where to get engine internals?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
buying a engine isnt always the perfect answer. no matter what your gonna play with the engine to make sure the thing wont screw up on you. bhg is common so is rod knock. if you buy a engine then your still gonna have to pull the pan and see what the bearings look like.

also that headgasket is where i would always be wondering unless i did it myself. but once your go through it then theres no worrys.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i got a used 7mgte with 112k out of a crashed auto 90 supra from a junk yard in oregon over a year go. i paid 1150 shipped. with uncut harness and turbo. overall it was in dam good shape. it runs real stong to this day. i didn't really do mcuh to it other than a new clutch, some hoses, and, lines then dropped it in. it blew the hg in a couple months so i change it with a felpro hg and its been good ever since over 20k miles(i drive my supra A LOT). my advise if getting a used motor.

1. get it from a junk yard that is with in 6 hours away that way if anything comes up you can talk to them in person...also let them know that you will do this. and fuck that jdm shit if looking for a 7m. who knows that last time those motors ran.
2. make sure it has at least 3 month warrenty.
3. get out of the newest and lowest amount of mile car.
4. get a auto. less chance it has been beat on.
5. finally get it in there as fast as possible to make sure it doesn't knock. hg isn't shit as long as it doesn't trash the bearings.

edit: you can rebuild an engine pretty cheap if you do most the work. but you have to go to the machine shop and TELL them what you want done. the moment you ASK them your going to be in deep.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
So I have a big decision to make. Since there aren't many supras in iowa it would be hard to get another engine here for it. Rebuilding it would be another concern just because I don't really have a clean work area but I don't want to pay someone for the labor. I have a few people that can help me or guide me through a transplant or rebuild but the biggest thing is a place to do so. I will think of something, just let me know what you would do in this situation

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'd pay someone reputable to assemble an engine to drop in stage for you then ask here if there's anyone local that's done an install before if they can come help as there are a few "gotya's" with the Mk3 that soon add up to $$$ if you get it wrong....

Bri-Guy

rebuilding it properly
Oct 13, 2007
South Calgary
Assume that anything coming from a Japanese junk yard is shot, that way you won't be disappointed, and maybe pleasantly surprised if it isn't. They aren't sending us their best pieces out of the goodness of their hearts.
May be a good idea to roll the dice on a used motor from somewhere close that can verify the condition (compression etc) of the motor for you. But you are still taking a chance and it is HIGHLY recommended that you go though the engine to be sure that it is in good order before putting it in. Otherwise best bet is to ask around for a good shop to build it up for you.

As far as what is a car worth? It is not worth the sum of what someone else spent on adding parts to a car. Any extra parts/features are only worth what they are worth to you. A car that has $5000 worth of stereo equipment isn't worth $2000 if you don't care about the equipment (not counting if you could seperate and resell those parts).

Good luck!