Where to buy Crankshaft & Block?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Im thinking about buying a 87 Toyota supra with a seized 7MGTE. but im thinkin what if the block or crank is very damaged? where could i buy another? not even ebay has them for sale!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
For sale section, Want to buy section, craigslist, junkyards, jdm importer, and as you already mentioned egay.

Edit. I would do a tear down on yours and inspect and if need be take it to a skilled machinist to have a further inspection if you have any doubts.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Second on tearing it apart and taking it to machinist. Don't assume stuff is damaged.
BTW, how much are you going to buy this car for? With a siezed engine I'd imagine not much.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Yes i know my father is a certified technician. But we don't want to spend a lot. i guess its a risk we'll have to take. Machine shops do charge quite a lot

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Im from California & now I live in ARKANSAS. Finding a block around here is going to be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I been to all junkyards & YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY SUPRAS. once i did but next week someone bought the whole thing. & JDM importer you say?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If you were to find a 7mgte from a junkyard wouldn't you tear it down and inspect it? So why not tear down and inspect the one that's already sitting in the car?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
bmoss85;1609811 said:
I've got several of both if you wanted to drive to NC.

That is way too far. I would have a better chance of going to a machine shop & buying it there even though it might cost an arm & a leg. But name your prices anyway.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Either way your pretty much going to have to do a rebuild weather you want to go cheap and do it more than once or spend the doe and do it once.

Junkyard motor needs to be looked at, jdm motor really needs to be looked at, and any back yard motor thats been sitting really really needs to be looked at.

Unless someone is sellings a rebuilt motor(which i think there is one in the forsale section) your prolly going to have to rebuild.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
call rich at SIP, when I was in the "deciding on the builder stage" i was going to buy a block from him and have him build it. He is in Ohio but shipping a bare block and crank can be done through regular ground..

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
same blocks, the gte one will have the oil squiter holes drilled though. Not sure on turbo drain. I'd reuse what you have if its in decent condition.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Yes but aren't the Pistons different? GTE has lower compression while GE has higher compression. Im getting the 7MGTE block for $100 so it wouldn't hurt me to give $50 for the 7MGTE pistons.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
When you say block what exactly are you talking about? Block= bare block, shortblock= lower engine; pistons rods crank etc, long block=shortblock+head

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Yes the block would be the bare block with no pistons or crank. Short block is the block with pistons & crankshaft minus the cylinder head. Long block is cylinder block with pistons, crank & the cylinder head mounted already.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
I wouldnt bother with used oem pistons. If the rebuild is for a very mild power level run the NPR's. Other wise pony up for some forged pistons. With stock pistons, any machine work on the bores will leave the sidewall gap larger then desired with pistons that dont expand enough to fill it..

Eamon

Feb 3, 2010
USA
I have a Crankshaft I wouldn't mind selling. It's kind of rusted and corroded though. I'll post pictures around saturday when I go to the salvage yard where I keep my parts.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I have already bought a crank kit for my engine, Thank you though. But i do need the Turbo Oil pressure bolt & the Oil filter housing bolt as well. Do you have those?

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

I just want to keep it 100% stock for now. I desperately need the car right now. The pistons im going to get will be measured & then i will see what i will need and what not. Thanks for the tips tho! i really appreciate.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
ok well now that you found out that your car is a GE you do realize that your going to have to buy a harness and a ecu and a bunch of other small things too now right? I see your worried about money so i figured id let you know what you might be getting into if your worried about not spending much...