which turbo for my setup?

blue_supra_boy2

Mar 12, 2009
California
I have a 7mgte but I'm having trouble deciding on the best turbo for my plans. Right now I got the bic ddp with 3in exhaust no cat,hks air filter, hks 3000 throttle body, greddy intercooler and piping.

at the same time I put the turbo I plan on putting either the rc550 or the suprasport 550 with the walbro fuel pump and lex afm.

on the turbos I'm stuck between the Boss Sr series turbo or the Boss jr or the greddy tdo6 20g

blue_supra_boy2

Mar 12, 2009
California
queenskid926;1444322 said:
what are your power goals and plans for the car? Drag only? Quick spool up on the street? etc

i plan on making it my weekend car and might take it to the track once in a while i want the car both reliable and fast

Mark Conte

Supramania Contributor
I admit my unfamiliarity with the "Boss" turbochargers, but you haven't given anyone any information at all in which to give you an answer. The only possible answers that someone could give you right now will be arbitrary "I like this one." Which will undoubtedly be because they own one.

You need quantitative goals and expectations for someone to be able to actually help. Not only that, but if you gave some specifications on the turbochargers, that would help. Fast and reliable doesn't in any way rule one turbo out or put one turbo above the other.

blue_supra_boy2

Mar 12, 2009
California
Mark Conte;1445043 said:
I admit my unfamiliarity with the "Boss" turbochargers, but you haven't given anyone any information at all in which to give you an answer. The only possible answers that someone could give you right now will be arbitrary "I like this one." Which will undoubtedly be because they own one.

You need quantitative goals and expectations for someone to be able to actually help. Not only that, but if you gave some specifications on the turbochargers, that would help. Fast and reliable doesn't in any way rule one turbo out or put one turbo above the other.

ok i understand you i plan on reaching a good 550-600 hp once i tune. i want the turbo to spool pretty fast but i still want it to hold on high rpms

i dont noe much about the BOSS sr. but that it comes with triple ceramic ball bearing and they make the compressing housing either 58 or 61

ok i noe that the lipp BOSS jr comes in both 57 trim or the 60-1 triple ball bearing it goes some what in the same route as a rebuild ct26

i really dont know much about the Greddy TD06 20G but that some people really like it and others disagree i was first shooting at the greddy before i found the BOSS Sr. and Jr.

or any ideas on other good turbos u guys have had or r running?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
blue_supra_boy2;1445051 said:
ok i understand you i plan on reaching a good 550-600 hp once i tune. i want the turbo to spool pretty fast but i still want it to hold on high rpms

i dont noe much about the BOSS sr. but that it comes with triple ceramic ball bearing and they make the compressing housing either 58 or 61

ok i noe that the lipp BOSS jr comes in both 57 trim or the 60-1 triple ball bearing it goes some what in the same route as a rebuild ct26

i really dont know much about the Greddy TD06 20G but that some people really like it and others disagree i was first shooting at the greddy before i found the BOSS Sr. and Jr.

or any ideas on other good turbos u guys have had or r running?

550-600hp is ALOT guy. I dont think any of those turbos are capable of producing that efficiently. You also are not set up for that kind of power. LEX/550's is NOT gonna cut it. You need standalone, or at least a good piggyback setup. Whats your HG situation. Unless youve switched to a MHG installed properly, your gonna pop it trying to make that kind of power.
Do some research, get a better idea of what kind of other mods your gonna need, then start worrying about your turbo. Holset is a cheap solution. Alot of guys are using Master Power turbos as well.
I dont know enough to reccomend a turbo for you goals, but I can tell you a factory manifold bolt up isnt gonna cut it, and I dont think the 20g will cut it either.

blue_supra_boy2

Mar 12, 2009
California
lewis15498;1445062 said:
550-600hp is ALOT guy. I dont think any of those turbos are capable of producing that efficiently. You also are not set up for that kind of power. LEX/550's is NOT gonna cut it. You need standalone, or at least a good piggyback setup. Whats your HG situation. Unless youve switched to a MHG installed properly, your gonna pop it trying to make that kind of power.
Do some research, get a better idea of what kind of other mods your gonna need, then start worrying about your turbo. Holset is a cheap solution. Alot of guys are using Master Power turbos as well.
I dont know enough to reccomend a turbo for you goals, but I can tell you a factory manifold bolt up isnt gonna cut it, and I dont think the 20g will cut it either.

ok what about a 450-500 hp goal will any of those turbos be good or will i still need a bigger turbo and standalone

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Its definitely possible with the lipp boss sr. But they are really pricey. At that price I would want to ditch the factory manifold. You can get rebuilt holsets for under 500 bucks, and good used ones for around 300. They are readily available because they come off of cummins diesel trucks. Sounds like $$ is your restraining factor which is why I reccomend this. 450-500 is doable with good piggyback such as MAFT PRO and ditch the afm and go speed density. You dont want any lag, then 500 hp is not for you. Look into the holset HX35 and HY35. These will make good power with little lag. Instead of asking for a set up that matches the numbers you want, look for a set up that will work well together, then tune and see where you stand. Spending some time looking at others build threads and set ups will give you a better idea of what you need.

