Which Radiator is better?

suprajosh

Nov 6, 2007
anaheim CA
what is so good about mishimoto radiator, so far ive heard it has poor fitment, but idk, other than that i just thought it was ebay

enlighten me, thanks again in advance

-josh

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
anyone noticed a significant (spell check please) difference between stock and aftermarket radiators, besides being aluminium and shinny? does that extra capacity and extra row really help??

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes, it does...the thermal capacity of a dual core radiator is significantly greater than stock. You also increase coolant fluid capacity.

Josh - I have a CSF radiator (dual core), fitment is perfect and I experience no over heating issues during the summer. Not true for the stock radiator...the motor ran hot.
BTW - I live in Phoenix AZ ;)

The Fluidyne and Koyo look nicer, but offer no real increase in function over the CSF. The CSF is a lot cheaper than both.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
jdub;1387026 said:
Yes, it does...the thermal capacity of a dual core radiator is significantly greater than stock. You also increase coolant fluid capacity.

Josh - I have a CSF radiator (dual core), fitment is perfect and I experience no over heating issues during the summer. Not true for the stock radiator...the motor ran hot.
BTW - I live in Phoenix AZ ;)

The Fluidyne and Koyo look nicer, but offer no real increase in function. The CSF is a lot cheaper than both.

"J" Dub being that you live in a "Oven" state I guess that answers my question: I only asked is because alot of parts for our cars don't offer better performance, (other than looks). I'll admit, I bought a innercooler for looks, but if it wasn't for the price, I'd still have my stock I.C. I'm only running 400 h.p.,also do you have experience on the other radiators, why did you say they don't offer increase cooling capacity aren't they dual core and larger capacity?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A dual core radiator is a requirement in AZ IMO ;)

I was referring to in comparison to the CSF radiator...the Fluidyne and Koyo are also a huge increase in capacity over stock. Did an edit on the previous post...sorry bout that.

A very good friend of mine has a Fluidyne radiator here and it works very well. Though, my CSF keeps the coolant about 10 deg cooler...meh, that falls in the margin of sensor error.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I've been thinking about getting the PWR radiator. It is a little more expensive than the others, but I've heard it has slightly better cooling capacity. Is this true?

suprajosh

Nov 6, 2007
anaheim CA
ive heard that too... about the PWR radiator... is it true???

thanks everyone for your input... this is very helpful

what is CSF radiator

thanks
-josh

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
if mounting points are the only differences and theres no discernible difference in the quality of the metal or welding, what's to stop one from ordering a Megan 3-row instead of the mishimoto or fluidyne.

i think its the quality difference and actual temperature differences the OP was looking for.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
ark86;1387054 said:
I've been thinking about getting the PWR radiator. It is a little more expensive than the others, but I've heard it has slightly better cooling capacity. Is this true?

It may (no experience with a PWR), but think about how a radiator works. With excess radiator thermal capacity, the T-stat will modulate fluid flow to the radiator. The coolant will reach the rated temp of the stat and stay in a tight range. Under heavier load, the stat will open more (to the point of full open) and maintain the rated temp. If additional heat is transferred to the coolant after it's full open and the radiator is shedding the max heat it is capable of, coolant temps will increase.

The opposite is also true...if you are producing the max heat the motor is capable of and it is less than the thermal capacity of the radiator, the coolant will never over heat. Additional radiator capacity becomes over kill at a certain point.

All this assumes that there is good air flow over the radiator that allows it to get rid of heat to the atmosphere at it's design ability.

suprajosh;1387060 said:
what is CSF radiator

https://935motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=79_14_39&products_id=621

suprajosh

Nov 6, 2007
anaheim CA
yeah yeah... temperature differences, thats what i need, idk just wanted input... im not buying some ebay junk thats for damn sure... as long as it has a reputable name and it can back it up with its function, im all over it

-josh

youre welcome

also i would post up pictures of my car but idk how haha

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Woah Woah Woah....

p1387113_1.jpg

Mishimoto has redesigned their rad. :nono:

They No longer have poor fitment!!!

Koyo or Mishimoto IMO. (Both of them require you to shave the lower mounts but are great!) However Koyo needs a plug for the 1JZ Hydro fan sensor....

CSF is long gone. (Ask i know.) ;)

Stat Racing has them for 240 + Tax in CA.

http://www.statracing.com/buy/mishimoto-radiator.asp

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ark86;1387054 said:

Largest stock fittment Rad you can buy for a Mk3, ran mine for years and never had an overheat situation no matter what.

Is it worth the price? only you can answer that if it's within your budget.

PWR had fittment issues with their early Mk3 Rads but I worked with them to iron out any issues so now they're plugNplay.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Zumtizzle;1387113 said:
Woah Woah Woah....

Mishimoto has redesigned their rad. :nono:

They No longer have poor fitment!!!

I was wondering WTF he was talking about too. There are 3-4 ruunning around here and all fit great. But what ever, let him buy what ever he wants. The OEM unit has no problem keeping my 7M cool even on these 90+ degree days with the A/C cranked.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ For the most part, that is a true statement...the OEM radiator will handle the heat load nicely. It's when you start really upping the HP the motor starts becoming a heat generator. Add an auto tranny to the load (especially in the oven I live in) and the stock rad shows it's limits pretty quick.

One other thing that will help is to upgrade the stock oil cooler and remove some of the thermal load off the radiator.