Who has an addiction with dumping wayy too much $$$ into their supra

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
Satan;1094491 said:
It's called the nickel & dime method. You don't make any major purchases (without her knowing it). A $50 part here or there, is often overlooked or does not sound off alarms. Eventually, you have spent alot more than you even thought of, but since it was not all at once, it's seldom noticed. This is why our Supras end up being garage queens. Takes a looooong time to collect everything you want/need.

Also, give the wife a spontaneous (they love that) $200 spa day on those occassions when a manifold, wheels, or turbo is set to arrive and she will be okay (ie. not at home when delivered).
That's the the approach I use too. Haven't spent too much on the car yet(about $1k) but she notices all the small boxes coming to the house.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
cool chuck;1107628 said:
That's the the approach I use too. Haven't spent too much on the car yet(about $1k) but she notices all the small boxes coming to the house.
Me too, it's the boxes showing up that sets off the questions. Just kind of
grab them quick and stow them in the basement. I might have to give her a
week at the spa for my next stage, looks like at least 5g going in but
realistically probably closer to 10. Ah these Supras really know how to work
you! Of course reading all of these threads everyday doesn't help, I keep
getting the "I think my baby needs that" syndrome!

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
I've spent $8.5k on my 7mgte rebuild and conversion so far... soon to be over $9.5k as I need a new turbo and some IC piping redone :(

This car is sending me broke... but itll all be worth it in the end!! :evil2:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
No signifigant other controlling the $$ so I can and do pretty well spend what I want.

It's just about at an end though and even with what I've spent it's been well worth it as there's NOTHING I could buy off the showroom floor here that can do everything my Fat Pig does for the same price.

Tae361

Jul 15, 2008
NY
I've had my car for a year and a half and have probably only dumped around 4k into it in maintenance and aftermarket upgrades (including a fresh N/A JDM block). I just spent about 600 on it for aftermarket parts and its not even running. It's only an 86.5 but i feel more like its my child lol.

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
so far I got new rims and tires for like $800. buying an amp and getting it installed. total of $400. all new speakers like $140. new trim for like $75 each. regular check up like $100 yearly. new e-brake $60. having the coolest car in highschool. priceless:naughty:

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'm all about doing it on a budget. I've got the car, all upgrades, a 5-speed swap, new wheels/tires and a paintjob for around $12K, spread out over the past 5 years. I can't think of another car with the performance and quality that I could have bought/leased for $2,500 a year.

Plus, it's a 92t with the sunroof and beautiful interior and only 103K miles, so I could still sell it for a decent amount if I had to.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Currently dumped $20,000 inc. price paid for the car w/o maintence fees.

My future plans to complete my Mk3 project yield another ~$10,000.

Then I will be done:icon_bigg.......that is until something breaks....perhaps a 2JZ next time!

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
I've owned my 88 for 19 yrs. and I'm still investing in it.
Not because I have to, but because I have to.
I have an addiction to modifying and enjoying my Supra.
I wouldn't change a thing.