PS dont know much about the greddy 20g, just know that its way too expensive for me.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
The Boss Jr turbos should make you about 400-450 WHP with a 60 trim.

A friend of mine has a 20g i believe, but anything that bolts up to the stock exhaust manifold won't be able to put out the numbers you're talking about (500-600hp).

You'd need to go with one of the Boss Series T3/4 or GTS to to get those numbers.

Mark Conte

Supramania Contributor
550-600hp shouldn't be attempted with the injectors you have. As a general blanket statement on a 6 cylinder I usually say that maximum gasoline horsepower is 1hp per cc assuming a 3 bar base fuel pressure. 520-550hp should be the maximum unless you over fuel pump it and ramp up base pressure. Just pay attention since this is taxing on the fuel pumps.

I don't agree with the triple ball bearing hype, but that's just me. Anyways if you're looking for something that will make 550-600hp, the 60-1 will be a better bet compressor wheel wise. (That is if you're talking about a 57 trim in T3/T4-speak)

blue_supra_boy2

Mar 12, 2009
California
ok wat about for the 450-500 range which turbo will be best and will the 550cc with the lexus afm hold up or would i have to do a standalone or anything else

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
blue_supra_boy2;1445112 said:
ok wat about for the 450-500 range which turbo will be best and will the 550cc with the lexus afm hold up or would i have to do a standalone or anything else

500cc will be good for 450, i would use 680's for anything above that just to be safe. the 550cc can do it, but you will be maxing out the injectors

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Sounds like a broken record here. I have a feeling your aways from 500 hp. you started at 550 -600 now 450-500. Set yourself realistic goals and go for it. Your gonna want to worry about that HG if you haven't yet. Your gonna want to consider fuel pump and a GOOD FPR. Piggy back system for a tune. You cant just bolt a turbo on and get what the turbo says its capabilities. Look at it like this. You lift weights and eat like a slob isn't gonna get that athletic body. These things all have to be done in correlation with other mods to get the results you need. Im not trying to bust your balls but you better get that Motor right before you try throwing so much boost and hp at it.

This is just my .02 I hope you already have everything taken care of and you meet your goals bro.

Goodluck.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
p1460716_1.jpg
and pray for no ::bhg::

(Boss SR. stage 5, gts61, triple ceramic ball bearing, polished. IIRC )

crazyintentions

Sep 12, 2007
toronto
blue_supra_boy2;1445064 said:
ok what about a 450-500 hp goal will any of those turbos be good or will i still need a bigger turbo and standalone
Hey I am parting some stuff outta my car... I got a GT35R Dbb with a 83 hot side and a 70 cold i made 407rwhp on 16 psi and 440's not bad huh... well I have a Obx mani,turbonetics racegate wastegate,v-band d/p 3', intake with filter, lines (braded) and fittings looking for $1500.00 canadian lmk if you are interested and i can email you some pics or just hit me an email @crazyintentions@hotmail.com

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Mark Conte;1445078 said:
550-600hp shouldn't be attempted with the injectors you have. As a general blanket statement on a 6 cylinder I usually say that maximum gasoline horsepower is 1hp per cc assuming a 3 bar base fuel pressure. 520-550hp should be the maximum unless you over fuel pump it and ramp up base pressure. Just pay attention since this is taxing on the fuel pumps.

I don't agree with the triple ball bearing hype, but that's just me. Anyways if you're looking for something that will make 550-600hp, the 60-1 will be a better bet compressor wheel wise. (That is if you're talking about a 57 trim in T3/T4-speak)[/b[

I read through this thread and this couldnt be more correct. I run a Jt56(TO4E .57) bolton turbo with EVERY supporting mod.I made 400whp @ 15psi 423 @ 17psi,sloppy "tune" and unstable boost.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
is the info yall are giving for just turbo boost pressure or are you taking into account meth/water injection or cry02 kit. bc i would think that you can get more power/psi out of any given turbo assuming your using an injection system thus get more power. if this is confusing, what i mean is, people have been recommending boost pressures and turbo sizes but what about raising boost and adding meth/water/cry02. just a thought, just curious

Mark Conte

Supramania Contributor
7M-KDL;1467576 said:
is the info yall are giving for just turbo boost pressure or are you taking into account meth/water injection or cry02 kit. bc i would think that you can get more power/psi out of any given turbo assuming your using an injection system thus get more power. if this is confusing, what i mean is, people have been recommending boost pressures and turbo sizes but what about raising boost and adding meth/water/cry02. just a thought, just curious

Why do you think methanol injection will yield more power per PSI of boost? The oversimplified version is - it's not going to change much at all. Knock threshold may change thus allowing for more boost, but that's a different matter entirely.