White Package 92 Turbo with 53k Miles Popped up in CO.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I check craigs most days in case anything interesting pops up. Well, today might be the most interesting I've seen in Colorado.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/rare-1992-toyota-supra-turbo/6472651333.html

92 White Package Turbo, Auto, Hardtop (with sunroof), 53k miles.

Unfortunately, they know what they have and then some. Asking $29k.

I have zero affiliation with the seller other than we both live in Colorado. I love seeing these pop up. I'm tempted to offer the guy $100 to let me do a walk around video with a brief test drive.

Attachments

• 01414_6drDkUTDr3b_1200x900.jpg
    01414_6drDkUTDr3b_1200x900.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 00x0x_lMNVyRVy3kc_1200x900.jpg
    00x0x_lMNVyRVy3kc_1200x900.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 32

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Nice car, but I wouldn't dream of getting that price. If it was something rare, like a teal with shadow grey targa manual, then maybe, but a white package with burgandy interior is, well, meh

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
CLEAN MKIIIs are, unfortunately, a rarity and, like MKIVs, if you're looking for a CLEAN car, and find one, it may not be your #1 color choice. At that point, one has to decide if they believe they will actually be fortunate enough to find such a car and whether they would be willing to pay the premium for rare color choices.

For the non-Supra aficionado, color will not, necessarily, be as important as provenance, mileage and overall condition. It seems as if the MKIII market for clean cars is beginning to show life but, as said, there are very few truly clean MKIIIs available. As such, the ones that do come to market will be priced accordingly and this car may be one of them.

Ken.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Here's the question. What if you happen to find a 1992 turbo 5speed teal shadow gray with low miles in CO owned by some old lady that had no clue of its worth and was asking 4k.....would you feel bad buying it for that price?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Seems like all the later year mk3 Supra's with the red interior's have been hiding with those low miles ;)

Because nobody wanted to actually spend time in those interiors driving them!

Here's the question. What if you happen to find a 1992 turbo 5speed teal shadow gray with low miles in CO owned by some old lady that had no clue of its worth and was asking 4k.....would you feel bad buying it for that price?

That's a great ethics question, haha. I'd probably offer up some little extra, but I wouldn't be exclaiming that I'd pay 5x that for it!

CLEAN MKIIIs are, unfortunately, a rarity and, like MKIVs, if you're looking for a CLEAN car, and find one, it may not be your #1 color choice. At that point, one has to decide if they believe they will actually be fortunate enough to find such a car and whether they would be willing to pay the premium for rare color choices.

For the non-Supra aficionado, color will not, necessarily, be as important as provenance, mileage and overall condition. It seems as if the MKIII market for clean cars is beginning to show life but, as said, there are very few truly clean MKIIIs available. As such, the ones that do come to market will be priced accordingly and this car may be one of them.

Ken.

Agreed Ken. Cars like this (and yours) are very few and far between regardless of color combo. I've seen exactly 2 91/92 turbos in mint condition go up for sale in CO in the last 3 years. This one and another a couple years back. The other was black on black (shadow grey) and up for $12k. Seems like a bargain now, just a couple short years later. I think it was manual, too.

Nice car, but I wouldn't dream of getting that price. If it was something rare, like a teal with shadow grey targa manual, then maybe, but a white package with burgandy interior is, well, meh

Teal, shadow grey leather, 5 spd turbo hardtop in good shape will be the pinnacle of the MK3 collector market. Very, very few around. I wouldn't be surprised to see a clean one sub 100k miles go for upwards of $50k at this point. I haven't even seen many on the forums in recent years and all that I can recall are pretty used and abused at this point.

I think the white package adds some value, but damn that red interior is an eyesore.

It's pretty funny how wide the mk3 market is becoming. The mk4's are all just expensive. A beat up NA auto early year is still $20k listing price. The mk3's though, haha. On the same page as that nearly $30,000 92 turbo is a relatively clean 86 NA for $1600. You could buy literally 20 cheap mk3's for the price of one clean one.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
This car was 20k in AZ 5 months ago. I happen to love them all including the color of the interior on this White Package 92' The seller is trying to flip it. I would say it is worth 29k as we go forward but it won't sell easy. It’s going to take someone to see the value in it. In 5 years later we will look back and say damn that was cheap lol?? Will wait-and-see I guess.

