Who offers carbon fiber hatches for mkiii's?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
ttsupra2503;1930330 said:
Just wondering if anyone has weighed their empty door skins or replaced the rear hatch glass with lexan, plexi, or polycarbonate yet. I am moving weight to the rear and would like to lighten the back end of the car up to compensate and possibly get a better weight distribution.

These cars are already front heavy...moving weight to the back will improve the weight distribution...you probably don't want to lighten the back any more than it already is

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I am moving a lot of weight out of the front and shifting it to the back of the car. I want to drop the weight of the car in general and I know how the car balance will work out.

I am moving the battery, the radiator, the hood is going carbon fiber. I am looking for more stuff to replace or move. I am also adding speakers, amps, roll cage and replacing seats, replacing carpet/sound deadening. I am looking at replacing the framework behind the dash. Anything I can do without sacrificing safety. Its amazing what some items weigh and how light you can make replacements if you just try.

So I guess I will ask the question again. Has anyone replaced their doors or rear hatch glass (using something substantially lighter) yet?

ps. I am looking to make the car 51/49 weight distribution while dropping 300-500 lbs overall weight. Even my rims and tires are being picked for their performance/weight.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Well I Found some replacements for the glass. I am trying to see how much this would save overall but they even offer a package that includes all windows including the front windscreen.

http://www.lexan-windows.com/

They claim that they cut the weight in half. This will satisfy me greatly lol

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
it varies by area. best is check locally and see. as lexan is essentially shatterproof, it can make it harder for EMS to remove you from car in a accident. same reason alot of the 4 point harnesses are not street legal in places. i know cause i got a no seat belt ticket for having my 4 point on.

also on a side point, looking at that site, i see that there windows don;t carry a DOT rating for N/A markets, so i doubt that using any of them would be street legal. not to burst your bubble, but thats how it goes. BC is a bitch for modded cars, i even got a VI for the 18's on my car casue the cop "couldnt find the DOT number on the tire"

terrenceLP

Mar 22, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I would say Drop your door windows, meaning No More Windows - think convertible with a broken top, you don't need driver and passenger windows if a race car is what you are after. This also lets you remove all of the electronics involved.

You can also remove the side hatch glass and replace with aluminum panels, like a mustang either with or without vents. The front and rear should stay, maybe call auto glass repair and see if just getting a newer windshield is a bit better, thinking advancements in production - who knows. The rest of your weight loss can come from Forged Wheels and Really Nice Tires, light tires are very expensive but as with the wheels, it rotating weight thus more benefits. Tires can be very heavy suckers, My rims are 19lbs without tires, and can vary as much as 40lbs with cheap tires - Boat anchors.

The last stage is to address the engine compartment, get rid of anything cast iron where possible.

Drop your heater core and associated electronics to carry less fluid.

Dump ALL EGR Smog Crap, not needed, and technically speaking is a joke of a system.

All that said, you still have one heavy bitch that went on a diet!

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
well even though it sounds like a bad idea for weight distribution, javissupra does make them, and with the OEM window it wouldn't make a terrible much of a difference.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
terrenceLP;1931860 said:
I would say Drop your door windows, meaning No More Windows - think convertible with a broken top, you don't need driver and passenger windows if a race car is what you are after. This also lets you remove all of the electronics involved.

You can also remove the side hatch glass and replace with aluminum panels, like a mustang either with or without vents. The front and rear should stay, maybe call auto glass repair and see if just getting a newer windshield is a bit better, thinking advancements in production - who knows. The rest of your weight loss can come from Forged Wheels and Really Nice Tires, light tires are very expensive but as with the wheels, it rotating weight thus more benefits. Tires can be very heavy suckers, My rims are 19lbs without tires, and can vary as much as 40lbs with cheap tires - Boat anchors.

The last stage is to address the engine compartment, get rid of anything cast iron where possible.

Drop your heater core and associated electronics to carry less fluid.

Dump ALL EGR Smog Crap, not needed, and technically speaking is a joke of a system.

All that said, you still have one heavy bitch that went on a diet!

Basically I am trying to make every HP count while buying the right items. I have been looking at my bare front end for a few days thinking about how to replace it with stronger lighter metal. I know forged is sometimes hard to beat for strength but I dont mind replacing parts every 50k if thats what it takes to loose another 100lbs.

My wheels are fairly light but I haven't weighed them with a scale yet. I know they are close to 20lbs but are only 16's right now. I was going to put some slicks on them for the track and move to an 18 for street.

Regarding the glass, if I only cared about taking it to a track then I would probably loose the glass for lexan rivet in windows. Way lighter and easy to do. Fiberglassing the rear side windows would be a lot easier as well. But its not going to be a track car, its a daily driver that might see some track that has corners. I even found a way to make an r154 with electronic shift and can add it later.

I will have to contact them to see if they do DOT approved windows and I have to replace my front glass anyways so that will be brand new. A basic roll cage will add the stiffness I need in the chassis so I am not too worried about having the targa out and replaced with CLOTH!!! woot... great idea suggested by my friend. lol

In the end, I just wanted to see if anyone had done anything other then say its not worth the money lol.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC