Who wants to help?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm sending some things to Mark (Rakassan). He's in the military and he's somewhere a long ways away from his family. I don't know where he's at, but I do have an address for him. If you'd like to send some things to him and others, please do. Things we take for granted, they would probably love to help. My wife and kids baked a bunch of cookies, and I'm sending him toothpaste, toothbrushes, dvd's, sports illustrated magazine, popcorn......just things he may not have.

I should have googled what to send him before I put together my box, because I now find out that they need socks, socks, socks, and underwear. I thought the Army would supply them with those, but apparently not.

Here is a site that tells some of the things they need. http://supportourtroopsmoas.com/what_to_send_or_to_avoid.htm
You dont' have to send much at all, but every thing you send helps and I'm sure will make them feel better.

Please dont' make this into a debate about if we should or shouldn't be over there. He is over there and we're here. If you don't want to send anything, then dont. If you do want to help, then please do. Thanks, Jay

This is the address I was given by his wife.
First line: SSG Lowe, Mark A.
2nd line: 3HBCT, TF 2-69 Bayonet Company
3rd line: FOB Kalsu
4th line: APO AP09312

Don't forget to get a customs form from the USPS. Thanks a lot.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Yeah, it only cost me $12.50 per box to send what I sent. I sent two of their big boxes and it was really easy. You just have to fill out a customs paper which takes about two minutes. You have to list what you put in the box and their address. That's it.

Hopefully some of you people will feel thankful enough to send some items over there. I think we're lucky to live where we do and it's people like Mark that help keep it as safe as it is. Again, I'm not trying to start a debate on anything. Just a thread about wanting them to feel appreciated. Thanks, Jay

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I'll be doing this soon, as I have 3 very good friends and a cousin heading over to the shit box soon.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I heard you the first time Mario.........:biglaugh:

Mark gets to come home in June for six months and then he'll be heading back somewhere else.
I've got to get his car finished by then so he can enjoy it before he leaves out.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I tried to look at that website for what to send, but on their "what to send/avoid" page all it says is the monthly average temp for kabul.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Copied and pasted from their site. Thanks for the help.

Suggested Care Package Items (not in priority order):

SNACKS: Cookies (home baked should be cushioned appropriately), Slim Jims, Beef Jerky, Pringles, Trail Mix, gum, tuna fish (preferably in flexible pouches), mixed nuts, small, single packages of Propel, Gatorade or Crystal Light. Winter Time: Hot Chocolate, Coffee supplies (filters, creamer and sugar packets), instant coffee, coffee singles such as Starbucks VIA Ready Brew, tea bags.

HYGIENE ITEMS: mouth wash, foot powder, tooth brushes, body wash, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, floss, disposable or Gillette Mach 3, Sensor or Gillette Fusion razors w/extra replacement blades, Gel Shaving Cream, baby wipes/cleansing wipes, hand and body lotions (no sun screen - have enough), lip balm, Chap Stick, eye drops, Q-Tips for cleaning ears/weapons.

OTHER NECESSITIES: Socks – white tube socks, running socks (white, quarter length similar to NIKE Dri-Fit socks), sandals, shower shoes.

LEISURE ITEMS: Books, paperbacks, recent magazines – sports & automotive with emphasis on 20-30 year old readers. Public library as well as Goodwill are good sources for high-quality, inexpensive, used, recent magazines and books, board games, card games, DVD’s, AA & AAA batteries.

UNITS WITH FEMALES: sanitary supplies, hair conditioner, soaps/lotions (non fragrant due to bugs), hair brushes, combs. Mark outside of box "For Female".

ITEMS FOR INDIGENOUS KIDS: FOR DISTRIBUTION BY TROOPS: pens, pencils, crayons small, art supplies, notebooks, books (Arabic books are a huge favorite), individually wrapped hard candy, toys (with no nation-specific symbols)

ITEMS TO AVOID: chocolate, calling cards (service not available in Afghanistan), fragrant soap, perfume,

May you enjoy filling the box as much as the Soldier/Marine who receives it will appreciate your kindness…………

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Just a bump for those that missed it. A pack of chips ahoy cookies or a used DVD or anything like that cant' be but five or six dollars shipped. I used the big boxes and it only cost me twelve fifty each.

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Usually the higher ups have the little 12 cup makers, but usually some tasty stuff to add to water helps, like gatorade powder or hawaiian punch packets, lemonade, etc. Beef jerky is always a must, but that can get pricey. Oh and little debbie cakes are delicious. I am not sure you can send some of it, but I know that's the kind of stuff that helped me. They do have some of that stuff at the little PX or BX type places but when they run out and don't get another supply in for 2 months it can be a pain.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
lewis15498;1533858 said:
Jay is there any way to check if they have a coffee brewer? I'd love to send him some preground coffee, but that would suck if they had no brewer...

