Where can I buy a Car side stereo harness?

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
My MR2 Harness is fucked up. Its weird for a Toyota radio, but its a single plug, rather than the normal Toyota 2.

Is that a junkyard item or does anyone know if I can find a ready to solder one at like circuit city or what not?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Sounds like it has an external amp, so it's got a different connector, but it should have the 2 connectors somewhere else in the dash there. If you're trying to use an aftermarket stereo that is.

If you want to use the factory stereo, it's junkyard diving time.

Jeff

EDIT: It's an 87 MR2 right? I've never seen one with an external amp or non-standard connectors... :confused:

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I want to use the Alpine deck I had in my Supra.

The current harness is hacked and butt connected, whilist still using a a toyota headunit.

Are you saying I should keep digging in there, maybe finding something more Jeff?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Jeff Lange;1054147 said:
Sounds like it has an external amp, so it's got a different connector, but it should have the 2 connectors somewhere else in the dash there. If you're trying to use an aftermarket stereo that is.

If you want to use the factory stereo, it's junkyard diving time.

Jeff

EDIT: It's an 87 MR2 right? I've never seen one with an external amp or non-standard connectors... :confused:

I concur with what Jeff is saying. If it only has/had a single plug then its going to be an amplified system. <86 had two plugs, although they differed from the <87 in size. To my knowledge toyota has always used two plugs for non amplified systems.

Any chance you could get a picture of it? Chances are one of us can idenfity what you're working with by sight...

Also some information that may help.

Many times when Toyota uses an external amp they will have the 'normal' harness plugged into the amp as well. Metra part number 70-1761.

The harness from the radio will obviously feed the signal to the amp. The output from the amp is the 1761 harness. In order to bypass the amp you just unplug the harness and plug it into your metra harness. Easy Cheezy :)

Not sure if that was helpfull or confusing :)

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
p1054259_1.jpg

lol, it has a metal button
p1054259_2.jpg

p1054259_3.jpg

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Do the rear speakers appear to be factory?

What I am getting at is that very much appears to be a 70-1398 harness ( Metra part number )

The front speakers, ground, and switched power are in that harness. The rear speakers and constant power are in a second, smaller harness that you appear to be missing.

What color is the wire that is all by itself that you took a picture of? with the female spade connector on it?

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
purple and brown I tihnk.

Here is from MR2OC

Those are the stock connectors for the 85/86 radios. The 85/86 did not have rear speakers, so they came with a connector with a single wire that supplies +12V from the 10A HAZ-RADIO fuse. This is an uninterrupted supply of +12V to your radio so that you don't lose your presets."

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Big Wang Bandit;1054810 said:
purple and brown I tihnk.

Here is from MR2OC

Those are the stock connectors for the 85/86 radios. The 85/86 did not have rear speakers, so they came with a connector with a single wire that supplies +12V from the 10A HAZ-RADIO fuse. This is an uninterrupted supply of +12V to your radio so that you don't lose your presets."

Yeup, that's exactly what I was thinking

Big Wang Bandit;1054812 said:
I'm going to the yard tomorrow I think.

What i'm getting at is... Can I cut the harness from an 87+ toyota and will it adapt?

Sure, you could cut a harness out of a Honda and make it adapt.

just have to make sure the colors are correct and you can use any harness you desire :)