White puffs of smoke?

SpoolinSupra

Jul 5, 2006
Wyoming Valley, PA
www.myspace.com
thick white is coolant...do the smell test...plug wires will cause a misfire and possibly black smoke...whoever did your engine messed up, maybe didnt machine the inner timing cover with the block (if its a 7M)...take it back to the builder and throw a fit, and a wrench

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Well, whenever I start my Supra, there is a puff of grey smoke for a moment. But driving around the exhaust is clean, even under heavy load. Should I be concerned about this?

I should also mention that its been doing this since I bought it 2 years ago. It drives like a dream.

Last edited:
Sam;1319881 said:
Well, whenever I start my Supra, there is a puff of grey smoke for a moment. But driving around the exhaust is clean, even under heavy load. Should I be concerned about this?

I should also mention that its been doing this since I bought it 2 years ago. It drives like a dream.
i am going to assume that is fuel from the start up. Usually they run very rich for the first few seconds. I wouldn't worry, but we will let others chime in. :)

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
supisarethebest;1319555 said:
its official bhg,i found the milky substance on the oil cap

I am in somewhat BHG denial, but I have the milky substance on the oil cap, and was wondering if this could be caused by anything else...is there any way that the turbo seals can mix coolant in the oil without showing serious signs of turbo failure?? Or are there any other ways to get the milky white under the cap??

I did a block test and it passed, and I don't drive the car (it is for sale) so I can't monitor coolant levels or anything...

Just wondering if I may have jumped the gun on the BHG?? Probably not...any input is appreciated tho.

supisarethebest

bhg all day!!!!
Feb 19, 2009
rhode island
88mkIIIproject;1320287 said:
I am in somewhat BHG denial, but I have the milky substance on the oil cap, and was wondering if this could be caused by anything else...is there any way that the turbo seals can mix coolant in the oil without showing serious signs of turbo failure?? Or are there any other ways to get the milky white under the cap??

I did a block test and it passed, and I don't drive the car (it is for sale) so I can't monitor coolant levels or anything...

Just wondering if I may have jumped the gun on the BHG?? Probably not...any input is appreciated tho.

i was in denile ever since i rebuild the engine and it started smokin right after so i wouldnt even second guess it

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Sam;1319881 said:

Mine does the same thing and it is because it is running rich at startup. The smoke goes away once the motor is all warmed up though. I would not worry at all :icon_bigg

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Poodles;1320432 said:
If it passed the block test it's probably fine...

If you want to do another test, send your oil out to be tested...

even with the milky substance showing up under the oil cap? would this show up for any other reason than a BHG?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
By product of combustion is water. Condensation in the oil builds. If you only take short trips, it never gets hot enough to get rid of it.

it's why short trips are bad for your engine. Oil contamination.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Poodles;1321160 said:
By product of combustion is water. Condensation in the oil builds. If you only take short trips, it never gets hot enough to get rid of it.

it's why short trips are bad for your engine. Oil contamination.

but doesn't oil+water look different than oil+coolant? meaning, would you really still get milk under the oil cap?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
well Poodles, looks like you were right. I drove the car a decent distance, and now there is NO milk under the oil cap. complete false alarm, and now I feel like a dummy!!

Mario

Jan 26, 2009
st. paul
D34DC311;1279711 said:
Negative, I'ma go with turbo seals are going or gone. Mine smokes too, its just burning a bit of oil. Keep the oil checked and keep boosting.

Or a bit of oil is getting past and into your intake and your burning it there.

yea i was told that too but think it's also cause to no cat

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
I have been dealing with all these issues... I have an 88 with a rebuilt 89 7mgte in it... it smokes for about 5 seconds on start up and when boosting.... but is fine at idle.. although my idle is high... I smell oil burning when boosting, but it has a new MHG... passed compression check and and my coolant levels never change... but i'm losing oil very slowly... the harder I drive it the more oil I lose and vice versa.... any thoughts would be helpful...