Wheel Offset Calculator Question

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
I was looking a my uninstalled Work VS Rear wheels and noticed a label on the inside.

Amongst other thing listed it had the offset. It reads -18. Well I ordered 35 offset so I became alarmed.

So I plug the dimensions into the offset calculator and find that -18 gives me the same inner and outer clearance and extension measurements !

Someone enlighten me ^^

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
You post doesn't make much sense. Measure you wheel width, then measure your backspacing. From that you can determine your offset. Report back with your findings.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
If you used the calculator properly, going from positive 38 to negative 18 (assuming the same widths)

Inner Clearance:53mm MORE
Outer Clearance: EXTEND an extra 53mm

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Davismj711;1265522 said:
Correct Rodel I used it wrong.

Saw
Backspacing ? do not understand the terminology.

Thanks

Backspacing is the distance from mounting surface of the wheel to the inside lip of the wheel

Offset is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel (where the hub and wheel touch) to the centerline of the wheel

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Saw and Rodel

Measurements are 140mm backspace and 9 inch wide wheel. That 140mm measurement is where the inside lip of the tire would sit. It is 150mm to the end of the wheel itself.

I did a measurement to find centerline of wheel , and then measured from backside of hub to it and got 35mm. Which should be correct.

Still can not figure out why the label says Off -18.

Last edited:

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Are these 3 piece wheels? Might have the same sticker on the rear hoop as some other rim which has a much wider front hoop. I would say they just fucked up with the stickers and you have no problem. Have you tried mounting them?

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Saw

Yes 3 piece. No not mounted as yet, need to find a decent shop to mount my tires on them first.

I did google and find a decent web site that gave me the calculations for determining offset.

I suppose I could have done that on my own, but if we did that everytime we wouldn' have the pleasure of conversing with fellow Supra owners^^
Sometimes we maybe feel a little lazy also.

Anyway I got +35 so yes, the sticker is a mystery.