where to get engine internals?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I'm looking to re-build a 7mgte with a rod knock. The guy notcied the knock about 2000 miles ago and is still daily driving it about 14 miles a day he said. Is it worth getting the car at the asking price of $2000? Its an 89 turbo targa. The body is in pretty good shape and the interior from the pics looks pretty clean, since it would be my first supra I just thought I would ask someone with more knowledge on the supra... If you think the it is worth rebuilding then does anyone know any websites that sell aftermarket engine internals like pistons, rods, cams, cranks, bearings etc... I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong section I just didn't know what this would go under. Thanks.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
It has a rod knock. So I'm guessing rod bearings,rods, pistons, crank possibly, mhg. I just wanted to know if anyone new where I could find prices for all of the parts, like a website or something.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
www.driftmotion.com is a good place for lots of stuff, Champion Toyota is a good place for good prices on dealer-only parts. And there are a number of venders right on Supramania that have great aftermarket items available.
You're prolly looking at about $1,000 for a reliable rebuild w/ stock parts, including machine work(resize rods, replace or cut crank, etc.).
$2,000 is a good price ONLY if the rest of the car is in really good shape, IMO.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Thanks a lot for your answers. I will check these out and see what happens from there

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
best engine internal upgrade out there is right here: *just dont let the little guy run off*

sm_photo_missing.jpg

lol, engines internals can range from a few hundred to several thousand. seems you want to rebuild with a mhg. well even thats gonna take a few bucks

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
With the amount of money your about to spend, most people have good prices.
But on certain things, like main/rod bearings and thrust washers, titan is key.

Driftmotion has lots of OEM goodies are pretty good prices, not to mention SS lines for a lot of stuff. Or just good ol' aftermarket goodies.

SIP also has really really good deals on certain things, just PM or call him and talk to him before you buy anything.

but 2k for a rod knocked supra is a lot...

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
supraguy@aol;1240919 said:
www.driftmotion.com is a good place for lots of stuff, Champion Toyota is a good place for good prices on dealer-only parts. And there are a number of venders right on Supramania that have great aftermarket items available.
You're prolly looking at about $1,000 for a reliable rebuild w/ stock parts, including machine work(resize rods, replace or cut crank, etc.).
$2,000 is a good price ONLY if the rest of the car is in really good shape, IMO.

Like really really good shape. I wouldn't pay $2,000 for a rod knocking Supra unless it was hands down the cleanest MKIII I've ever seen. It's a lot of money, time, and effort that you have to put in before you ever get to enjoy it. I'd personally keep looking for another one that isn't about to blow up.

Collin

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
um.....yeah.........it really depends on the condition and the previous owner. if they took good care of the car and invested a lot of money in it then 2g's for a dead supra isn't that bad. the car in my sig i got for 1700 with a bhg. in the end the tons of aftermarket and oem parts end up being worth more than what i paid for the car. i got a r154 that i'm just about done rebuilding and now i'm starting on the motor that obviously was just rebuilt by the freshly ground crank and reconditioned rods. they just fuck up with the hg. lucky me. plus the after market brakes and suspension alone was about 1g. just check it out. you never know.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
black89t;1241997 said:
um.....yeah.........it really depends on the condition and the previous owner. if they took good care of the car and invested a lot of money in it then 2g's for a dead supra isn't that bad. the car in my sig i got for 1700 with a bhg. in the end the tons of aftermarket and oem parts end up being worth more than what i paid for the car. i got a r154 that i'm just about done rebuilding and now i'm starting on the motor that obviously was just rebuilt by the freshly ground crank and reconditioned rods. they just fuck up with the hg. lucky me. plus the after market brakes and suspension alone was about 1g. just check it out. you never know.

Looking at your sig and couldn't but think "beautiful humboldt, ca". I haven't been up that way in a while, but I can't wait to boost down 101 again. :)

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yeah. up here 101 is the shit. well maintained, hardly any cops, tons of corners to carve, and yeah is really scenic doing 120 through the redwoods with the targa off. :naughty:

just bring it down to 75 under those over passes and you'll never get a ticket. let me know when you headed up here. if you can you should wait until april when we have the FREE street legal drags every other week end. hella fun dude. :biglaugh:

and i think maybe today or tomarrow i might go and take some pictures for a new sig. if you think that is scenic just wait.......

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Is it worth rebuilding the engine? I won't know how bad it is until I take it apart, maybe buying a whole new engine would be the way to go? I found a 7mgte for 1450, shipped to my house but it's used and in the shipping process the saran wrap squeezes the engine together and breaks some of the parts. That's what happened to someone else that ordered from them, I think the website is jdmenginescorp.com something like that.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I looked up some prices and it looks like it would cost around 1500 to 2000 to re- build not including machine work, unless I'm just looking in the wrong places. But I just added up all the stuff I thought I would need from driftmotion.com. So I think just buying a whole engine would be cheaper but I don't know if it would be better in the end?