Who's Done It ... and How

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Anybody relocated their battery to the 'trunk' and still been able to use the Targa brackets?

If so (and it's not a total Cletus job) - how'd ya do it? Got pics?

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
if you take off the rear panels, passenger right side above the wheel well has a cut out, and i was able to wiggle my optima battery into the opening so it sits sideways with the posts sticking out, it should be short enough to clear the targa clips.

eventually i'll be making a nice custom fiberglass panel for the entire rear hatch and that's how i plan to mount it.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
imo, the optimal spot to relocate the battery would be behind the passenger seat. this way you take weight off of the front end, and as an added bonus, even out the weight on the passenger side due to the exhaust hanging from the driver side.

does that make gramatical sense? i'm having grammar problems today...

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
That makes good sense. But unless you dont untalize the back seats often that doesn't seem practical

And before you ask how I use the back seats.... Brother and sister... 9(brother) and 6 (sister) =/

JCP

The Big Unit
Apr 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Instead of relocating my battery for running my IC piping.. I just ran a small battery I bought @ batteries Plus.. ran about 130.. Its about 1/3--1/2 the size of a normal battery. Runs great and is light weight :).

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
JCP said:
Instead of relocating my battery for running my IC piping.. I just ran a small battery I bought @ batteries Plus.. ran about 130.. Its about 1/3--1/2 the size of a normal battery. Runs great and is light weight :).

+1 for JCP

Being a "boat guy" I should've thought of that.

The back seat is one compromise I'm not ready to make just yet - no cage & no batteries in the floorboard for now. The 'donut holder' seemed prime, I was hoping to see a pic of someone's, since I'm sure it's been done plenty of times by now. I was thinkin' Optima too ('til a minute ago - I may come back to it) but even with a gel cell, I'd want it in a vented box ...

Anyway - keep 'em comin if there's more ideas out there!

Thanks.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
it depends on the size battery you want to run.

if you want to use an optima side post you can mount that behind the rear seat if you remove the black metal bit.

or you can remove the plastic bin in the pass side corner and trim the wood panel to squeeze it down in there.

anyway that you go, a battery box w/ a vent tube is preferred. batteries do have fumes that you wouldnt want to have inside the cabin. and with the vent tube be sure it doesnt dump ontop of the fuel tank.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
CtSupra said:
imo, the optimal spot to relocate the battery would be behind the passenger seat. this way you take weight off of the front end, and as an added bonus, even out the weight on the passenger side due to the exhaust hanging from the driver side.

does that make gramatical sense? i'm having grammar problems today...

Bahhhh. I need weight on my back tires...All the weight I can get, I'm afraid. :naughty: Good thinking, though.

Well although I cannot contribute to this thread usefully, I'll go ahead and rub it in your face.:icon_bigg
No targa top, No spare tire, NO WORRIES! :biglaugh:

Unless I get a flat. :icon_conf

Oh well. I'm hardcore.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
My optima red top seems to fit under the targa the last time I checked it. Another option is to buy two 6-volt optima motorcycle batteries and wire them in series for an ultra-flat 12V battery.
6V.JPG

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
It can be done. Summit racing battery box kits fit under the targa, and still allow enough room to keep the spare, though it sits closer to the spare than the corner to clear under the roof. Conveniently, it will fit a full size battery as well. You have to cut the plywood floor a little, but no issues. Oh, though you do need to drop the tank to bolt the hold downs to the floor.

p342657_1.jpg

p342657_2.jpg

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
tekdeus said:
My optima red top seems to fit under the targa the last time I checked it. Another option is to buy two 6-volt optima motorcycle batteries and wire them in series for an ultra-flat 12V battery.
6V.JPG

That is a GREAT idea, I just might use that one!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
dbsupra90 said:
it depends on the size battery you want to run.

if you want to use an optima side post you can mount that behind the rear seat if you remove the black metal bit.

or you can remove the plastic bin in the pass side corner and trim the wood panel to squeeze it down in there.

anyway that you go, a battery box w/ a vent tube is preferred. batteries do have fumes that you wouldnt want to have inside the cabin. and with the vent tube be sure it doesnt dump ontop of the fuel tank.

Optima's won't vent if you keep em under 15v ;)

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
bigaaron said:
:withstupi They are a gel cell battery that can be mounted on any side and are safe to have in the cabin.

right, if he uses an optima. he didnt specify which he was going to use. plus, the track here you have to run a batt box and vent tube regardless of what type of battery you run.