What's the little hole in the bottom of the water pump?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's in case the seal leaks on the pump shaft, if it didn't have a weep hole it would fill the breaings with coolant and trash them causing a massive failure.

As I said earlier time for a new pump.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ This. Most pumps have what's called a face seal. It's a spring loaded bit that forces one critically machined surface (typically made from ceramic or carbon) against another. When that interface wears to the point of leakage the fluid will weep out the hole. A face seal can be replaced but few people bother to do it on automotive pumps.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ohhh boy.

Ok thank you all for the good information! I'll throw this on my list of to-dos. This probably explains the very slow coolant loss I was experiencing. Guh.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Figit090;1481448 said:
ohhh boy.

Ok thank you all for the good information! I'll throw this on my list of to-dos. This probably explains the very slow coolant loss I was experiencing. Guh.
Yes... and keep in mind this will go from a small leak to a LARGE leak in a very small, entirely unpredictable, period of time.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Sounds scary, I'll put that pump on my shopping list.

We know of any brands to avoid? I noticed they range from a 30 dollar Cardone brand to a 60 dollar Master Pro brand or a 75 dollar Beck/Arnley

Oddly, there is a reman. Cardone for 41 dollars...it's more money? lol...ok

I'll probably buy a cheaper one but I dunno. If there's any knowledge on what's good throw that in!

:) thanks again!

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
i bought a toyota one for my rebuild

this is a old one that was taken off the car
p1481651_1.jpg

toyota water pump
p1481651_2.jpg

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Figit090;1481632 said:
Sounds scary, I'll put that pump on my shopping list.

We know of any brands to avoid? I noticed they range from a 30 dollar Cardone brand to a 60 dollar Master Pro brand or a 75 dollar Beck/Arnley

Oddly, there is a reman. Cardone for 41 dollars...it's more money? lol...ok

I'll probably buy a cheaper one but I dunno. If there's any knowledge on what's good throw that in!

:) thanks again!

Ive used all of those Go toyota its worth the few extra dollars. You'll thank yourself when your not doing the same job over again in 12 months.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock is a stamped impeller (as seen in the pic ^^). Most of the aftermarket ones are cast impellers and I've seen several impeller failures in my time on the forums... I bought one from the dealer for that reason.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IJ.;1481430 said:
It's in case the seal leaks on the pump shaft, if it didn't have a weep hole it would fill the breaings with coolant and trash them causing a massive failure.

As I said earlier time for a new pump.

Must you dispell myths all the time?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I bought an AutoZone remanufactured pump with a cast impeller, and it lasted 20k miles until I sold the car, for about $50. Regardless, I would still recommend buying the OEM part. The impeller is much less bulky, and probably flows a LOT better.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
johnathan1;1482083 said:
I bought an AutoZone remanufactured pump with a cast impeller, and it lasted 20k miles until I sold the car, for about $50. Regardless, I would still recommend buying the OEM part. The impeller is much less bulky, and probably flows a LOT better.

Well There is one company that seems to use stamped impellers...I might try to get one if the price is right. I might not be able to afford a toyota part but I AM waiting until Monday to check the price on one. 75 dollars is probably my next paycheck.:nono::icon_mad::cry:

IJ: lol.:biglaugh:

I've gotten used to you always putting in a your $.02; and it usually equates to much much more $$ in reality. Either in more money spent fixing, or more money saved by doing it better. :icon_bigg