Wheels on backwards

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
Had new tires installed today and for the first time noticed that the wheels are marked LEFT and RIGHT. The last tire store had installed them on the wrong side and I didn't even notice! At least they had the tire rotation correct.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
they dont matter, but the sawblade patern is mirrored so they face the same way. [strike]theres nothing special about them that makes the left or right other than looks[/strike].

Last edited by a moderator:

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
I noticed this too. No one in this town can put a directional tire on the right way and have the rim on the right side of the car. And are they not side specific for brake cooling? That's what it seems like to me if they are on backward the holes can't draw in any air. Thoughts?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Skeezix;1759927 said:
I noticed this too. No one in this town can put a directional tire on the right way and have the rim on the right side of the car. And are they not side specific for brake cooling? That's what it seems like to me if they are on backward the holes can't draw in any air. Thoughts?

Correct...

:nono: @ Bio's post.. seriously dude if you don't know don't post.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I'm not sure how effective the pattern is for cooling, but I've made tire shops remove and re-mount my tires before to get them the right way.

"Um... You do realize that those are directional rims, right?"

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
^ I'm with him, take it back to the shop. Guaranteed to see someone facepalm.

EDIT:
I am guessing the tires are directional also?????

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
I noticed that the other day too, wen I was cleaning the wheels I thought it looked like they might be made to draw in air and shoot it toward the brakes... I can say it does make a huge difference in braking... Cause wen I had first got the car the fronts were on backward and I took the car out to a local canyon road and within 6 corners pushing to about 75~80% I got brake fade... A few weeks ago I had some tires put on and had then fix the rotation, I haven't had ANY brake fade sense then.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Can't tell you how many times I've had to have a tire re-mounted to be honest... it's almost worth your time to mark them (wheel and tire) with what corner they're going on.