Which MHG to go with??

1nastymkIII

Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Which brand metal head gasket has everyone had luck with? Any to stay away from?

BTW: 7mgte with low miles and planning on using arp head studs and leaving the bottom end alone.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Well, from what I hear the Cometic has the most forgiveness (its in the mail as we speak), but the HKS Stopper is supposed to be the only MHG that you will buy.....but the RA spec is very low, so your machine work must be top notch.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
im just not a big fan of the cometic. simply because of the rivet placement and it doesnt seem to have as much of the FE on it compared to hks. but yes ive heard its a little more forgiving. but if the machine work is done correctly it shouldnt be an issue.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
it's all on your prep if you dont resurface and lap the block and head then dont bother stick to stock.

csolstad

Nov 12, 2005
Clinton, NJ
hks stopper, no machine work.. my head was rebuilt and i never blew the hg.. engine has been running awesome @ 14psi for the past ~3k mi. wouldnt get any other gasket

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Yeah i only had the head resurfaced with the bead type hks along with some permatex. I know here they say don't do that, but so far no problems! I strongly believe it all has to do with how your surfaces are prepared. If i had to do it all over again I honestly probably would of stuck with a stock headgasket with arp studs for the power goals im trying to attain. I think it was dr. Jonez who ran a stocker running well over 400 hp with no problems, maybe he will chime in.

Last edited: