Which engine?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
btw if you wanna pay 6k for an engine swap just to get 50-90 more hp with a stock motor...then go for it but in the end torque still wins!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Grandavi;1940736 said:
Also.. just as an example of what I was saying about forgetting about doing a swap and just buying a car... here is a sample of what I mean...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...rrior-Build)&p=1937534&viewfull=1#post1937534

Not saying to buy that car, but that's just one very quick example of how you can get a MK3 for between 8000-15,000.00 (depending on how well built you want it) and save yourself a TON of money...

Just go over the spec list on the car I linked and figure out parts costs... then figure out time costs... this car (parts and labor) would be well over double the asking price to build. (Cheaper if you are doing the work, but still a lot of time involved).

Your sometimes far better off starting with a car already done...there are a lot of them out there if you look. ...just saying.

If I were to enter the Supra game without a car now (knowing all I know...) this is the path I would take... especially if I owned a NA MK3
THIS.

I sold my 7M car with $25k in parts alone into it, for $7500. I paid a fair bit more than that for my 2J car, however, the $$$ already invested in it was way over what I had into the 7M car.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
BryanDyer;1940753 said:
btw if you wanna pay 6k for an engine swap just to get 50-90 more hp with a stock motor...then go for it but in the end torque still wins!

6k for a damn good motor, and if you want more torque just go with a jdm vvti stock 280 hp and 340 torque.

What does a built 7m cost I had a 7m bottom end and I was at a little over 3k and I still needed to do the head work and head gasket. Plus little things here and there. I think I would of ended up in the $4500 range. So if the difference is $1500 I think its worth it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Holy crap, Trent is back :aigo:

S.A. supra;1940768 said:
6k for a damn good motor, and if you want more torque just go with a jdm vvti stock 280 hp and 340 torque.

What does a built 7m cost I had a 7m bottom end and I was at a little over 3k and I still needed to do the head work and head gasket. Plus little things here and there. I think I would of ended up in the $4500 range. So if the difference is $1500 I think its worth it.

Sigh.

For starters, the JDM 2J's make more torque because of their cams and turbos. Those turbos are also unreliable, just like the 1J's are.

Honestly, this is a pissing contest with you who has some psychotic hatred of the 7M and people that know better than you.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Poodles;1940771 said:
Holy crap, Trent is back :aigo:

Sigh.

For starters, the JDM 2J's make more torque because of their cams and turbos. Those turbos are also unreliable, just like the 1J's are.

Honestly, this is a pissing contest with you who has some psychotic hatred of the 7M and people that know better than you.

Poodle..... I don't hate 7ms. Just today advise a local guy just to get his 7m rebuilt by a local shop that a lot of local 7m guys use. I just call it like I see it. If the op has the money, and he says he does. Then he should just go 2j. Like it or not that's my option. I have given many reasons why going 2j would be a good choice. I'll add one more, more aftermarket choices and part are easier to come by.

Link where I told a guy to just rebuild his 7m.http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?103349-San-antonio/page342

Last edited:

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
S.A. supra;1940768 said:

yes 6k for the god damn motor if someone on here has to post a question asking which engine is best then they probably can't do a motor swap themselves so there's where paying someone to do it for you comes in
lets say 2500 for the motor itself
then for all of the custom work and labor going into it you're at about 6k
and he said he wanted 400 hp reliably for a dd why would you do a motor swap and spend all that money to get 400 hp reliably
the numbers are only for bragging rights you should be building it reliably and keeping the numbers out and see how happy you are with the power you can't give yourself a number and hope to hit that number everyone gets different numbers for 3000 you could easily have 400 or for the same amount you can get a stock j motor with stock twins and only have under 300hp for the same money! you sound like someone who owns a 240 and an just insists on getting an sr20 becuase it's soo much better than the ka24 right? no you can build a reliable ka to have just as much power and have just as much fun with it

