Whats N/A mean?

Supraman_Lois_Lane

Mar 11, 2011
bridgeport
I have an 88 with a 7mgte in it, but my friend keeps calling it an N/A. Isnt an N/A the 7mge motor? Mine has no turbo in it right now i guess its technically a 7mge motor..

Does NA talk about the engine or....

It had a 7mge auto but was swapped for a 7mgte manual

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
there would be no rotor. it uses CPS. so do you have a 7mgte thats in pieces? or do you have a non turbo engine?

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
NA means naturally aspirated. A naturally aspirated motor has no form of forced induction, like a turbo or supercharger. IF you have a fully built $100k Turbo motor, and you get rid of the turbo at the last minute, your car is N/A. It has nothing to do with the motor, internals, etc. NA=NO BOOST

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
spikesnstuff0905;1686743 said:
NA means naturally aspirated. A naturally aspirated motor has no form of forced induction, like a turbo or supercharger. IF you have a fully built $100k Turbo motor, and you get rid of the turbo at the last minute, your car is damn slow. It has nothing to do with the motor, internals, etc. NA=NO BOOST

fixed :)

but yes, as mentioned, no turbo=naturally aspirated, regardless of block/head config.

Supraman_Lois_Lane

Mar 11, 2011
bridgeport
barkz;1686742 said:
there would be no rotor. it uses CPS. so do you have a 7mgte thats in pieces? or do you have a non turbo engine?

I have a 7mgte but the guy i bought it from, removed the turbo a year before he stopped driving it.

PureDrifter;1686752 said:
fixed :)

but yes, as mentioned, no turbo=naturally aspirated, regardless of block/head config.

So not having a turbo installed on a 7mgte changes the spark plugs? Seems weird.

The reason i ask all this is because were giving my car a much needed tune up and we were looking up plugs caps and rotors and such. When i looked it up there were different parts mentioned.

I have a 7mgte BUT the turbo is not on the car. He had a turbo on it at one point but removed it.

Basically my issue is, im doing a tuneup. When buying parts do i say i have a supra NA or a supra turbo?

In this context, i seem to think na=7mge and turbo=7mgte.

Spark Plug Type:
7M-GE NA?????? I mean my engine has no turbo RIGHT NOW but its not a 7mge
NIPPONDENSO PQ16R
NGK BCPR5EP11

7M-GTE Turbo??? I have a 7mgte but no turbo installed. Not even a stock one.
NIPPONDENSO PQ20R-P8
NGK BCPR6EP-N8

7mgte doesnt have a distributor cap. So when i look up the parts for a NA supra, how do i find a distributor cap for my car? They ask turbo or NA? i have a turbo motor (7mgte) with no turbo installed. So my engine has no distributor cap but im NA so i dont buy the turbo coil and ignitors and just duct tape it to my door handle?

Obviously i understand that the 7mgte is a turbo engine and that NA has a meaning outside of parts lookup but some parts are different between the two motors, regardless of if there is a turbo...right?

Sigh....I just want to do a damned tune up! haha

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
well, are you running the engine with 7MGTE electronics, minus the turbo, or are you running a 7MGTE on 7MGE electronics?

The reason I ask is because there are a few vital differences which render certain parts incompatible. You can't just slap a 7MGE distributor where the 7MGTE CPS was, same with injectors, AFM/MAF, etc.

Post up a picture and we can help further.

Also, if you're running a low compression 7MGTE without a turbo, you're wasting a lot of gas and losing quite a bit of power..

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Is it running with out a turbo? Did the guy sell you a n/a and tell you he just took off the turbo?

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Do your wires run from a distributor to the plugs or does it have coil packs?

Supraman_Lois_Lane

Mar 11, 2011
bridgeport
The engine stamp says 7mgte.

The car was an NA supra auto. He swapped for a 7mgte with the r154 tranny.

Since he ran it with a turbo id imagine he has the 7mgte Electronics.

So while my engine is techinally NA right now, i use the turbo parts because its the turbo engine correct?

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Its a 7mgte. It shouldn't have a distributor. I haven't spent enough time looking under the hood seeing as i bought it only a few days ago, but ill post pictures of the engine tomorrow. Id do it now but i live in a shitty part of town and its pitch black out. Not about to go outside and pop the hood and shoot photos haha.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
pic of engine needed. you are confusing lol. good luck running the GTE without the turbo... i think you got hosed if he told you it was turbo and "he just took the turbo off". doesnt work like that. if you have a "y" pipe going to you intake mani, it is NA, if its got a straight pipe then its turbo. im just having a hard time understanding what your saying lol

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
He probably just threw a timing cover from a GTE on the GE lol. Sounds like you may have one bastard of a motor. Pics will help 1000X more

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Well, how much did you buy it for? The R154's price is going up, so if you got it dirt cheap, you might actually make more parting it out than to keep running an unknown motor with a sketchy history (it WILL become money pit if the swap was done badly)...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Slightly off topic here by now, but nevertheless...

N/A means Not Applicable, and has nothing to do with engines.
NA means Naturally Aspirated, and means there's no forced induction on an engine.
NT means Non Turbo, and means there's no turbo on an engine.

Back on topic... pictures will certainly help.