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada

Nope. In this day and age, ignorance is not an excuse. If you don't know what you have, that's on you, not the buyer.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada

I just don't see the value in the MKIII market. You can buy a decent shape car, and do a full strip and restore back to better than original, and still be less than what some people are asking for a "clean" car. And all of those people buying the clean cars, 90% mod them anyways, so it's not like there are many actual original unrestored cars around.

Still kicking myself a bit that I didn't buy a black MKIV TT auto that I could have gotten for under $18k 10 years ago. But hindsight is 20/20, right?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I just don't see the value in the MKIII market. You can buy a decent shape car, and do a full strip and restore back to better than original, and still be less than what some people are asking for a "clean" car. And all of those people buying the clean cars, 90% mod them anyways, so it's not like there are many actual original unrestored cars around.

Still kicking myself a bit that I didn't buy a black MKIV TT auto that I could have gotten for under $18k 10 years ago. But hindsight is 20/20, right?

I'd disagree with that first statement. Doing a full restoration on a mk3 would be more expensive than asking price on these high dollar mk3s. A good restoration would involve a lot of work people commonly skip when doing a build. The full restorations of classic cars you see roll across Barrett Jackson, for instance, rarely bring back at auction what it cost them to restore. If done "correctly" it's vastly more expensive than a simple clean build. Where would you buy new trim? How much would it cost to have them professionally restored? That alone would be thousands if done properly. Most people just clean up the existing pieces with some very mild rework for a few bucks. That's not the same thing as the virgin pieces on low mile cars.

In my time in the Supra online community, I've only ever watched one or two actual restorations or maintaining a "restored" grade car. One was the guy that bought a blue pre89 and I'm not sure it ever got finished. He wasn't going for a stock restoration, but he was taking everything to a similar level of quality. He was refinishing every little thing including the fuel tank straps. New parts throughout. Doing that today would cost a shit-load of money and time tracking down new or near new interior and misc parts. The other is probably Ken's "Crimson Tide". Aside from those two, I can't recall a car anywhere near stock in a kind of condition that competes with the recent few low mile cars we've seen pop up.

Spending $10k on a DIY paint job, engine rebuild and suspension refresh isn't the same as a full-on restoration that can compete with these low miles cars. I think there is a sweet spot right now where you can find decent condition cars that could be restored and sold for a profit, but that gap is going to close quickly as the cheaper "decent" cars dry up.

That's my crystal ball vision at least, haha.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
^^Appreciate your comments, suprarx7nut, but my car, while very nice, is not in the class of vehicles you describe in your first paragraph above. Your point is very well taken about the cost of an OEM-quality restoration. The cost of an OEM-quality restoration far exceeds the cost of the car when new or the sale price of the car post restoration. This assumes you can actually source OEM parts. Likely as not, this will be problematic and purchasing NOS parts at shows, or on the internet, can be prohibitively expensive. It's why you always want to be the second owner of such a car and purchase it from the guy who spent all the money and had all the work done.

I get the part about favored exterior and interior colors, but the Barrett-Jackson car and this car both have the burgundy interior that, anecdotally at least, doesn't appear to be that popular as an interior color. That said, in the MKIV world, there is a saying, coined by yours truly, that "Condition Trumps Mileage" and color, transmission and other choices we had when the affected vehicle was for sale. I think the same point can be made about MKIIIs, especially where OEM parts are concerned. At this point, if you are interested in purchasing any generation of Supra, extreme due diligence about the condition and need for OEM parts is highly recommended. It doesn't make much sense to spend your money on a car that needs parts that are no longer available.

Back, briefly, to the popular color issue. I own an anthracite metallic MKIV hard top (1 of 19). I mention this because anthracite metallic was so unpopular when the car was being sold new that the popular reference to this color on the street was "monkey shit brown" or MSB. As a result, not too many cars, targas or hard tops, were sold in this color and none after 1994. Now, along with Royal Sapphire Pearl and Quick Silver, it is the third color at the top of the MKIV most desirable colors food chain. Twenty-plus years ago, who knew?

Ken.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
FYI - someone just posted a 1992 teal 5speed turbo sunroof with shadow gray on one of the Facebook supra groups. Only mods are intake, exhaust and intercooler according to the post. It also has a crack in the dash. I messaged the kid and he told me it was originally auto and swapped to an r154 by the previous owner. The car was also resprayed. Looks nice though sitting on mkiv chromes. He wants 9k obo.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
FYI - someone just posted a 1992 teal 5speed turbo sunroof with shadow gray on one of the Facebook supra groups. Only mods are intake, exhaust and intercooler according to the post. It also has a crack in the dash. I messaged the kid and he told me it was originally auto and swapped to an r154 by the previous owner. The car was also resprayed. Looks nice though sitting on mkiv chromes. He wants 9k obo.

How do you know he wants $9k?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
^^Appreciate your comments, suprarx7nut, but my car, while very nice, is not in the class of vehicles you describe in your first paragraph above. Your point is very well taken about the cost of an OEM-quality restoration. The cost of an OEM-quality restoration far exceeds the cost of the car when new or the sale price of the car post restoration. This assumes you can actually source OEM parts. Likely as not, this will be problematic and purchasing NOS parts at shows, or on the internet, can be prohibitively expensive. It's why you always want to be the second owner of such a car and purchase it from the guy who spent all the money and had all the work done.

I get the part about favored exterior and interior colors, but the Barrett-Jackson car and this car both have the burgundy interior that, anecdotally at least, doesn't appear to be that popular as an interior color. That said, in the MKIV world, there is a saying, coined by yours truly, that "Condition Trumps Mileage" and color, transmission and other choices we had when the affected vehicle was for sale. I think the same point can be made about MKIIIs, especially where OEM parts are concerned. At this point, if you are interested in purchasing any generation of Supra, extreme due diligence about the condition and need for OEM parts is highly recommended. It doesn't make much sense to spend your money on a car that needs parts that are no longer available.

Back, briefly, to the popular color issue. I own an anthracite metallic MKIV hard top (1 of 19). I mention this because anthracite metallic was so unpopular when the car was being sold new that the popular reference to this color on the street was "monkey shit brown" or MSB. As a result, not too many cars, targas or hard tops, were sold in this color and none after 1994. Now, along with Royal Sapphire Pearl and Quick Silver, it is the third color at the top of the MKIV most desirable colors food chain. Twenty-plus years ago, who knew?

Ken.

I'll believe that yours isn't that clean when you post up a link to a thread on here within the last few years with a better car! ;)

He removed the post really quickly. I suspect he got about 20 messages in 10 minutes, haha.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I'll believe that yours isn't that clean when you post up a link to a thread on here within the last few years with a better car! ;)

He removed the post really quickly. I suspect he got about 20 messages in 10 minutes, haha.

Yea I wonder if it sold. He was getting a lot of questions about it. Only thing is he didn't have any pics of the engine or interior but I suspect it was in decent shape. You would just have to find a shadow gray dash. Also, i didnt like the fact it wasnt a manual from the factory. If I were to buy that car I would return it to 100% stock and barely drive it. I personally dont have the money to invest in a car im not going to drive.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Man I really wish Toyota kept the itemized build #'s for the MK3. I would kill to know how many Two Tones were produced in the 2.5 year period.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
92 White Package Turbo, Auto, Hardtop (with sunroof), 53k miles.
Pros:
White package
Turbo
Sunroof (!)
Very nice condition from the pictures

Cons:
Auto
Looks like a used tampon

Why, why, WHY was red such a popular color for interiors in the 70's and 80's??? Is it so the cocaine was easier to find if you dropped it?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Why, why, WHY was red such a popular color for interiors in the 70's and 80's??? Is it so the cocaine was easier to find if you dropped it?

Duude the 91-92 Deep Red looks so sexy in person. If it were 91 I wouldve ordered a MK3 with that interior color. MMMM