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
BryanDyer;1940780 said:
yes 6k for the god damn motor if someone on here has to post a question asking which engine is best then they probably can't do a motor swap themselves so there's where paying someone to do it for you comes in
lets say 2500 for the motor itself
then for all of the custom work and labor going into it you're at about 6k
and he said he wanted 400 hp reliably for a dd why would you do a motor swap and spend all that money to get 400 hp reliably
the numbers are only for bragging rights you should be building it reliably and keeping the numbers out and see how happy you are with the power you can't give yourself a number and hope to hit that number everyone gets different numbers for 3000 you could easily have 400 or for the same amount you can get a stock j motor with stock twins and only have under 300hp for the same money! you sound like someone who owns a 240 and an just insists on getting an sr20 becuase it's soo much better than the ka24 right? no you can build a reliable ka to have just as much power and have just as much fun with it

Remember the op said he didn't like the 7m very much and had money to do a swap. It didn't sound like he was on a budget, so the best advise would be 2jzgte swap hands down.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I laugh at you guys sometimes... You forget sooooo much.

This is a NA car (if I read the original post correctly). He will need pretty well an entire front clip... Hopefully a good one (welcome to the gamble)

For either engine your going to need an exhaust, ecu, preferably an R154 although a W58 will handle 400 if I recall correctly. Then he's going to want suspension (not needed but let's not fool ourselves), brakes will need to be looked at... And the pit gets deeper and deeper.

I went into this thinking to achieve my goals I needed A, B and C because I misunderstood so much. I'm not a mechanic and I am not sure how much the OP can do, but none of this is cheap if your not holding the wrench. I found out that without thee hole damn alphabet my car was just a hunk of metal that drank gas.
Plus he's painting...

My build over 7 years has reached far far too much money because I fell for the numbers that people throw around. It CANNOT be done that cheaply unless you do the work yourself.

So... To the OP, how much can you do yourself?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I think we should have a sticky thread here where the only posts are from people who have made their decision already.....
Including what engine they chose, what their reason was for choosing that engine, and if they are happy with the decision they chose..... No engine bashing no people bashing just plain simple 1st person accounts for those who have this question and don't want to start a drama thread but are having trouble deciding which would be better for them

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
S.A. supra;1940785 said:
Remember the op said he didn't like the 7m very much and had money to do a swap. It didn't sound like he was on a budget, so the best advise would be 2jzgte swap hands down.
you must not have good reading comprehension becuase he never said he didn't like the 7m he pointed out things that go wrong and that his previous one had problems due to his own neglect and the previous owner
he asked if he should get a jz motor which he's obviously never had when it also...when not taken care of is just as unreliable as a 7m not taken care of, and also if you actually read his post like you say he said his budget was 4-6k if he's lucky this enough for a 2j but then in the end he's not meeting his goals he wishes to reach
your argument is invalid if you don't even know what the OP originally posted

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
jdmfreak;1940790 said:
I think we should have a sticky thread here where the only posts are from people who have made their decision already.....
Including what engine they chose, what their reason was for choosing that engine, and if they are happy with the decision they chose..... No engine bashing no people bashing just plain simple 1st person accounts for those who have this question and don't want to start a drama thread but are having trouble deciding which would be better for them

and possibly list the advantages they feel they gained over the previous motor that was in there and the disadvantages

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Some people on this forum just think the JZ is the most unstoppable force ever made. Next best thing besides sliced bread.

It's like this, IF your 7M failed. It was your fault. If you rebuilt it and it blew up again, still your fault. Pointed at you S.A.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
IndigoMKII;1940795 said:
Some people on this forum just think the JZ is the most unstoppable force ever made. Next best thing besides sliced bread.

It's like this, IF your 7M failed. It was your fault. If you rebuilt it and it blew up again, still your fault. Pointed at you S.A.
exactly! thank you
the engine doesn't just fail simply becuase it wants to fail it's completely user error

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'll throw a monkey wrench in this real quick.

Want 400HP reliably?
Want tons of torque?
Want it all cheap?

It's called an LS1...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Poodles;1940799 said:
I'll throw a monkey wrench in this real quick.

Want 400HP reliably?
Want tons of torque?
Want it all cheap?

It's called an LS1...

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but truf. I'm sure he wants to stay with a Toyota family though.