Trust me when I say that any serviceman worth his salt can brew coffee whether he has an official coffemaker or not. :)

I remember when I was a kid, my mom used to send coffee cans full of home made fudge to my uncle in 'nam. He still remembers it too, and mentions it whenever she visits... and that sure says something, it's been a shitload of years since 'nam.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I have been over there 3 times now, and anything that stands a chance at melting....forget it. Unless you want one big ass chunk of whatever it was that you sent. If I were asked to recommend items to send to the guys and gals over there in Afghan Land, I would say Beef Jerky, Ramen Noodles ( since they are quick and can sometimes be cooked in the exhaust of the trucks), magazines, socks, chex snack mix ( great on convoys ) anything that is really microwavable. If it can be microwaved then they can probably toss it in the exhaust of one of our big trucks and get it cooked in a few minutes. If anyone wants to send cookies..... I HIGHLY advise putting bread in there with it. Otherwise when it gets to them they wont get cookies, they will get mini hockey pucks because of it all going stale. The last bit was for the people that want to send homemade cookies not store ones. Oh and one thing that they cannot get enough of over there for some retarded reason....plastic spoons and forks. As far as dvds go....dont waste your time or money on that one. They have the shops there that sell burned dvds for like $1 - $2 each. I came home with just around 1000 dvds after my last deployment.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
GrimJack;1534681 said:
Trust me when I say that any serviceman worth his salt can brew coffee whether he has an official coffemaker or not. :)

I remember when I was a kid, my mom used to send coffee cans full of home made fudge to my uncle in 'nam. He still remembers it too, and mentions it whenever she visits... and that sure says something, it's been a shitload of years since 'nam.

In that case I'll have to send some out! Hopefully they dont get hooked on it they will have to move to NE when they get back as there are no Honey Dews outside of NE.

91Supra313;1534705 said:
Oh and one thing that they cannot get enough of over there for some retarded reason....plastic spoons and forks. As far as dvds go....dont waste your time or money on that one. They have the shops there that sell burned dvds for like $1 - $2 each. I came home with just around 1000 dvds after my last deployment.

In that case I will order some plastic forks to throw in the box too.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
WOW! Many thanks to Jay & Lewis. Both were awesome enough to send packages that a bunch of people got to enjoy. Jay's (or Vonda's) cookies and Lewis's have had the most flavor I've experienced on almost 7 months. Very awesome.

I guess a quick update is in order sonce I don'y stop by here very often. I'm about 50 miles south of Baghdad in the 'ol triangle of death. Things are A LOT calmer here than it has been in the past, but we still have seen a good number of EID's. Fortunately, we've seen only one hostile fatalit, due to a sniper when we first moved into country. We were anticipating 5 a month for our Brigade. Those damned EID's though. Several trucks hit, but nothing but a few bells rang.

I get to go home on Mid Tour Leave in 75 days. Not so "mid", it has taken a long time to feel like it is getting close. The silver lining is that when I com back aftwards, I will have only around 2 months before I am home for good and never to return to this shit hole. Little victories, I guess.

All in all, if it were not for missing the wife and kids, it's not too bad considering how bad it can be.

Thanks again to Jay, Vonda (& their daughters too) & Lewis. They are all good people!

p1553757_1.jpg

On a raid in the early morning......
p1553757_2.jpg

Awesome day, we had two Longbow Apaches (AH-64's, one of them is the small speck above my finger) providing Close Air Support, and I got to control them. It is unbelievable that anyone can survive getting attacked by ine of these. The just dont miss much.....

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
^might be dumb question but whats that blue on your rifle...? hope you make it home safe and good luck with the rest of your deployment

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
it helps identify the platoon I'm in. There are three 'line' platoons (standard Infantry platoons), 1st platoon, 2nd platoon & 3rd platoon, in our Company, and they are nicknamed Red, White & Blue. I'm in 3rd/Blue platoon

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

A few more pics.....

My partner Barrie. He moved from South Africa (Sierra Leone) just to join the Army. Long story, but great guy
p1553760_1.jpg

The most painful day I've ever had, deployment day & saying good bye to my boys. I can't show you the pics of my wife, 10x's more painful than these pics.....
p1553760_2.jpg

p1553760_3.jpg

p1553760_4.jpg

p1553760_5.jpg

p1553760_6.jpg