white smoke, low idle, waterfall sound...kill me now

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
so, i just got my car back about 2 weeks ago, it ran fine, boosted great...then i noticed a waterfall sound, i didn't think much of it, i burped the cooling system, added coolant, still heard the sound...called up one of my MKIII friends and he said his car does that too, so i figured no big deal

fast forward to this morning, it was low 40 degree weather and my car had the hardest time starting, when it finally did, it was idling at around 350 or 400 rpm...drove to school fine, drove home fine, boosted fine, but it had that low idle all day

tonight i was getting gas and i noticed white smoke, so when i got home i checked for codes, none

i've also noticed the car backfires when i let off the gas but don't step in on the clutch and misses a lot while idling...there's also what looks like a spray of black stuff on my garage floor starting where my exhaust is

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Sounds like a whole bunch of problems, including but not limited to blown turbo, valve stems, running rich and air bubbles trapped in the heating system.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
White smoke - Turbo Seals
Black Spray - Your car is running Rich, mine ran hella rich and i had this flaky black substance in, on and around my exhaust tip. Fix your boost leak you said you had.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
A question from a dumb N/A girl.... how does white smoke = blown turbo seals? I was under the impression that oil burns BLUE and not white. White smoke is water, ATF and brake fluid. :confused:

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
Tanya;1009647 said:
A question from a dumb N/A girl.... how does white smoke = blown turbo seals? I was under the impression that oil burns BLUE and not white. White smoke is water, ATF and brake fluid. :confused:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Tanya;1009647 said:

small amounts of oil look white, the turbo seals go out but gradually

THE1JZSPECIAL

Banned
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
That black stuff on the garage floor is do to condesation which is normal , it sounds like you IAC valve is faulty theres a coolant line that runs thru it ,could be leaking , if not check compression on cylinders

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
The white smoke was my transmission fluid (fixed now) and I had a massive vacuum leak right at the recirculation valve but it was capped and runs like a champ.

THE1JZSPECIAL

Banned
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
InvisibleMonkey;1026246 said:
The white smoke was my transmission fluid (fixed now) and I had a massive vacuum leak right at the recirculation valve but it was capped and runs like a champ.

Thats right your Automatic, good stuff man

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I hope this thread isn't too old, but I'm having some of the same problems as the original poster. I have a 1991 JZA70 (new spark-plugs).

Today, for the first time ever, my car was idling at 500rpm. Usually when I start it cold for the first time of the day, it idles at around 1500rpm for a minute or two, then slowly settles down to 700-800rpm. I wasn't sure what to make of it when I started my Supra today after work, and just started out at 500rpm....I was a little nervous. It sounded slightly rough, but what idle wouldn't be at 500rpm. Also, the car was vibrating a bit during idle.

The car, however, seemed to drive normal enough, except for a massive backfire that sounded like a fireball came out of my exhaust while shifting to second gear during hard acceleration (to pass someone). Other than that, it drove like a champ like it usually does.

Anyone else have this problem before?

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
I had a few problems rolled into one. The white smoke just went away, I honestly have no idea what happened to it, waterfall sound happened because I had a coolant hose that leaked, and low idle was because of a vacuum leak.