Who offers carbon fiber hatches for mkiii's?

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
kamikazemkiii;1756014 said:
I think they look pretty good. Plans were to put lexan in it anyways.

yea but what i think there all getting at is with the past ppl that have owned cf hatchs fitment has been a issue just something to think about..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
CF hatch and Lexan for the glass (not everybody lives where a heated rear window is useful Kai, I used to never see temps cold enough for frost/snow), you'd drop what, about 40-50lbs? Only reason I decided against it was because of WHERE the weight was coming off the car. Off the front, take all ya like, but taking weight off the rear seems like it would make it handle worse for consequence... all about balance, no?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1986_1992_supra/exterior/trunks/carbon_creations/ Andy's Auto Sport also has one from VIS but it's more expensive, and doesn't seem to have any real advantages.

True the weight is in the rear, but it's also HIGH. Make it up with a battery relocation or something.

I've been considering a fibreglass hatch since I don't really want the carbon fibre look (It seems pretentious to me.)

Losing the weight would be a great thing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Lexan would work fine for the back window, if you could mount it. It just has to be coated to prevent UV damage (much like plastic headlights). While you could easily have the heater painted on, I doubt it would be as effective as on glass since the plasti would be a better thermal insulator.

The hatch, well, the expensive part of the hatch is the glass, making any of the lighter weight hatches pretty expensive overall. Not to mention to make the CF/fiberglass rigid enough to hold the glass, wing, and struts, it's not going to be much lighter at all.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Dan_Gyoba;1756295 said:
http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1986_1992_supra/exterior/trunks/carbon_creations/ Andy's Auto Sport also has one from VIS but it's more expensive, and doesn't seem to have any real advantages.

True the weight is in the rear, but it's also HIGH. Make it up with a battery relocation or something.

I've been considering a fibreglass hatch since I don't really want the carbon fibre look (It seems pretentious to me.)

Losing the weight would be a great thing.

I mind the CF look quite a bit as well, but you can always paint it you know

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
IJ.;1756369 said:
soons.jpg

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
te72;1756195 said:
CF hatch and Lexan for the glass (not everybody lives where a heated rear window is useful Kai, I used to never see temps cold enough for frost/snow), you'd drop what, about 40-50lbs? Only reason I decided against it was because of WHERE the weight was coming off the car. Off the front, take all ya like, but taking weight off the rear seems like it would make it handle worse for consequence... all about balance, no?

hands down best comment.. the weight is coming off the entirely wrong end of the car.

moving a 20-30lb battery (maybe they weigh more *shrug*) to the hatch doesn't make up for the 700+lb motor under the hood.

I do agree with my decision to relocate it to the hatch though.

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
Yeah, I'm with all the others that are talking about balance, I think 63% of the supras weight is up front and thats part of what makes the car understeer so bad, I ran a little test in GT5 where I put a 200kg weight in the trunk (yes... it took almost 400LBS to get the car to 51-49 at full stage 3 weight) and the car handles MUCH better, the fact is theres so much weight on the front tires that they cant move the front end of the car at speed.

I for one will focusing 100% on pulling every pound I can get off the front of my car... and I might even ADD weight to the rear. (speakers) As for carbon looking "rice" well.. You guys might be right but I've always had a soft spot for CF body parts.. (been dreaming of carbon lip, hood, targa, and hatch as long as I've had the car, and if i can I will have my roll cage made from it too :p )