White puffs of smoke?

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
So i raced my friends silvia the other day and afterwards in a parking lot i noticed my car would shoot out a puff of white smoke if i rev'ed it really quick and let go. i didnt think too much of it as the car still drives almost perfect but its still doing it and i thought maybe one of the turbos are on there way out or my compression might be low, but i really have no idea. just wanted to know if you guys had any tips or suggestions. thanks

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1279693 said:
::bhg:: as much as it pains me too say it.....

you should do a compression test and leak down to know for sure.

Negative, I'ma go with turbo seals are going or gone. Mine smokes too, its just burning a bit of oil. Keep the oil checked and keep boosting.

Or a bit of oil is getting past and into your intake and your burning it there.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
NewWestSupras;1279725 said:
Oil smoke is usually grey, not white. I'd still do a leak down and a compression test. Keep an eye on your coolant levels and oil, too. gl.

No coolant disappearing, I'm betting it looked white, it does take a keen eye to spot the difference, not saying OP is lying, but its prolly a small oil leak. Jumping on the BHG train is prolly the last thing he should be checking.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
D34DC311;1279738 said:
No coolant disappearing, I'm betting it looked white, it does take a keen eye to spot the difference, not saying OP is lying, but its prolly a small oil leak. Jumping on the BHG train is prolly the last thing he should be checking.

Really?? White smoke usually does not come from oil burning, and every time I've seen smoke I can generally tell what its from. Just because your coolant levels are fine does not mean the OP is not loosing coolant, he should check.

I agree with keeping an eye on the coolant level. But anytime I see white smoke I would do a compression test, its an easy thing to do and is good data to have with an older motor anyway (hell any motor with smoke for that matter). It would not hurt a thing to do a comp test, the gauges are cheap enough (I bought an old style non screw in type for 20$ and got the same results as the screw in type, just have to hold it in striaght).

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Just smell the smoke. Easy way to smell if its coolant, lol.

Its probably the engine (valve seals or something). Turbos usually smoke at idle.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
eh not everyone knows what burning coolant smells like ;)
valve stem seals smoke when cold and go away (unless they are That bad...)
bad piston rings will do that (thus the compression check)
as for headgasket i doubt but it never hurts to use the test from napa or wherever to determine if you have one (you can eye the coolant all you want it can still blow faster than a *insert prostitute joke here*)
ive seen turbos smoke all of the time too not just at idle.. or more under higher engine load

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
i will try to make a video in the next couple days and post it,ill also get a compression test outta the way by the weekend thanks for all the help. the smoke however smells bitterish burnt, not sweet

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
one of your turbos will need to be rebuilt soon. I doubt it has a BHG. When mine smoked, it looked like white smoke in the mirror, but I could definatly smell it was oil, and if the wind ws behind me, I could see that there was a little grey to the smoke

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
Its probally valve stem seals or turbos, mine is doing the same thing, it kinda looks white but its def oil you can smell it. i think mine are valve seals, cause it only does it off the trottle, but it could just as easily could be turbos, just keep track of your oil and you'll be fine for a while. but you will eventually have to get new turbos or valve seals or both.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
i have a bad turbo that leaks oil and it burns Blue. I dont what kind of oil you guys use but all my cars that have burned oil always burned blueish gray. I also have a BHG and it does infact burn a white color and smells terribly sweet. If i had a say in this i'd say you do have a BHG.

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
ok so i finally got a compression test done, the results are 125 105 105 112 124 144. this seems a little low to me, anyone know the manufacture thresholds? maybe its time to do 1.5jz...

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
terror;1300945 said:
ok so i finally got a compression test done, the results are 125 105 105 112 124 144. this seems a little low to me, anyone know the manufacture thresholds? maybe its time to do 1.5jz...

Dont know what the manufacture specifies. but those numbers are too low. my 1j was 145 155 160 160 150 145. A good heathly rebuild motor should be up around 170.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
as i recall the variance between cylinders should be no more than 14psi, the 7m is ~142psi but i cant recall if the 1j is different but it should not be around 100, i am pretty sure thats too low..... my condolences, i just went through this with my rebuilt 7m, so i know how bad it sucks. Goodluck on the 1.5JZ :)

supisarethebest

bhg all day!!!!
Feb 19, 2009
rhode island
hi guys i have an 88turbo just spent about 3500bucks on rebuild and replacing hoses,but now i have white smoke out of my exhaust,i know that it could either be a compression problem,or bad turbo etc can someone point me away from the infamous bhg (i do have mhg)

SpoolinSupra

Jul 5, 2006
Wyoming Valley, PA
www.myspace.com
supisarethebest;1302726 said:
hi guys i have an 88turbo just spent about 3500bucks on rebuild and replacing hoses,but now i have white smoke out of my exhaust,i know that it could either be a compression problem,or bad turbo etc can someone point me away from the infamous bhg (i do have mhg)

you need to be way more specific when saying white smoke...coolant smoke will be very white and smell sweet, like coolant...wanna know the smell? take a cap ful of coolant and pour it onto the exhaust mani or turbine housing and smell...if its not coolant, than its either blackish grey (fuel, too rich) and will sting your eyes and smell like gas kinda, or bluish grey (oil) and smell like..well you get the idea