood propped open. I'm going to see if I can find some lighter duty ones because the ones for the OEM hood are too strong for CF.
GOOGLE : NRG Carbon fiber hood struts.....yayyyyyy

phatbimmer;1837185 said:
Let me tell you I finally installed my CF hood from VIS racing and I left the shocks on and it was making my hood bow when closed. I decided to leave them installed and would only connect them when I was going to work on the car or have to leave the hood propped open. I'm going to see if I can find some lighter duty ones because the ones for the OEM hood are too strong for CF.

im gonna try to find an older set that are too blown to hold the factory hood but still have someee pressure and see if i have any luck with my cf hood- otherwise i might make a conventional hood prop- at least it aint a stick.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
casue i need a supra stick to hold all my high hp stickers, otherwise my HG will blow up from to much power :p

my reason for not using the hood struts, that hood F**KN HURTS when it falls on your head! vicegrips on the shock is much more effective for me :D

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
hvyman;1837155 said:
There usually too strong for cf hoods tho.

heres my answer :(

I usually just hope there is a slight breeze to hold my hood up.

mdr40z;1837213 said:
I happen to like my baseball bat

AKA your "conversation stick"? You know, for unexpected road side conversations

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
Just did mine after it smacked the crap out of the back of my head....$34 shipped from rock auto. All is good now.

cwd

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
spinningheadboy;1837332 said:
Just did mine after it smacked the crap out of the back of my head....$34 shipped from rock auto. All is good now.

cwd

^this, except I got hit with the corner of the hood. I don't like holes in my head plus I was tired of lugging a bat around

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
I was rolling when I read the title of this thread!! Basically I'd rather put money into performance and use a stick. Yea it's only $30 bucks but still...I already have a stick and its free. lol! yes we are cheap!

I forget who it was that made a foldable hood prop out of a golfclub. Looked good! Was it rodel? I don't remember.
I got a hood prop from a truck awhile ago and used it on the supra but bracket broke. Need to make a better bracket.

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Making fun of me?

20120313181254.jpg

lol, I am still in the process of restoring everything else... and it just hasn't been a priority for me...
The struts still work but I did it for assurance... Also I don't go to car meets to lift up my hood...

I will eventually get to it...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Other MKIII owners are always amazed when I pull the latch, open the hood just a few inches and it shoots up on its own.

As for my 89, I HAD working struts, but they were way too strong for my CF hood. I use a hood prop from the junkyard, works perfectly and looks as if it were stock.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Honestly I liked not having the struts on for when I was working under the hood. You can open it wider and get in to the back of the engine bay a heck of a lot easier. Like that time I had to replace the EGR cooler gasket.....yeah....

Not saying that they're not good to have (it's also nice to be able to check your oil without the hood resting on your shoulder), but with the amount of time I spent under there it was also nice to be able to have it wide open without having to take it off and realign it all the time.

radiod;1837466 said:
Honestly I liked not having the struts on for when I was working under the hood. You can open it wider and get in to the back of the engine bay a heck of a lot easier. Like that time I had to replace the EGR cooler gasket.....yeah....

Not saying that they're not good to have (it's also nice to be able to check your oil without the hood resting on your shoulder), but with the amount of time I spent under there it was also nice to be able to have it wide open without having to take it off and realign it all the time.

i bet if you had one of the supra sticks in my last post you could open it superrrrr far! :rofl:

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
radiod;1837466 said:

don't forget the time the wind blows back and cracks your windshield. ask me how i know

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IBoughtASupra;1837444 said:
When you get hit in the head by the hood falling, you'll stop being cheap and buy them.

I use both to be honest because of this reason. Last year a busted open my head pretty bad when the wind came by and was touch for my struts (only 6months old at the time)

So now if i plan on being under the hood for any period of time the stick is just insurance