Who has an addiction with dumping wayy too much $$$ into their supra

Chad

Mar 10, 2008
surprise
ZoomZoomZoom;1089158 said:
Cars not back from the shop yet..HOPEFULLY next week! Last time I saw it it was under a dull grey coat of primer, cooking in the sun. I pretty much lost half of my summer driving time. I hope the wait is worth it!

Then you will see pics of the car topless, not ME! I know what I typed!!

Your car is going to look awesome!! Do you have any other plans for it?

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Between my two supras, I've maybe....and I stress maybe....dropped 2G's of my own money into my car....most of that being on my current setup...and that's just minor shit and stuff to correct the previous owner's Afro-Engineering/half-assed Mechanics....still not done, but I've got most of the stuff I need... Engine-wise, I've got everything....looks like my trans might need a rebuild soon though, and I've gotta tackle the suspension one of these days.... This car is my daily, my truck is my toy....and I've dropped a metric shit-ton of cash into that thing....seriously, I almost cried like a fat girl on Prom Night when I totaled up what I'd sunk into it....and that was 4 years ago....I've thrown a few more grand at it since then....LOL!

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Chad;1093384 said:
Your car is going to look awesome!! Do you have any other plans for it?

Oh of course. A supra is a never-ending project, isn't it? The interior is just real crappy, but I probably won't do the seats til next year. Its in desperate need of a new exhaust system, that should happen this year. Needs a new wiring harness (whose doesn't?). A good tune-up sooner than later, its really sucks on gas mileage (20 mpg hwy). Then once those things are done, more basic power upgrades.

Fix all the stuff that breaks along the way..

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
My 9-10 month build/get cra legal swap i dropped 15k into the car and another 3k on tools.................Shit adding up receipts is one thing you should NEVER do. Do I regret anything??? At times yes then I go for a drive and forget about all the money and time put into the car. And yet again like usual its still not finished, I have paint, new interior, full standalone, tuning, dyno time, rear end work, more suspension...........damn im gettin depressed time to go on a drive................:evil2:

Ronald

Oct 16, 2007
Cleveland OH
88-7MGTE;1094408 said:
For the last past i would say year, 10 grand easy!
My wife don't know it and it better stay that way.
ITS A BAD HABIT!

WHOA! Hope she's not too internet savvy; or 'checking account' savvy either for that matter.

I don't get it, how can you put $10M into a car and your spouse not notice? First she'd see all this stuff on the car, or all the parts showing up at the door, and then does she pay not attention to your finances, etc? - - Must be nice :naughty:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
It's called the nickel & dime method. You don't make any major purchases (without her knowing it). A $50 part here or there, is often overlooked or does not sound off alarms. Eventually, you have spent alot more than you even thought of, but since it was not all at once, it's seldom noticed. This is why our Supras end up being garage queens. Takes a looooong time to collect everything you want/need.

Also, give the wife a spontaneous (they love that) $200 spa day on those occassions when a manifold, wheels, or turbo is set to arrive and she will be okay (ie. not at home when delivered).

On the other hand, she knows that as soon as I am "almost done" with mine, it will be time to get started on hers (MKIV)... I'm not out of the woods yet ;-)

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
When I start thinking of how much money I've put into my mk3 I
wasn't feeling so good, ha ha ha......need a medic!!!

8.000 euros on my 7M (fixing things,laybour,oyota parts,performance parts
which I only took it to about 370 whp...:icon_mad:)

11000 euros on my 2zj (aristo motor,toyota parts,US spec parts like oil pan,
laybour,performance parts,etc.,)

5.000 euros into interior (Gauges,boost controllers,turbo timers,toyota parts
like TEMS,Super monitor,performance parts like new
tacho-speedometer-warning lights-wiring-relays,
restoration of every part that did not look like new,
toyota & custom switches,sound system...)

7.000 euros on suspension-drivetrain (Shocks,springs,strut bars,brakes,
rims,tires,flywheel,clutch kit,stainless
teflon brake&clutch lines,TEMS system)

6.000 euros into exterior (some paint job,rear under spoiler,rear diffuser,rear
lights CF cover,side skirts,front jdm lip,Xenon HID
lights,New clear lenses on headlights,corner lights,
US spec lights and trims,headlights covers,tinted
windows,toyota parts like weather strips/wipers,
....and waiting for carbon hood & rear gt wing ! )

Total : about 37.000 euros (about $ 55.000 USD spend alone on car)

Ofcaurse I have some extra $$$ to pay the transportation of the parts
and airport customs fees/dutys...:icon_evil unlike like you guys....I wish
I had my sup in the States :icon_bigg

88-7MGTE

Ronald;1094472 said:
WHOA! Hope she's not too internet savvy; or 'checking account' savvy either for that matter.

I don't get it, how can you put $10M into a car and your spouse not notice? First she'd see all this stuff on the car, or all the parts showing up at the door, and then does she pay not attention to your finances, etc? - - Must be nice :naughty:

Separate account's

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you're in denial...

admitting you have a problem is the first step :rofl:

My car and my addiction to WoW ruined my life...

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Seems like a non-ending project. But it sure puts a smile on my face when I take it out. - OH what a feeling Toyota !

Maybe one day I'll be able to say that there's nothing to do on the Supra but I really doubt it.

Never mind the thousands of dollars - the sweat and labor itself ! Nothing is easy to repair cause its so jam packed.

Keeping it in perspective to me is that someone paid $42,000+ to get it brand new so I'm off easy cause there is no way in hell I would take out a car loan like that. That's 4 yrs of payments (no money down) means that the original owner paid $900 a month.

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
If I had the money, I'd drop another $20-odd grand into my Supra. As is, I've spent a total of about $17,000 on my Supra, including purchase price.
Yes, I admit I have an addiction to buying Supra parts, no I don't need a cure for it, just more money so I can get it done faster so I can buy another one:evil2:

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Ha Ha my car is a piece of shit and I only spend what I have to to keep it on the road and reliable. I keep thinking about dropping some coin into it then my tightarse nature takes over and the wallet remains closed. I would say all in all my car stands me at somwhere between 2.5 - 3K.

MK-111

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Wigan
spend it on the supe, or spend it on the wife,
did the 2nd for 20yrs, done the 1st for 4yrs.
now gettin divorced :icon_razz
women just have no perspective

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
tekdeus;1107469 said:
Yeah, mine cost about that much too. Such a money pit this damn old car!!!

Off topic

tekdeus....

just wanted to give you props..you have a really nice supra!

what rims do you have and what size are they?

Looking to put some nice rims with a phat lip on my supra.